Fake Anti Viruses!! | INFJ Forum

Fake Anti Viruses!!

Sep 20, 2009
MBTI
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
This is sort of like a rant, but they are so annoying!!! Why do people waste their time making them -_________________________-. I've been trying to remove this "antivirus scan" that its telling me that I have everything infected..I have tried malware bytes, trend micro, deleting all temporary history..and it won't go away...AHHHHH. :(

Usually, using the windows "system restore" is your best bet for things like that.

well ur screwed.... Next time its up end process Via control alt delete, task manager... next time stick with trusted sights... lol

Usually, using the windows "system restore" is your best bet for things like that.

What? No, this is very wrong. Some viruses can attach themselves to the core of the OS, and so completely restoring your computer only hurts you, as the virus will still be there.

OP try the anti-virus program from this site:
Malwarebytes.org

It's one of the best free programs out there.

Edit:
Well its gone for now due to system restore..:)..
I hope this isn't true.:eek:hwell:

I'm not sure how to get rid of them, but occasionally I will be browsing something and they will try to download onto my computer. It is really annoying. I don't let them though.

Just stick with software you know, and get it from the original site. Also, never use a commercial OS you've downloaded unless you are know its hash which came from the original site. If you don't understand, just don't ever download pirated software.

Did you try using a hammer? Preferably an iron and zinc infused one.

(In all seriousness, why not get a better antivirus thing? Unless you're referring to a virus you accidentally downloaded?)

Also, I don't believe you can remove a virus. Whether it's true or not, I'm going to stay on the safe side by wiping the old partition, and install my OS (virus-free OS) from scratch.

Back-up what's important to you. Do not back up executable files (applications or installers) as they may be compromised.

Ahh well...

I did try malwarebytes..it did not work when I did the scan..never downloaded software, just popped out of nowhere..I am very cautious about the sites I frequent.

Right now no virus with the system restore..I hope its not attached :(

Also, I don't believe you can remove a virus. Whether it's true or not, I'm going to stay on the safe side by wiping the old partition, and install my OS (virus-free OS) from scratch.

Back-up what's important to you. Do not back up executable files (applications or installers) as they may be compromised.
Don't you think that's overkill, especially when all you need is one program?

Ahh well...

I did try malwarebytes..it did not work when I did the scan..never downloaded software, just popped out of nowhere..I am very cautious about the sites I frequent.

Right now no virus with the system restore..I hope its not attached :(
Did you try the full scan?

You should also download Hitman Pro 3.5. It's great for browser infections.

Don't you think that's overkill

No. The problem is that it is overkill until it isn't. And you cannot be sure it is. It's not overkill when you don't let this shit happen in the first place. I am used to installing OSes, so it's not as much a big deal for me.

I would agree with you, but viruses are serious business.

especially when all you need is one program?
Says who?

this is why you don't download everything that tells you to download it. also, malwarebytes, vundofix, and combofix can help.

Hmm I may be abit out of the loop when it comes to viruses, not had to deal with one in a while.

That said the advice about using system restore to solve the problem isn't the best idea

source

If you know the virus signature, it will look something like

Win32/trojan.brt

Sophos usually have a good online database to get removal advice, also just googling it might help

Hopefully you should already have an AntiVirus?

If not, hmm like I said out of the loop on what's the best, as far as free av I don't really know, Microsoft security essential seem to be good. Paid av's

Eset smart security
F-secure

Your familiar with malwarebytes, there's also some free online scanners like trendmicro
You can also use hijackthis and check the log file with hijackthis.de warning this may show some false positives (ie, itunes services as threats) please Google things before fixing them to make sure your not removing something you need.

Be sure to backup all your important things, but please don't assume the virus will only infect executables, best to assume everything is infected, you can use your installed av or a service like virustotal.com to scan your files to make sure they are clean

While your doing this you may aswell check for rootkits, Sophos I think do a free scanner.

Note: since I'm on my phone I have really searched that much and done most of this from memory so the software recommendations maybe a bit out of date, please check things out for your self, but It should give you some pointers

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

No. The problem is that it is overkill until it isn't. And you cannot be sure it is. It's not overkill when you don't let this shit happen in the first place.
Mind = blown. :tongue1: Okay, let me sort this out.

"The problem is that it is overkill until it isn't"
Translation: The problem is that repartitioning seems unnecessary until the time comes when repartitioning is actually useful.

"And you cannot be sure it is"
Translation: And you cannot be sure of the future

"It's not too much when you don't let this shit happen in the first place"
Translation: It's not unnecessary to repartition when you don't allow viruses to infect you in the first place.

