Facial Expression and Fe/Fi | INFJ Forum

Facial Expression and Fe/Fi

Ryo

Community Member
Jul 7, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
[video=youtube;nItaf7vR620]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nItaf7vR620&feature=related[/video]

This video suggests that Fe users have more natural smiles and more expressive eyes while Fi users are a little more awkward and less natural.

I know I'm really intentional about my face (like I deliberately put on certain expressions, mostly smiles, to make people feel more comfortable). Whereas, I know a bunch of Fe users who say their facial expressions (for the introverts - mostly the eyes/upper half of the face) are pretty automatic.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Reactions: Nitesteamer
I will try and explain in best way possible:
When I have sufficient physical space between myself and someone else I think my face takes a neutral/serious expression.i hide myself Very well. When someone gets up close, particularly if i don't know them well, I find it
More difficult to mask myself. im very comfortable with serious conversation, and if it is directed towards the other person then i can still maintain a somewhat reserved outward appearance. If however the person redirects the conversation to me - wants to talk about me , comments about me , my face becomes more animated. My eyes 'glow' a lot; i show a
Lot of my expressiom through my eyes and this is something i cannot control. But only
Really happens when someone physically close to me. I also become quit smiley, but I'm not sure if that is more of a
Bashful thing.
I cannot comment where this fits in with fe and fi as I much of a novice in that area.

"Introverted Feelers are narcissistic and into themselves.."
Blah blah blah.

Incorrect, guy!

Last edited:
"Introverted Feelers are narcissistic and into themselves.."
Blah blah blah.

Incorrect, guy!

your motivation for selflessness is cause you felt the need for such, while fe knows to get good feeling when they have made the other feel well. so youd feel good whether it fails or not, but might disappear if you failed, depending on you.

all intro functions are self concerned, and extro functions the opposite. so put Ne in calculations = selflessness

Reactions: Icedream
I think it's ridiculous to say that Fi types are "more narcissistic" than Fe types.
Does he even know the definition of narcissism?
Fi and narcissism are two totally different things.. Totally incomparable.
And Fi types, "Don't quite care as much if your feelings are hurt.." This guy seems a little biased, and does not sound like a reputable source for any information on type.
At the very least, he's incredibly inarticulate in presenting his ideas and needs to rethink his words.
He also makes a lot of sweeping generalizations..but perhaps that is what type is all about..

I think the whole premise is bull, actually.
I don't think that having introverted feeling or extroverted feeling makes makes one more or less awkward... or more open to being expressive.
In my experience with people of different types, I don't find this to be true.

Last edited:
I think it's ridiculous to say that Fi types are "more narcissistic" than Fe types.

true true, but lets not think what he thinks while there is _small_ truth in it, when intepreted correctly.

What truth is there then?

as i side, the nature how functions are directed _from_, but they dont functionn alone (except whensleepinsonoworry!)
just imagine it as intro = me and extro = no me.

Reactions: Icedream
as i side, the nature how functions are directed _from_, but they dont functionn alone (except whensleepinsonoworry!)
just imagine it as intro = me and extro = no me.
I'm having a hard time understanding you, it's probably a language thing.

I understand that there are introverted/extroverted functions and that all of your functions work in tandem.
(If that is what you are meaning.)

I get the gist of cognitive functions..
I just don't think this guy has a point.

I'm having a hard time understanding you, it's probably a language thing.

I understand that there are introverted/extroverted functions and that all of your functions work together to achieve things...
if that is what you are meaning.

I get the gist of cognitive functions..
I just don't think this guy has a point.

yes, well intro function IF alone is extremely selfish, but your extro function is who to thank for how you understand others!
but i use ti + ni as you opposite, meaning i dont care what you say. really, i will imagine what you REALLY say of if nothing of contentual value, i imagine my own content and comes the aha, this person sees it this way, but expresses it wrong!

