Faking It: Women, Academia, and Impostor Syndrome

say what

I like soft things...so soft!
Jan 8, 2014
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4..maybe?
An interesting article on academia and females!

Impostor syndrome–the feeling that, regardless of your accomplishments, you’re still about to be unmasked as a fraud–is an all-too-common affliction among academics. Ironically, it’s the successful who tend to suffer from it: In order to feel like you’re faking it, you need to have already reached a certain level in your discipline. Think of it as a twisted version of the Socratic paradox–the more you know, the more you feel like you know nothing.

We’ve been talking about this phenomenon, and its consequences, for a while. The term itself, in fact, dates back to 1978–when a pair of psychologists, writing in Psychotherapy: Theory, Research, and Practice, identified “the impostor phenomenon in high-achieving women.”

The topic is telling. While both men and women experience impostor syndrome, women are far more susceptible. Given the messages of inadequacy that many women have internalized throughout their lives, it’s hardly surprising that many of us are wondering if we can hack it. Recently, I read Sheryl Sandberg’s Lean In. Instead of coming away feeling inspired, I felt unnerved: “Can I really do all of this? Can I be a successful professional woman?” Images of those hyper-successful and well-rounded women who have succeeded can make the rest of us moderately-successful women feel inadequate.

What’s alarming is that the more education and professional skills women acquire, the less confident we seem to feel. Witness a recent survey of undergraduates at Boston College, which showed that female students finished college with lower self-esteem than they started with. Male students, on the other hand, graduated with greater self-confidence (albeit lower GPAs) than their female peers.

What’s to blame for that divergence? The survey’s findings point to “the pressure to look or dress a certain way” and “the hookup culture” as major contributors. Which makes sense: It’s no secret that women face tougher beauty standards than men do. And if a female student feels insecure about her looks, that may leave her feeling less confident in other areas, including the classroom.

I’d venture to say that this dynamic doesn’t go away in graduate school. And these pressures, modified for a more professional setting, continue further up the academic ladder. When packing for academic conferences, I’ve spent more time than I’d care to admit trying to find that perfect outfit that adheres to professional standards, but isn’t too frumpy or too risqué.

That’s not to say I favor the gender-neutral standard of ill-fitting grey pantsuits that’s in vogue in my mostly male discipline; I’d just rather not to have to worry that I’m being judged on the length of my skirt, or whether my hair is up or down, instead of my intellect. In her book, Wonder Woman: Sex, Power and the Quest for Perfection, Barnard College’s president, Deborah Spar, calculated the amount of time she spends on self-care just to meet the excessive societal expectations for women. (Spoiler alert: It’s considerable.) I’d wager money that her male peers, and mine, don’t spend anywhere near that much time on their looks, nor do they feel much pressure to do so. Sadly, though, it’s another hurdle women must jump through just to step into the game, even in academia.

Ridiculous beauty standards aside, female students may also face real obstacles to being heard in the classroom. In college seminar courses, where students are expected to debate and discuss what they’re learning and participation often counts toward their grade, female students may come to feel unwelcome if male students are allowed to interrupt and dominate discussions, as studies show males are wont to do (sorry, guys). Anyone who’s ever attended a Ph.D. or law seminar knows what I mean.

Unfortunately, even well-intentioned and fair-minded professors may inadvertently reinforce outdated gender norms by praising or calling on men more than women. Those cues, if they occur often enough, can shake female students’ intellectual confidence and signal to them that their contributions aren’t as valued as those of their louder (and ruder) male peers.

As women progress through college, grad school, and their careers, these daily inequities can easily add up. And that can undermine women’s professional performance on everything from job applications to salary negotiations; it can even hurt their tenure prospects. For example, studies have shown that women generally apply only to those jobs for which they’re totally qualified, whereas men tend to have no compunction about applying if they meet some, but not all, of a job’s requirements. Women are less likely to tout their own research and more likely to be saddled with excessive service commitments than men are, too.

And is it any wonder women often have a harder time negotiating when they’re not only fighting a “negotiation double standard,” to borrow a phrase from Slate’s Katy Waldman, but also their own self-doubts? If we downplay our achievements and question our own abilities and worth, then how can we expect hirers, colleagues, publishers, and tenure-and-promotion committees to recognize them?

On the bright side, impostor syndrome may drive some people to work so hard that they succeed in spite of their chronic self-doubts, assuming they don’t burn out first. For the rest of us, though, the first step to kicking our feelings of inadequacy may be recognizing where they come from and talking about them. As Robin Fleming, chair of the history department at Boston College, said of her institution’s survey: There’s a “kind of solidarity” in knowing that maybe you aren’t “the only person who [feels] that way.”

