Extaverted Thinking: tertiary, auxiliary, dominant | INFJ Forum

Extaverted Thinking: tertiary, auxiliary, dominant

technics

On Holiday
May 13, 2011
MBTI
Yes
I'd like to ask the Te people in here how they use/perceive their Te. In what way does it differ from people who have Te in a different rank? For example, do Te dominants grasp complex operations easily? Do they sketch more complex plans than Te auxiliary?

I know that article by, I think, Lenore. There's one copy on greenlightwiki.com, but that article really doesn't give much.

@swing , excellent thread

Te tends to be used as a fact/method database and as a consequence a conciseness engine in the auxiliary position.

If the facts don't line up when someone presents an argument it is easy to see the theory/argument isn't understood in depth yet. It's a goalpost check on ideas.

One misunderstood fact is that Te can happily flip to Ti when demanded, but its hard work, it's easier for ETJs to do this; compared to tert/inferior Te's who loathe doing the Ti details and working things out.

However as Te is the 'communication' method when in auxiliary it does lead to dedactic speech patterns and mannerisms which EPs seem to find quirky and FJs can often find unnatural. But that's a problem of IT reticence/lack of comfort with the surroundings and may be more related to having Ji/Pi dominant.

This taken together breeds the conciseness briefly alluded to above, which Ti dom/auxiliaries see as 'not enough depth' but EPs of all flavours find strangely reassuring.

Te Aux said:
It is what it is and it isn't what it isn't.

Reactions: grt$5vb
I've heard people say that Te is a fact or progress checker but that's not really how I experience it.

I think my Te is very much auxiliary to my Ni and I think it's pretty heavily supported by my tertiary Fi which is pretty strong. At any rate, Te, for me, is like a force of order and simplicity (and I could see efficiency - as [MENTION=3473]InvisibleJim[/MENTION] says above). It wants to arrange things in a way that makes sense with no redundancy or inefficiency. It hates waste of resources, I think. It loves eliminating unnecessary pieces.

I think this description captures it pretty well with highlights.

Contingency planning, scheduling, and quantifying utilize the process of extraverted Thinking. Extraverted Thinking helps us organize our environment and ideas through charts, tables, graphs, flow charts, outlines, and so on. At its most sophisticated, this process is about organizing and monitoring people and things to work efficiently and productively. Empirical thinking is at the core of extraverted Thinking when we challenge someone’s ideas based on the logic of the facts in front of us or lay out reasonable explanations for decisions or conclusions made, often trying to establish order in someone else’s thought process. In written or verbal communication, extraverted Thinking helps us easily follow someone else’s logic, sequence, or organization. It also helps us notice when something is missing, like when someone says he or she is going to talk about four topics and talks about only three. In general, it allows us to compartmentalize many aspects of our lives so we can do what is necessary to accomplish our objectives.

Reactions: grt$5vb
For example, do Te dominants grasp complex operations easily? Do they sketch more complex plans than Te auxiliary?

As to this, I grasp complex operations (probably largely due to Ni) but I don't like to sketch them. Simplicity is better. Less need for contingencies.

Whenever I describe Te, it inevitably ends up in a auxiliary position.

Te is a check to my Si. It points out discrepancies between my Si understanding of reality and fact, as well as providing an objective and accurate arbiter of truth.

Te's use of external facts makes sense to me as an arbiter of truth because it's evidence, it's proof. Galileo proved that heavier objects don't fall faster than lighter ones by doing experiments with ramps and the fact that they didn't means that idea is false. Not "not aligning with how the world works", to Te, it is false.

Everything is assessed for its usefulness, to the point where it can be crippling. The reason this can be crippling is because the 'objective' of life is very subjective and difficult to precisely define.

For me, "Extraverted Thinking" has always been the more complicated word for "judgment", in the sense of having good judgment. Anyway, aspects of my Te are like these videos:

[video=youtube;AJqPa97HRoM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJqPa97HRoM[/video]
[video=youtube;gZxZGmwWUrc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZxZGmwWUrc[/video]

I find that I have an excellent ability to teach/explain things to others because I can organize my thoughts well and summarize other's thoughts easily. I organize/break things down easily into it's component parts and recognize where people have a "disconnect" with the process. I just have that pesky dislike of most people which makes me reluctant to profer the help in the first place.

I also agree that I tend to work toward efficiency first in the things I do.

The best way for me to explain how I experience Te, especially in relation to Ti is simply this: I value Ti as it offers insights that I otherwise miss. However, in my opinion Ti is too rigid and inflexible by itself and I see things as tending to move and shift more fluidly rather than being static. For example:

Ti: At times, you must take one step back to take two steps forward.
Te: True, but there may be a way around.

In terms of Te being all about efficiency, that's merely an outcome of the above contrast between Ti and Te. Ti finds the way and Te cuts out the extraneous steps. :smile:

And I'm sure there are similar analogs for Ne/Ni, Se/Si, and Fe/Fi.

What about for infps??

Indeed @MisterNi

I do not subsribe to the idea that just because something has been done a certain way that it should be done that way. I don't think of it in terms of a "way around" but the "most logical way" to accomplish something. It normally doesn't occur to me to care either if "no one" does something the way I have devised either.

Besides, there is always another way...best to move forward, not back.

Reactions: MisterNi
The best way for me to explain how I experience Te, especially in relation to Ti is simply this: I value Ti as it offers insights that I otherwise miss. However, in my opinion Ti is too rigid and inflexible by itself and I see things as tending to move and shift more fluidly rather than being static.

I find it interesting that you contrasted Te to Ti. I agree with you that Ti is too rigid and inflexible, but I've never really seen such a gap between Te and Ti. To me the rigidity, inflexibility and - more important - the shortsightedness of Ti is most evident when compared with Ni or Ne. To me it has always been Ni and Ne who "found the way" and Te wrote down the "recipe". But then again, I work in a creative field, and you may be in a very economistic or technical field.

Reactions: MisterNi
And also: How often does it happen that you listen to your Feeling instead of Thinking?

And also: How often does it happen that you listen to your Feeling instead of Thinking?

My Feelings are normally touched in some way by my Thinking function. I rarely act out of emotional upheaval singularly although I can express my emotional upheaval as I have gotten older. I act out of my Intuition outside of my Thinking process more. If my gut says to do/not do something--I will follow that instinct.

Yeah I don't usually use Feelings to act. Te drives my extroverted life. My Feelings are very much a personal and internal thing. More like food for reflection and relating to others than impulse for action.