My body is very anime-ish. I smile alot, and you can easily read my mood(the mood i pretend to have, duh), and my mood is usually not only mine, but a reflection of what goes around around me. I think there's a Ni vs Fe wagon somewhere though, because I have this urge for harmony - - I really want harmony and for people around me to feel good, but I can't compromise on my system and my values (Ni) So I go into these fights to proove my point and to show them a way forward, while the Fe makes me change the way I speak my words, so that I consider others feelings and think before I go out there with my intuition, like, I'm trying really hard with the nonviolence communication, verbal aikido and similar techniques, to make sure I avoid pissing people off, to make sure we can understand each others. And I'm always thinking about how my actions make others feel, this is a cause for insecurity among many INFJs I think. Look at the ENFJs, they can be really insecure about themselves because they are ready to compromise alot of their values to blend in in any group setting, we have the same, it's just a weaker function for us, and we aren't ready to compromise it, we're ready to live in solitude if it means we can understand the systems. The Fe also means we can blend in in any setting easier, like me, I'm able to get in thousands of different groups, but my Ni makes it so I can never really feel part of any of them, just a shallow aquintance that tags along occasionally.

[By the way, are commaes INFJ?]

Last edited:
And Fi types, "Don't quite care as much if your feelings are hurt.." This guy seems a little biased, and does not sound like a reputable source for any information on type.
At the very least, he's incredibly inarticulate in presenting his ideas and needs to rethink his words.
He also makes a lot of sweeping generalizations..but perhaps that is what type is all about..

I think the whole premise is bull, actually.
I don't think that having introverted feeling or extroverted feeling makes makes one more or less awkward... or more open to being expressive.
In my experience with people of different types, I don't find this to be true.

I don't think Fi users are more narcissistic necessarily. And I definitely care if people's feelings are hurt - a lot. But I would say that if the whole room, including me, becomes emotional, I'm going to pay more attention to what's going on emotionally for me first. Maybe that's just me.

I will try and explain in best way possible:
When I have sufficient physical space between myself and someone else I think my face takes a neutral/serious expression.i hide myself Very well. When someone gets up close, particularly if i don't know them well, I find it
More difficult to mask myself. im very comfortable with serious conversation, and if it is directed towards the other person then i can still maintain a somewhat reserved outward appearance. If however the person redirects the conversation to me - wants to talk about me , comments about me , my face becomes more animated. My eyes 'glow' a lot; i show a
Lot of my expressiom through my eyes and this is something i cannot control. But only
Really happens when someone physically close to me. I also become quit smiley, but I'm not sure if that is more of a
Bashful thing.
I cannot comment where this fits in with fe and fi as I much of a novice in that area.

Interesting :)

So can you lie if someone comes really close and asks you a direct question?

Fe smiles = more alert, charismatic -- friendly smile

Fi smiles = softer eyes, not quite as engaging/alert as Fe -- still friendly

Normal expression: Contemplative, and to some, aloof.

Smiling: Face transforms and smile goes way up into my eyes.

Laughing: Face is transformed and eyes are SLITS.

Interesting :)

So can you lie if someone comes really close and asks you a direct question?

Te's, always seeking to exploit the most direct path, EVEN on humans! =X

I think this way of interpreting Fe vs. Fi is confusing motives with visual expression. Saying someone is less concerned about how others feel or think because they are Fi is wrong. I've know quite a few Fe who care nothing about how anyone else feels. Their concern is not "social harmony" but how they appear to others. Their Fe is more about keeping up appearances. Because our world has become about visual proof and showing how you feel on the outside, people are too easily misterpreting how others feel with what they express through their body language. Just because someone is not extroverted or socially expressive or appears to be outgoing or "interested in people" doesn't mean they don't care or are not interested in other people. That's ridiculous. In many cases, it's quite the opposite. Fi's are probably more comfortable getting to know people one on one or in smaller groups. Just because they are not going to approach a complete stranger and start engaging in conversation doesn't mean they are self centered and not interested in people. They simply approach communication a little differently.

I've met too many Fe's whose only goal is to appear the most noticeable in the room. When you are speaking to them, it's more about expending extroverted energy or being superficially nice than about getting to know you. My point is not to say that all Fes are the same or all Fis are the same.

We need to avoid these sweeping generalizations about types.

Reactions: grt$5vb and acd
INFJs seem particularly expressive when they're at ease. I notice it in contrast to myself.

Reactions: grt$5vb