That’s where support groups can help. Feminist groups can bolster women’s self-esteem by providing safe spaces for discussion and affirmation that yes, they do belong in academia. In fact, a number of female academics from my own economics program meet occasionally to discuss our experiences. There are stories of being talked over in the classroom; of feeling uncomfortable speaking up in seminars while our male colleagues ask even the most inane questions without hesitation; of our advisors launching uncomfortable inquiries into our personal lives; of how our academic schedules affect our romantic lives. And through this, we support and encourage one another as women to acknowledge our academic achievements and our place in our program. We call ourselves the Economisses.

Likeminded confederations–like the Art + Feminism Wikipedia Edit-a-Thon group, which draws attention to the important contributions of women in academia–can help women recognize and promote their own accomplishments on a personal and professional level.

But fighting impostor syndrome goes beyond that. If you’re a teacher, for example, it’s worth thinking about how you can change the culture around you.

Professors can make a concerted effort in the classroom to note the contributions of female students and encourage them to speak up. (I, for one, always appreciate it when a professor says, “We haven’t heard from any women yet.” This practice not only draws attention to the role of gender in the classroom, but also explicitly lets women know that they are, in fact, welcome.)

And as a professor, you can make a surprising difference just by opening up about your own academic insecurities. Talk frankly with your students about how you overcame doubts or are still working to overcome them. Knowing that professors feel like fakers from time to time, too, might help the rest of us feel a little less self-conscious–and a little more like we belong.

https://chroniclevitae.com/news/412...postor-syndrome#sthash.pSM0ra2Y.lkZ4mPLi.dpuf

Reactions: mintoots
this article was passed onto me by a female mentor of mine- we often discuss the issues women in academics. Tbh, outside of these conversations and periods of reflection, I don't think much about how my gender impacts my work.

However, this article made me reflect on a few things.

I certainly have experienced imposter syndrome and felt that I was at a disadvantage for being a female in academics- however, I never linked them, but it makes sense! As a young professional who is childless and single, I often feel that people also see this as a negative or a downfall of me. I worry that people think (1) that I've selfishly chosen to pursue a career over a family, or (2) when time comes for applying to jobs, they'll feel that I am at a greater risk for 'maternity leave'/'motherhood' than a man who's my age. I think females have to balance the expectations of what other's think women should do, as well as feeling guilty for choosing to embrace the 'traditional' role of a female.

The author mentions that women should speak up and try and not be afraid of expressing their opinions in the classroom. I find this interesting because I often speak up in class and express questions/comments. But recently I've found that, especially in a male dominated environment, this almost works against me. It's a hard balance for women because those who show confidence outwardly are often deemed 'aggressive'; and heaven forbid you share how you feel because you'll be tagged "emotional"! This is added stress, and I don't think males think about this at all. I find that males often don't like me, and disregard me and my comments- referring to me as being "emotional", when I'm just being passionate about a topic. If I were male, they would just have a collegial debate - I've seen it! But if a woman shows conviction and confidence, she's getting 'worked up' and 'taking it personally'.

I've also notice that as a teacher, it can be a disadvantaged. I've been in a few situations where male students have tried to intimidate me (getting close to me, and leering over me) to change their marks. I've always been lucky that I've never been alone, but I've certainly felt scared by it- where I'm not sure they would have done it to a male. Also, my age and overall 'look' works good sometimes (as I can relate to the students as I'm young), but this same 'relation' often doesn't lend me respect and authority in the classroom. I've managed to work around it, and learn to be more confident in my presence, but I think it's something that men don't have to overcome or worry about.

Additionally, a woman's 'look' often is a huge factor. You don't want to look too sexy or beautiful, because you won't be taken seriously. You don't want to look to masculine, because then you'll be taken as 'just trying to be one of the guys'. If you look reserved, you're too motherly...the list goes on. I think these are issues many women face in a variety of fields...but it highlights the list of additional issues women face.

I've also notice that the female student- male advisor relationship can be quite difficult. I've been uncomfortable around my advisor a few times (him asking me to stay late and have a drink while he talks about issues in his marriage), kisses on the cheek, hugs, unexpected back massages. I think women experience this outwardly power dynamic a lot- and it's hard. If you approach it - and it doesn't go well - you're blacklisted and the hard work you've done is gone. So what do you do? You're left having to sit through it while it makes your skin crawl.

.....GAH!

Reactions: Gaze
What about INFJ males in this same setting or any work setting? I transferred out of a 3 year major in Secondary Education-English because I felt like a fraud for being there. I like literature, but I'm not a bookworm, I didn't try to analyze topics to death and I thought story writing should focus more on the creative instead of the technical. My classmates and professors all had me convinced that I didn't know anything despite being (at that time) a nearly 4.0 student because I didn't feel like psycho-analyzing Lady MacBeth.

