Falling in love: weakness or strength?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Falling in love: weakness or strength?

Reactions: Rasmus
Strength, for me personally. Happiness is best when I can share it with that someone special.

Reactions: Gaze
Seems to be both. Can be a weakness because it makes you vulnerable and a strength because it can make you have belief in yourself in ways you never thought possible and it can enrich your life and experiences.

Seems to be both. Can be a weakness because it makes you vulnerable and a strength because it can make you have belief in yourself in ways you never thought possible and it can enrich your life and experiences.

Yep I agree! And because you are vulnerable, you learn about your vulnerabilities and yourself, and you become stronger in the process. In the case of love, I don't think the weakness is a negative thing.

I don't recommend falling in love, but I do recommend comradeship and healthy respect between individuals.

Reactions: acd and Gaze
It's a very big strength! :) although to say it's either is kind of a misnomer, since falling in love isn't a conscious choice.

it is both. .
weakness because it can take over your whole life. . even if you dont intend for it to. .
strength. . because it allows others to see you. . adn gives you permission to let yourself go. . go into another person. . you have to have striegneth to risk doing that. . there is much to suffer if it goes badly. .

Reactions: Norton and Gaze
Strength even if the cost exceeds the means.

It is a state of being, how one handles it makes it either a strength or weakness, just as with any state. For me it is a weakness, but that could be due to the fact that I view it as such, or it could be due to my cynicism. For some people, that know how to handle it, it is a strength. So may be one that each individual learns with time...

how and why

How many times have I fallen only to hit the ground., how many tears shed only to have them unseen, how many times crushed under the bottle. I've fallen many times and clawed my way back from nothing.

Only the fearless truly find love, and overcome the sacrifice of oneself

Utilized efficiently, love ultimately strengthens; however,
there's a learning curve before that happens. Most don't
make it that far, hence a lot of repressed bitterness and anger.
"Clash of ghosts" is more apt, I think. Can't have something if you
have nothing substantial to add it to, and many are not truly "here".

I could take the biological stance and say "love" isn't a binary thing, that it's just a tool to facilitate survival.
I could take the psychological stance and say love is an amplified comfort factor.

"Love" is many things, but generally I think it's a good thing. Overused in general conversation, perhaps, but a good thing to have.

Reactions: Gaze and Soulful
Strength!

"Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage." Lao Tzu

"I love you, not only for what you are, But for what I am when I am with you." Roy Croft

"Love doesn't make the world go round, love is what makes the ride worthwhile." Elizabeth Browning

Reactions: Kgal and Gaze
I was only in love once... strength, pulled me out of a very dark place. I was very stable and the happiest that I've ever been.

If you're really falling in love and not just entering a dependent (or co-dependent) relationship that serves as a projection device or some way to assuage deeper feelings of societal pressure and/or insecurities that you ought to be dealing with on your own - then it's a strength. Otherwise, you've got no business being "in love" and need to take care of your bullshit.

Two of the biggest tell-tale signs that mark the difference between the former and the later are: 1) you want to give more than receive and 2) you don't worry about whether or not you'll have an identity (or even survive) if the relationship ends.

Reactions: bamf
it's neither.

Depends on the person you are falling in love with.

If you're really falling in love and not just entering a dependent (or co-dependent) relationship that serves as a projection device or some way to assuage deeper feelings of societal pressure and/or insecurities that you ought to be dealing with on your own - then it's a strength. Otherwise, you've got no business being "in love" and need to take care of your bullshit.

Two of the biggest tell-tale signs that mark the difference between the former and the later are: 1) you want to give more than receive and 2) you don't worry about whether or not you'll have an identity (or even survive) if the relationship ends.

+1 I actually couldn't decide on an good answer for this question because of the aforementioned quandry. I do think it is possible to develop a healthier relationship but if either party is unhealthy at the onset--disaster usually. The honest truth is that I like the intense feelings at the beginning of a relationship but find it kinda scary. I prefer the deep intimacy feeling that develops over time because being on the roller coaster of emotions makes me feel unbalanced even if it is fun.

+2.