Galileo

Donor
Oct 8, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
The Challenger
Reactions: wmbab1 and not sure
this is possibly the best piece I have read on the subject, not just because it's written by my favourite author, but because of the excellent argument put forth from someone who not only stands to die a horrible death, but stands to lose a lot more than his life.

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/...Pratchett-law-allow-assisted-suicides-UK.html

Euthanasia and Biomedical Ethics was the subject of my General Paper. After doing all the research and considering the arguments I still couldn't say yea or nay when it involved third parties "pulling the plug". In such a situation I can only suggest that the person takes care of the issue themselves while they still can and personally hope not to find myself in a situation where I don't even have the option.

I think its a moral problem controlled by laws meant for other reasons. I dont know if I could end my family member's life.

Thanks for posting this, [MENTION=3230]Galileo[/MENTION]. It is a wonderful article.

Having worked for many years at a nursing home, I know firsthand the tragedy of those who wish to die with dignity and without suffering.

It was heartbreaking to be told I need to remind elderly residents with Alzheimer's or another form of dementia daily of their spouse's death and have them relive their grief as if it had just happened; which to them, it had. It was difficult to watch family members insist that their relative be tube-fed to keep them alive, in spite of the fact that other family members insisted that this was something the individual had said they did not want, but had no written advance health care directive.

Death is a natural part of life; why do we fight it so hard? Why do we insist people suffer through an illness when we aren't the one's in their position? It seems we truly do value life at all costs, and many turn a blind eye to what living with suffering actually means. The advances in medicine have allowed us to live longer; why should they not be utilized to assist us in dying comfortably when the time draws near?

we give dogs and cats more dignity in death than we do our own kind, it seems.

think its a moral problem controlled by laws meant for other reasons. I dont know if I could end my family member's life.

but this is just it, as a family member you should not have that choice either way. that sort of choice belongs to the suffering person alone. If you watch Choosing to Die, you will see that the choice was very clearly made by the two men in question, not their parents, not their wives, not anyone else other than themselves. some of the family members didn't even want them to go through with it, but at the end, only you can know how you would feel if you had to suffer the effects of a horrible disease, and so it should ultimately be your own choice if you want to suffer through it for the sake of your loved ones, or go on your own terms.

The doctors in the documentary were very very clear about that. one even stated that if you could not drink the meds yourself, she would not feel at all happy administering them.

I was completely unaware that people could be imprisoned in the UK for helping others go to Switzerland for euthanasia. It seems ridiculous.

There are risks to be considered about euthanasia - some people might be coerced into assisted suicide, for instance - but I like the general idea that people should be free to choose how and when they should die.