Then again, there was a thread on here a couple years ago about INFJ males in general that discussed some of the more feminine traits we have... maybe this is just an extension of that?

[MENTION=2240]rawr[/MENTION] and I were talking about this not long ago!

Some times I feel I don't really know anything and just fake it. I also try not to make it a point that I'm female. That's bothered me subconsciously that I'm often interested in 'male' dominated fields and might not be taken seriously, so there's times I've come across as more masculine, over the top masculine, I'm more manly than men and have brass balls the size of coconuts masculine. I'm really conscious about that at times.

But really though in my heart I know I have the talent to figure out anything I want. I can learn. I have that skill. I'm not necessarily an encyclopedia - I don't have all the trivia on the top of my head - but most other people don't either. It's not that I know everything. I'm a problem solver so what makes me skilled is that if I don't know something right away I still understand the nature of the problem and can figure it out. This allows me to solve novel problems that the living encyclopedia people who only work by rote cannot solve.

Reactions: barbad0s
What about INFJ males in this same setting or any work setting? I transferred out of a 3 year major in Secondary Education-English because I felt like a fraud for being there. I like literature, but I'm not a bookworm, I didn't try to analyze topics to death and I thought story writing should focus more on the creative instead of the technical. My classmates and professors all had me convinced that I didn't know anything despite being (at that time) a nearly 4.0 student because I didn't feel like psycho-analyzing Lady MacBeth.

Then again, there was a thread on here a couple years ago about INFJ males in general that discussed some of the more feminine traits we have... maybe this is just an extension of that?

I think it's interesting to think about how males deal with imposter syndrome. I know they have it! :)

[MENTION=2240]rawr[/MENTION] and I were talking about this not long ago!

Some times I feel I don't really know anything and just fake it. I also try not to make it a point that I'm female. That's bothered me subconsciously that I'm often interested in 'male' dominated fields and might not be taken seriously, so there's times I've come across as more masculine, over the top masculine, I'm more manly than men and have brass balls the size of coconuts masculine. I'm really conscious about that at times.

But really though in my heart I know I have the talent to figure out anything I want. I can learn. I have that skill. I'm not necessarily an encyclopedia - I don't have all the trivia on the top of my head - but most other people don't either. It's not that I know everything. I'm a problem solver so what makes me skilled is that if I don't know something right away I still understand the nature of the problem and can figure it out. This allows me to solve novel problems that the living encyclopedia people who only work by rote cannot solve.

Do you think being masculine helps you in your male dominated environment?

Much like you, I don't like to think that my gender has any play in my success - i think it's kind of sad to think that it might!

This allows me to solve novel problems that the living encyclopedia people who only work by rote cannot solve.

Such as? How many people have you met who work only by rote?

Do you think being masculine helps you in your male dominated environment?

Much like you, I don't like to think that my gender has any play in my success - i think it's kind of sad to think that it might!

Well I've had people expect that I don't know things because I'm female, or be shocked about my interests because I'm female. I got sick of it and started to satirize stereotypical manliness, out of proportion as a criticism, and it kind of stuck.

It almost gave me confidence in an "I can act like this too because you're full of shit - it takes nothing to do this. Me tuff, you weak!" kind of way.

Reactions: mintoots
Well I've had people expect that I don't know things because I'm female, or be shocked about my interests because I'm female. I got sick of it and started to satirize stereotypical manliness, out of proportion as a criticism, and it kind of stuck.

It almost gave me confidence in an "I can act like this too because you're full of shit - it takes nothing to do this. Me tuff, you weak!" kind of way.

Interesting!

Does it bother you that you had to shift to reflect manliness to kind of be 'accepted' or 'taken seriously'?

I always feel a bit resentful that I have to 'talk the man talk' in my area. During our christmas party, I was surrounded my advisor and the other young male students- and I just wanted to kill myself because all the chat was "oh I totally banged this woman", "drugs, sex, I'm such a man" - and I totally resented and refused to engage in the penis measurement they were doing!

Interesting!

Does it bother you that you had to shift to reflect manliness to kind of be 'accepted' or 'taken seriously'?

I always feel a bit resentful that I have to 'talk the man talk' in my area. During our christmas party, I was surrounded my advisor and the other young male students- and I just wanted to kill myself because all the chat was "oh I totally banged this woman", "drugs, sex, I'm such a man" - and I totally resented and refused to engage in the penis measurement they were doing!

It bothers me in one way, the fact that such a thing is even conceivable.

It doesn't bother me in the fact that I'm doing it ironically and am amused by it. It's not fitting in, it's beating them at their own game.

It bothers me in one way, the fact that such a thing is even conceivable.

