Fi = anger? | INFJ Forum

Fi = anger?

My Ti suppress my anger. I think.

Uh... whatever it comes from, it's definitely a cognition INFJs use... and how! :m169:

This is a good question. I seriously wanna know where it comes from now. Since we, (INFJs), have it in such volume, though suppressed for me, I would attribute it to a feeling function, but... I'm sure [MENTION=3473]InvisibleJim[/MENTION] will break it down for us, posthaste.

I imagine it would be different for the various types, wouldn't it? What causes one type to anger won't necessarily make another type angry. Obviously.

I can see how Fi would bring on anger. My guess is probably whichever function is the least developed for your type would probably cause frustration often.

Yeah, I was thinking, it would be Ti for us , but more likely Fi for INTJs. That's very interesting to think about. Ours would definitely come out more quickly in the heat of the moment, say, crime of passion, whereas I think it would manifest completely differently for them. hmmm....

Last edited:
I really don't think that a cognitive function is the cause of a certain emotion. Everybody, whatever their type can have any sort of emotion. All types can be angry. Cognitive functions doesn't determine what you do or feel but why you do it. The reason for being angry can maybe be traced down to a certain function, or better a certain use of the function or a clash between your function and the function of an other person. But saying that this is my angry function and this is my happy function is, I'm sorry, pretty stupid!

And I don't see at all how you would come to Fi as the angry function. If I had to name a function that has in my eyes associations with angriness I would point my finger towards Se. So this idea has probably more to do with how you look upon functions and types than with objective analysis of cognitive functions...

Reactions: under skies
i never get angry, and some think i'm Fi dom. so yeah.

i've heard from some psychologist that anger is what happens when sadness and frustration are mixed. it makes sense to me.

Reactions: grt$5vb
Hmm, I don't think it's reasonable to dump one emotion on a single cognitive function.

What about those for whom Fi is NOT in the first 4 cognitive preferences? i.e "don't have" Fi. Does that mean they wouldn't ever get angry?

I really don't think that a cognitive function is the cause of a certain emotion. Everybody, whatever their type can have any sort of emotion. All types can be angry. Cognitive functions doesn't determine what you do or feel but why you do it. The reason for being angry can maybe be traced down to a certain function, or better a certain use of the function or a clash between your function and the function of an other person. But saying that this is my angry function and this is my happy function is, I'm sorry, pretty stupid!

And I don't see at all how you would come to Fi as the angry function. If I had to name a function that has in my eyes associations with angriness I would point my finger towards Se. So this idea has probably more to do with how you look upon functions and types than with objective analysis of cognitive functions...
^This.

From my understanding, anger is a product of frustration. Frustration can occur when a given function meets with a great deal of friction in life, but I do not think emotions are reliant upon specific cognitive functions for manifestation. We're all human, after all.

well I dont know about congitive functions. . but I think, for me, that anger is the product of not being able to express frustrations. . I get angry at people or situations that I cant express for fear of hurting someones feelings. . then I get frustrated. . then angry. .
ok I know it makes no sense. . but that's how it works for me. .

Like, I don't think any fucntion is responsible, but certainly function placements are. For example when you're 5th fucntion and you're first function conflict or something. THAT KIND OF THING.

Maybe... the day anger becomes a part of our cognition process, but
for now, anger will remain an effect that transpire after all four
primary cognitive functions has processed
something in the lines of
"This is unacceptable, I am now angry!"

So basically, no, anger is not Fi, not unless you're an alien
from outer space with different cognitive functions than ours.

Last edited:
Reactions: Odyne
It can manifest as Te, Se, gosh even Fe.
I've felt it come from basically any introverted process.

I don't think the functions are supposed to represent emotions. The functions go with perspectives and outlooks, not concrete mindsets.

I would not say that anger has anything with functions. Anger is anger...each type is prone to show it it specific way.
Example, we supresse it and boil and then - kaboooooooooooooooooooooooom!

Does anger come from Fi?

No.

Anger is an emotion.

Fi is a cognitive function concerned with (making a judgment based on) Feeling.

Feeling ≠ emotion.

cheers,
Ian

So IxTPs never get angry?