Fear Tactics and Gay Rights | INFJ Forum

Fear Tactics and Gay Rights

Discussion in 'News and Politics' started by Satya, Jun 21, 2010.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
More threads by Satya
  1. Satya

Satya C'est la vie
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INXP
    What do you think of this new trend?

http://www.sanfranciscosentinel.com/?p=78103

http://www.kjonline.com/news/anti-gay-marriagegroup-seeks-endto-fundraising-probe_2010-06-20.html

Do you think these people are genuinely afraid or simply trying to paint pro gay rights people in a bad light?

dark_angel likes this.
  2. 88chaz88

88chaz88 Back for a limited time only
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ????
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    I'm allergic to ignorance and I fear I may break out if I click those links. Could you give us a summary that I can make snarky comments on?

Edit: Wow... speechless.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #2 88chaz88, Jun 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  3. OP
    Satya

Satya C'est la vie
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INXP
    Done.

4. 88chaz88

Retired Staff

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ????
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    Of course it's all genuine. You know how fearsome those pro gay rights folk are. Puts the Russian mafia to shame.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Satya likes this.
  5. WellNoWonder

WellNoWonder Peace Through Action

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    6w5
    seems like a ploy to play into the sub-human deal...

now all of a sudden people are "afraid" of gay folks? whatevz.

Satya likes this.
  6. 88chaz88

Retired Staff

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ????
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    [​IMG]

7. Daeledin

Daeledin <font color=#575EC1>NVs Fanboi</font>

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    If so many people signed those petitions and then once defeated wanted their names to be kept private then they must not fully believe the tripe they're promoting. That is despicable. But it doesn't mean some of these can't be true. Every group has their crazies, gay or straight. However, if an opponent of same sex marriage can stand up to fight his case in the public sphere then he should be just as capable of reporting a death threat to an authority to protect himself and family. Ideally with some supporting evidence of who/what/why. Not that I've looked that hard but I haven't heard of any death threat investigation cases with regards to same-sex marriage from either side.

I have a hard time believing its genuine. I'm probably very bias but I hope its really because the arguments against gay marriages are so weak that people realize its fighting an uphill battle that shouldn't have to be fought.

NOM. It's the organization the people from high school that beat up and made fun of gays probably ended up joining because it was simply too much fun for them to give up. Now only they're adults and have to play by the rules. Which they suck at doing.

#7 Daeledin, Jun 21, 2010
    Blind Bandit and Satya like this.
  8. 88chaz88

Retired Staff

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ????
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    I was going to vote against gay marriage, but this guy came at me with two dildos!

[​IMG]

Kavalan and Satya like this.
  9. testing

On Holiday

Threads:
    MBTI:
    qwer
    Well... I think they probably are legitamately afraid of being harassed in some manner, because the truth is, most people around them probably know and love someone gay, (if they are straight) and would probably find their views somewhat repugnant. Repugnant enough to throw eggs at their cars, anyway. (says the article) Everybody has gay co-workers, neighbors, friends, etc. and very, very few people like the thought of their friends being subjected to bigotry, so the opponents would find themselves in uncomfortable situations professionally and personally, I have no doubt.

The article also said
    They're trying to hide unpopular views in both cases.

In a way, it is a good thing from the point of view of promoting gay rights that the opponents know their views are unpopular.

People should still be allowed to have unpopular views, though, and the death threats the article mentioned are pretty extreme and actually work against the cause of promoting gay rights, I should think. But car egging? Ah, get over it.

Blind Bandit likes this.
  10. DoveAlexa

DoveAlexa Chaz's Lovey Bunny
    Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    Well, isn't it the nature of being conservative that makes you afraid of f-ing EVERYTHING?
    I think that would explain it.

Blind Bandit likes this.
  11. testing

On Holiday

Threads:
    MBTI:
    qwer
    I don't know. I'm not particularly conservative, but death threats do make me a bit jumpy. Seems they'd have that effect on everyone. Shrug.

(The article said that the gay-marriage opponents had received death threats. I am not arguing against gay marriage, I am only pointing out that death threats as well as car egging and the other things the article mentioned might legitimately make people afraid.)

#11 testing, Jun 21, 2010
  12. DoveAlexa

DoveAlexa Chaz's Lovey Bunny
    Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    The degree the fear and threats were exaggerated (to be that ALL proponents of anti-gay legislature were going to be lynched if they so much as peeped) is what struck me as BS. A FEW people had threats, and now people are making it out that EVERYONE will die.

13. Flavus Aquila

Flavus Aquila Finding My Place in the Sun
    Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ - A
    Enneagram:
    It's too hard to tell if the fear of repraisals is real or concocted as a ploy in their campaign.

It's probably that there is some fear but it is being exagerrated for political purposes.

Nevertheless, if one decides to engage in politics, one should be prepared to be considered a pariah by the opposing campaign.

14. Skathac

Skathac <font color=#27A601>Community Member</font>

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Dunno, but if you are gonna have the balls to stand up and try to repress an entire group of human beings on the basis of sexual orientation, you damn well better have the balls to look every single one of them in the eye while you do it.

15. Barnabas

Barnabas Time Lord

Threads:
    MBTI:
    wiblywobly
    Enneagram:
    timeywimey
    both, I'm sure there are some whom do actualy fear speaking(whom have no reason to fear), some who are faking it and some who do actualy have a reason to fear.

I coudln't possibly give numbers to it other then to say the fakinging it and the irational fear are probably on top.

16. bamf

bamf Is Watching You
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    Meh
    Enneagram:
    Meh
    Agreed.