Favorite character actors | INFJ Forum

Favorite character actors

Lerxst

Jul 3, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
I'm doing this partly because I have way too much free time on my hands and partly because I have no life in the first place.

So, as the title suggests, who are some of your favorite "character" actors - or actors who rarely get the spotlight or usually play supporting roles but end up "making" a movie. For argument sake, let's limit it to Hollywood style/budget films since a lot of them also end up in TV and Indie movies.

I'll start with an example:

David Warner - Saw him first in Time Bandits then saw The Omen a few years later on TV but will always remember him as Bob Cratchit (A Christmas Carol with George C. Scott). With his voice, I can understand why everyone wants him for cartoons and video games!

Oh this is an interesting thread... I could start listing off a bunch of actors that I at first thought would fit in, but then realized that they really don't lol.

Bruce Spence, hands down.

Has been in Mad Max, LOTR, Matrix and Star Wars.

Legendary win.

Andrew Divoff is another one and Phillip Seymour Hoffman was one until he got super famous (still love him).

Special Mentions: Stephen Tobolowsky, James Cromwell, Keith David, John Heard, Graham Greene, Erick Avari and J.K. Simmons

Steve Buscemi. . played in Fargo. . Reservoir Dogs. . always plays strange characters. .

Yeah, he definitely counts. Also saw him in Trees Lounge.

James Rebhorn - Betcha don't know who he is until you see his face :)

Yeah, he definitely counts. Also saw him in Trees Lounge.

James Rebhorn - Betcha don't know who he is until you see his face :)

Damn, wish you had money on that bet :D I recognized his name from some Seinfeld episodes. I checked out his IMDB page, and that's the only thing I've seen that he's starred in... boo...

He's not my favorite, but Michael Cera always plays the same goddamn awkward kid!

I'm doing this partly because I have way too much free time on my hands and partly because I have no life in the first place.

So, as the title suggests, who are some of your favorite "character" actors - or actors who rarely get the spotlight or usually play supporting roles but end up "making" a movie. For argument sake, let's limit it to Hollywood style/budget films since a lot of them also end up in TV and Indie movies.

I'll start with an example:

David Warner - Saw him first in Time Bandits then saw The Omen a few years later on TV but will always remember him as Bob Cratchit (A Christmas Carol with George C. Scott). With his voice, I can understand why everyone wants him for cartoons and video games!

YES! LOL! I grew up loving David Warner. I first saw him in "Time After Time."

My old and new faves:
Danny Kaye
Brad Dourif
William H. Macy
Ned Beatty
Joe Morton
Edward Herrmann
William Sanderson
Lance Henriksen
James Cromwell
Peter Sellers
Jonathan Pryce
Bill Duke
Andre Braugher
JK Simmons
Matt Frewer
Roscoe Lee Browne
Steve Buscemi
Don Cheadle
Brian Cox
Peter Sarsgaard
Oliver Platt
Alfred Molina

...and I'm sure dozens I've forgot!

YES! LOL! I grew up loving David Warner. I first saw him in "Time After Time."

My old and new faves:
Danny Kaye
Brad Dourif
William H. Macy
Ned Beatty

Joe Morton
Edward Herrmann
William Sanderson
Lance Henriksen
James Cromwell
Peter Sellers
Jonathan Pryce

Bill Duke
Andre Braugher
JK Simmons
Matt Frewer
Roscoe Lee Browne
Steve Buscemi
Don Cheadle

Brian Cox
Peter Sarsgaard
Oliver Platt
Alfred Molina

...and I'm sure dozens I've forgot!

Without cheating, those are the names I recognize. Give me a while and I'll pick out the others :)

Roscoe Lee Brown sounded familiar so I looked him up... Jumpin' Jack Flash!

Now for my two favorites...

Sean Bean - I know he's popular on British TV, but Hollywood only uses him for small parts and villains. Only reason I watched Black Death is because he had a lead role!

Will Patton - Fell in love with his role as General Bethlehem in the Postman.

Julian Sands

I have no idea.

Guy Pearce?
Sam Rockwell?

What makes something indy, how can even you tell?

I have no idea.

Guy Pearce?
Sam Rockwell?

What makes something indy, how can even you tell?

Generally think of them as actors that have never really been in the multi-million dollar Hollywood spotlight or have only had small roles in large movies.

Indy, some of my "artsy" friends would describe as a movie that either wasn't made in Hollywood and/or had a small budget (think movies that only last in the theaters for about a week, or go direct to Video or end up as features on the Sundance channel).

Here's another one:

Curtis Armstrong - If you grew up watching those screwball 80's comedies, you just know this guy :)