Resident palindrome
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 21, 2015
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Have you ever met someone, or witnessed something that restored your "faith in humanity"?
Serious or silly, what's the story?

I'm a pretty jaded person. I struggle between caring about the world and saying, "Screw it, there is no point." I don't believe humans are inherently good. It's been a long time since I've met a human being that had the power to be awful, but was instead good.

The person who surprised me by being "good" is a very wealthy person, who owns a big family-owned company (you'd recognize it if I said the name) that is based in the US. He pays his workers well, they have a solid retirement plan, and he does not exploit sweatshop or child labor. – Basically, the exact kind of company Americans say they want more of, and that our country needs.

He let my friends (whom he honestly barely knows) camp on his acres of land next to a gorgeous lake for free, and brought in some impressive camping equipment, and even a porta potty for them, and refused to accept payment. So, he is essentially paying for their camping trip on his land. He's letting a friend host a private event on a different piece of his land. Later I found out he is involved in several charities, and during the winter he donates firewood to families that cannot afford heat, and delivers the wood himself. He doesn't do this for PR. He's genuinely nice, unpretentious, and a chill guy. You'd never guess he has money. His attire and behavior are unpretentious and low-key. He also has farm animals, and when asked if those animals are typically raised for meat, he replied, "Umm, yes, but these are pets." :hearteyecat:

He has the wealth and power to be a selfish, evil jerk, but he is kind.
You know how people list off big plans to live a generous life and help others "if they win the lottery". He lives that life.

It made my heart feel lighter to meet someone like him, and see that there are good people in the world who don't abuse their power.

@Pin - The world will explode of any bad stuff ever comes out about Mr. Rogers.
And yet, I expect something bad to come out about Mr. Rogers.

Bob Ross hands down lol.

He is awesome. I swear he puts me to sleep when he paints, and he likes squirrels!

Like me! :D

According to my strong introverted intuition, only good things come out about Mr. Rogers.

@Pin – I'm just cynical.

My cynicism has more to do with human nature: All humans are mutli-faceted and imperfect. Some humans thrive on outing and exploiting those imperfections. The public lacks the ability to see nuance and facets.

I doubt anything found about him could outweigh his overall "good" because if he did do something that terrible it would be public by now.

His positivity is like a laser that cuts through shields of doom.

Why are you bringing me up in this thread? :wink::smirk:

Holy shet. Wyote is secretly Bob Ross! I knew it!

ILLUMINATI

maxresdefault.jpg

I was thinking the same thing as I watched that. Would horns suddenly sprout out of his head? Why does he have such a menacing look after Mr. Feely leaves? Hmm...

I'm actually super-easy to please, and will love people for sharing their mini fridge or checking if I'm not dead when I come back from sick leave and giving me a fistbump.

I think I became so cynical I actually swung back around into being pretty relaxed about the mixed nature of people. We're not divine, just messy human fleshbags of bones and sadness.