Saru Inc

Schrödinger's Pussy
Donor
Sep 13, 2010
MBTI
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
So apparently, INFPs are run solely by Fi's motivation and etc. And please take note that I'm not all that informed about the how fi/fe ni/ne si/se or ti/te. But heres the catch, the INFPs I know, both IRL and online, are all very concerned about how other people are feeling, I hate to inconvenience someone, and I can't stand it when other people do as well.

An example of this is how I always speed, and use my turning signal when I am driving, all the time. It's not the fact that I am always late, nor that in the past not using my blinker has gotten me into trouble. I just find it incrediblly rude and insensitive to drive slow/not use the blinker. It just shows a general nonchalante distaste for humanity. Bugs me. But that's mainly a different story.

So I guess I'm just confused, doesn't Fi mean you'd be concerned with your own feelings? And Fe with other peoples feelings? Or do I have this all wrong? :m104:

So I guess I'm just confused, doesn't Fi mean you'd be concerned with your own feelings? And Fe with other peoples feelings? Or do I have this all wrong?

Not at all, although I think that's a common conclusion when someone's first learning about type/processes.

The difference between Fi and Fe, from what I understand, is basically individuality vs. conformity. That's not to suggest strong Fe users have no sense of self or are doormats, but they're more likely to conform to group values, social customs, etc. for the sake of harmony and possibly at the expense of their individuality. Whereas Fi dominants (or anyone with strong Fi) typically have stronger needs to assert or maintain their individuality. This includes beliefs, personal values, etc. Not to say Fi's will do it at the expense of group harmony (although some obviously may), but that's a basic difference.

Last edited:
Fi is not a selfish function.

So apparently, INFPs are run solely by Fi's motivation and etc.

Nope - INFPs, in theory, have Fi as their primary function. That said, like all of the 16 MBTI types, INFPs use all 8 of the cognitive functions - they are not solely run by any single function, nor is any type solely run by a single function.

So I guess I'm just confused, doesn't Fi mean you'd be concerned with your own feelings? And Fe with other peoples feelings? Or do I have this all wrong? :m104:

Fi is a cognitive function that judges this vs. that, based on reference to an internally-derived hierarchy of values defined from a people-based perspective and focus.

Fe is a cognitive function that judges this vs. that, based on reference to an externally-derived hierarchy of values defined from a people-based perspective and focus.

---

Your approach to driving reflects your values as it concerns various sources - consideration of others, respect for the law, avoidance of punitive consequences, efficiency, and so on. It is a very complex behavior that cannot be reduced to any single cognitive function. Convincing arguments could be made for all of them, and indeed, all 8 functions are active within a person at any time - well, at least according to Jung.

cheers,
Ian

Reactions: IndigoSensor
An INFP typically has Fe as his/her Oppositional Role, the strongest and most familiar of the shadow functions. This function is usually quite strong but not all that pleasant. We tend to use it quite well in the short term but find its use quite draining and so can't keep it up for very long. It is where we tend to become obstinate, argumentative, and upset when others are using the function poorly. It would not surprise me if oppositional Fe made one even more upset then dominant Fe would with others being insensitive to those around them. It would however not go as far out of its way to help others, especially when they have had the same problem for a long time.

Reactions: Gaze
*I've tried, god knows I've tried*
*can't stop myself.....*

FO FUM!!!

*okay, I feel better*

*I've tried, god knows I've tried*
*can't stop myself.....*

FO FUM!!!

*okay, I feel better*

LOL i was waiting for someone to say that xD

confused.

I always looked at it this way:
People who use Fi will be interested in consistency. They will avoid changing the way they act for the sake of others. Thus, they will try to find a way to still be themselves, but also keep harmony in a group setting (unless someone does something that opposes their personal values, in which case they are likely to be hurt or made uncomfortable). People with strong Fi don't like to compromise their consistency. They also never let themselves forget where they stand on something. They know who they are, and have a good sense of who the people around them are. They'd be more comfortable with really good friendships where they know the person really well, as opposed to having several acquaintences, which is more typical of someone who uses Fe strongly.

Fe is all about being appropriate. People with strong Fe will adapt to social situations based on the vibe of the group dynamic; or the unspoken rules. Fe's will try not to offend anyone, and like to make everyone feel comfortable. It's like we get into a character almost. We're still being ourselves, but we're showing different sides of ourselves to different people, and hiding sides that we sense the other people in the group either wouldn't apprciate, or wouldn't be interested in. Where Fi's are usually good at knowing people's motivations and emotional states, Fe's are good at picking up on the values of the group or individual of interest, and use that to find the right words. It's like Fi asks "do I feel like I can trust you?" and Fe asks "do you feel like you can trust me?"

For example, my sister is an INFP. Since she uses Fi and Ne, she is always talking about a lot of different things in conversation. Some things she says aren't quite relevant, and she sometimes talks about things that other people in the group don't really find all that interesting. This usually means that she gets the attention of one or two people, and they end up in their own conversation, which she likes, because she likes to get to know people one on one and get a feel for them. She'll pick up on who she can and cannot trust, and avoid those people that rub her the wrong way. She also doesn't like to be all give; she needs someone to show they care about her too. If she knows a relationship won't work out, she isn't going to try to make it. Fi's don't want to waste their time with meaningless relationships; they want to build deeper ones.

For me, on the other hand, I like to make sure I'm not leaving anybody out of the conversation. I'll try to keep everything within common interest, and be sure not to say anything too irrelevant or that has the potential to come across differently than I intended. Fe's tend to be extremely careful with words. Fi's can be, too, but they tend to talk more about personal interest than group interest. My sister often wonders why I act differently with certain people, or why I didn't bring up a certain topic in conversation. Fe's often run the risk of coming across as hypocritical, because they aren't a consistent in their communication style as Fi's, and Fi's usually pick up on inconsistently very easily. Fe's are fine with giving more than they're getting back. Mind you, this means that we tend to have more acquaintences and friendly conversations that don't really lead to much more than that, but we're OK with that to some degree. With the true friends we have, that's quite a different story...

This site I find has pretty good explanations:

Fe - http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/extravertedfeeling.html
Fi - http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/introvertedfeeling.html

Fi is my auxliary function. I'll have a go at expressing it in my own words, but I don't think I can explain it as well as in the description above. Is worth a read.

My basic understanding is that Fe is more about the desire to connect (or disconnect) with others through "social graces" etc. With me, it's not that I don't have a desire to connect with others. Us ENFP's are people people, and love connecting with others. But perhaps we're not as good at expressing how we feel, or perhaps a little more apprehensive to. I guess for me, Fi is my values and the barometer by which I react. Not to say that I don't think at all (eg. Te), it's just that values (and people) mean more to me than rules.

Last edited: