Fe and relating | INFJ Forum

Fe and relating

Soulful

life is good
Nov 18, 2008
MBTI
INFJs, do you like to offer understanding to another person by sharing stories of events in which you've experienced something similar to the speaker? Does this vary depending on how casual/light-hearted or emotionally laden the person's own situation is?

INFPs, are you likely to do this as well, or are you more inclined to say something to the lines of "I understand" without need to elaborate or relate yourself into the other party's story?

INFPs, are you likely to do this as well, or are you more inclined to say something to the lines of "I understand" without need to elaborate or relate yourself into the other party's story?

I do both. It's another way of saying "you are not alone." But sometimes, someone may think you are trying to steal attention away for your own problems or issues, which can happen *ashamed*. :D But yes I do both because it's another way of letting that person feel someone can relate. I often say "I understand" or "yeah" and nod sometimes profusely because I can relate to their feelings or I know what they're speaking about even if I've not gone through it myself. It's also another way of saying to someone that there's no need to feel weird or unusual because of the feelings they have. Hopefully, it makes them feel they're not so alone.

Last edited:
I share stories with people. If someone tells me an embarrassing story, I tell them one of mine, etc., etc.
I know I do that to establish a common ground with someone through self-disclosure..
You can tell when someone is sharing with you because they want you to get to know them and because they want to get to know you through that exchange.

It also definitely depends on what type of story or information is being conveyed. Sometimes people share things because they are having a hard time dealing with them alone.
If someone is going through some sort of crisis or if they are grieving and just really need someone to listen, I listen and offer support because I don't think talking about myself is appropriate at that time.

Last edited:
I do a bit of both, but usually I reciprocate information given because I like the idea that someone wants me to understand them. I figure that it is a good time to be understood as well, so I tell about similar experiences. Although if I don't think of you as a good friend or someone who could be a good friend, I mostly give an "I get what you're saying" even if I had a similar experience. I think the INFJ / INFP difference will be in terms who readily you will start to see potential in another person. I tend to easily see more potential than is really there.

Depends on how I take you. If I think you are interesting, and sometimes the most damaged people are interesting for a SHORT time, or once in a while I find a mutual suffering soul that kinda makes sense to me, or maybe a public Internet forum with semi interesting topics and people I don't expect to have over, I can express experiences or what's going on in my head and it's usually long winded. But if you bore me I will probably ignore you and maybe give a short answer.