Interpretation for clarity:
The problem is that repartitioning seems unnecessary until the time comes when repartitioning is actually useful. And you cannot be sure of the future. It's not unnecessary to repartition when you don't allow viruses to infect you in the first place.

In response to the above, the idea is to repartition after being affected by a virus. It actually is unnecessary to repartition because of a virus, and especially if you don't have a virus already (in this case). Thus your argument is fallacious and you haven't proved anything.

I am used to installing OSes, so it's not as much a big deal for me.
That still says nothing about the necessity of repartitioning.

I would agree with you, but viruses are serious business.
Lol.

Says who?
You're right to ask this. Most instances take one program to fix, but not all.

"The problem is that it is overkill until it isn't"
Translation: The problem is that repartitioning seems unnecessary until the time comes when repartitioning is actually useful.
Incorrect translation when considering the context.
It is not overkill to partition your drive when the state of your file system is unknown.

"And you cannot be sure it is"
Translation: And you cannot be sure of the future
Incorrect translation.
You cannot be sure the state of your file system after a virus.

And to be preemptive: You cannot be sure the state of your file system before you suspect a virus, but the likeliness of being infected (when you're as safe as I am) is probably negligible.

"It's not too much when you don't let this shit happen in the first place"
Translation: It's not unnecessary to repartition when you don't allow viruses to infect you in the first place.
Correct translation.

Interpretation for clarity:
The problem is that repartitioning seems unnecessary until the time comes when repartitioning is actually useful. And you cannot be sure of the future. It's not unnecessary to repartition when you don't allow viruses to infect you in the first place.
Just to be clear: Based on my revisions in this post, you need to update your interpretation.

It actually is unnecessary to repartition because of a virus
It might be unnecessary.

Thus your argument is fallacious and you haven't proved anything.

That still says nothing about the necessity of repartitioning.

Lol.
Voided accordingly

You're right to ask this. Most instances take one program to fix, but not all.
My point is that viruses can be quite complex. Sometimes it's not as easy as "There's a virus. Get rid of it". Computer viruses may start out as an infected executable. But after it is executed, despite your faith and trust in anti-virus software, a virus might not be a tangible nor contained entity.

A virus can do anything to your computer that can be done via software, and more (assuming normal software doesn't depend on exploits). The implications of this should be quite clear (and fuzzy... ∞ - ?)

Last edited:
Reactions: EyeSeeCold
Incorrect translation when considering the context.
It is not overkill to partition your drive when the state of your file system is unknown.

Incorrect translation.
You cannot be sure the state of your file system after a virus.

And to be preemptive: You cannot be sure the state of your file system before you suspect a virus, but the likeliness of being infected (when you're as safe as I am) is probably negligible.
Ah, communication issue then.

Correct translation.

Just to be clear: Based on my revisions in this post, you need to update your interpretation.
Indeed.

EyeSeeCold said:
It actually is unnecessary to repartition because of a virus
It might be unnecessary.
Right! I was being arrogant, but this is what I meant.

EyeSeeCold said:
Thus your argument is fallacious and you haven't proved anything.
Voided accordingly
Your argument is still fallacious. This is illogical:

"It is not unnecessary to repartition when you do not allow viruses to infect you in the first place.

However, due to initial misunderstandings, some points were actually valid.

My point is that viruses can be quite complex. Sometimes it's not as easy as "There's a virus. Get rid of it". Computer viruses may start out as an infected executable. But after it is executed, despite your faith and trust in anti-virus software, a virus might not be a tangible nor contained entity.

A virus can do anything to your computer that can be done via software, and more (assuming normal software doesn't depend on exploits). The implications of this should be quite clear (and fuzzy... ∞ - ?)
Agreed, but the chances of a virus and its effects being unable to be removed are too low to determine repartitioning to be more efficient than antivirus programs; and that is my point.

Reactions: ZcM4xzkjgzCjytBc
huh.... alright, sorry if that was bad advice, then. I've heard that viruses can copy themselves into places so that the system restore won't help, but in my experience (as well as the experiences of everyone I've known), it's only the most debilitating viruses (which cause your computer to restart whenever they detect that you told an antivirus to scan, disable your wireless card whenever they find networks that could let you connect to the internet, etc.) that do that. I've had one or two of those fake antivirus programs before (tried to click on something else at the same exact time a popup came up... *grumbles*), and it has never caused any problems.

lol same with some of my friends I asked Frozen water. I did the system restore and I am currently running hitman like eyeseecold said :). Later I did malwarebytes and nothing is being detected. I do have an antivirus dj, and back up for the important stuff(I dont have a lot here) but for some reason trendmicro pro is not being of much help..

They are just trying to make money with bs software. Lawyers aren't the only 'leeches'.