It doesn't bother me in the fact that I'm doing it ironically and am amused by it. It's not fitting in, it's beating them at their own game.

That's a refreshing perspective! It's seeing it as 'the glass is half full'! I like it!

That's a refreshing perspective! It's seeing it as 'the glass is half full'! I like it!

Yeah well it also helped that I started in a young web hosting company as the only female in an office full of manly dudes who were ridiculous at times. It didn't bother me then because they became my friends and that was just how they are I guess, and in a way I think that gave me their respect.

We'd do the Christmas party thing too and get piss drunk on Jager and stuff and it's like they didn't see me as a drunken female, I was a drunken dude. That was kind of cool in a way I guess.

I can identify quite well with the imposter syndrome. It doesn't matter what I achieve or how talented or intelligent others consider me. I'm always certain that I'll be found out as an incompetent buffoon. It does have it good side though, as without it I'd probably be an arrogant prick.

Interesting!

The ones who do that aren't men. They're insecure children who feel the need to puff their chest and put on a pathetic display of machismo to cover up how scared and insecure they are. I almost feel ashamed for being a man when around those people. Worse are the idiots who're fooled by this. They'll secretly moan about how they're not real men while putting on similar laughable displays.

This bullshit annoys me. Not because I don't fit neatly into male stereotypes, but because these archaic believes have held us back for centuries. There are so many talented women in history who did great things and never get the recognition they deserved. Think of how many more they were who could have added to the progression of humanity, but were cowed into accepting the role forced onto them.

Reactions: barbad0s
Hmmm. Interesting. I have always been myself. I speak my mind even though some of the things I say wouldnt be considered "masculine". Example, I do actually like Disney movies. I dont drive truck to drive a truck, I have an suv because it can haul outdoor stuff. Before that I had a sports car that I friggin loved. But when you lose you job... I think most guys drive trucks to "feel" tough. Its funny to me actually. Its likes this outer bs shell. But maybe thats just me. I do what I like, am what I am.

this article was passed onto me by a female mentor of mine- we often discuss the issues women in academics. Tbh, outside of these conversations and periods of reflection, I don't think much about how my gender impacts my work.

However, this article made me reflect on a few things.

I certainly have experienced imposter syndrome and felt that I was at a disadvantage for being a female in academics- however, I never linked them, but it makes sense! As a young professional who is childless and single, I often feel that people also see this as a negative or a downfall of me. I worry that people think (1) that I've selfishly chosen to pursue a career over a family, or (2) when time comes for applying to jobs, they'll feel that I am at a greater risk for 'maternity leave'/'motherhood' than a man who's my age.I think females have to balance the expectations of what other's think women should do, as well as feeling guilty for choosing to embrace the 'traditional' role of a female.

.....GAH!

I could never understand this argument. It was assumed on my behalf that I did not want to have a family and children and chose career (because I was so busy being successful n' all *eyeroll*). I am not sure how that came about but suddenly I was given this label that I never identified with.

Sometimes I feel like I am being destructive towards feminist objectives by living as an embodiment of certain female gender stereotypes, which in a twist of irony makes me feel like I'm batting for the men's team thus actually making me one of the guys.

I wonder what it is that makes women who are both successful and confident without the impostor syndrome, different from successful women who feel like impostors. I also wonder how applicable this concept necessarily is to reality, since this article is based off of ONE voluntary college study and ONE female author's opinion, and a term coined by two psychologists in a book written in 1978, which is a somewhat different sort of climate than it is now in terms of gender in academia and in the workplace. Not to say that these things can't be representative of larger-scale current phenomena, but that's something to consider.

I certainly felt the claws of Socratic paradox many times. And I think its true to some extend.
The ones that think they know are loud, overly proud of themself, feeling superior and thinking they know all of it.
The ones that really do know something, paradoxically are humble, prudent, cautious, feeling small and weak in the face of all the wonders and mysteries of Universe and existence.

And I've been trough both stages. Looking behind, I realise if I live again some moments of my life, I would hide in the ground because of shame, sp pathetic I was :D

Sometimes I feel like I am being destructive towards feminist objectives by living as an embodiment of certain female gender stereotypes, which in a twist of irony makes me feel like I'm batting for the men's team thus actually making me one of the guys.

I wonder what it is that makes women who are both successful and confident without the impostor syndrome, different from successful women who feel like impostors. I also wonder how applicable this concept necessarily is to reality, since this article is based off of ONE voluntary college study and ONE female author's opinion, and a term coined by two psychologists in a book written in 1978, which is a somewhat different sort of climate than it is now in terms of gender in academia and in the workplace. Not to say that these things can't be representative of larger-scale current phenomena, but that's something to consider.

So well said! And I completely agree!