Executive Order To Keep Criminals Off The Streets?? No gun violence in jail. | INFJ Forum

Executive Order To Keep Criminals Off The Streets?? No gun violence in jail.

just me

Feb 8, 2009
MBTI
infj
We have the right to remain silent. Anything we say can be used against us in a court of law.

Ever hear that? I have heard time and again how repressive it is to give a job all you have, spend countless time, and finally catch a criminal using the laws we have........................................................only to see the person on the street the next day.

Do we have the right to remain safe? An extremely high percentage of thugs committing crimes are repeat offenders with records. Why are they on the street again killing other people? If you think it is because guns are easily accessible, I have some bad news for you: you have been brainwashed. The single biggest reason we have so much crime is because we have so many criminals(people that break laws) ON THE STREET. No, that is not breaking news; it is old news getting old.

How do we keep those people away from us? Our executive order should show how to keep them off the street, instead of letting them go so they can stack the odds against us. Our system is simple: F A I L U R E .

No guns in the prison system? Maybe that is where criminals should be instead of driving around looking for trouble.

Of course... I have been brainwashed! Now I know why I think all of the things that I do - it's not because I am capable of thinking, it's because I have been brainwashed. It all seems so clear and simple now. It's like my brain has been washed clean all over again. I feel so much better! Thank you...

Yawn. Yet another "discussion" on infjs begun with an all but explicitly stated refusal to approach alternative perspectives as valid on their own terms. On a repetitious theme that has previously consistently excluded meaningful acknowledgment of the validity of alternative perspectives. The studied attitude of resistance to learning is so not at all tantalising. We have had this rant before. Count me out.

Last edited:
Reactions: La Sagna and hush
Most people let fear rule them. Fear of the unknown. Since liberals do not know very much almost everything is unknown to them, so they fear everything.

Our prison system does not work. Our justice system does not work. Thats probably the biggest issue.

Most people let fear rule them. Fear of the unknown. Since liberals do not know very much almost everything is unknown to them, so they fear everything.

Our prison system does not work. Our justice system does not work. Thats probably the biggest issue.
You are all over this forum bashing liberals. Which is kind of a waste of time! But supposedly, "true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing." So what does that say about you?

Reactions: Skarekrow and the
You are all over this forum bashing liberals. Which is kind of a waste of time! But supposedly, "true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing." (Thanks Socrates!) So what does that say about you?

Yes. I truly believe the liberal mindset is what is keeping this world from evolving. Regarding Socrates...what a great mind especially for his time. But dont think that ideas cant be revisited or built further upon. I subscribed to the idea when younger but have a revision of it. Do not believe you can know everything in a way where you never have to revisit the knowledge you have acquired.

Reactions: dogman6126
Obama is supposed to make some gun ruling with his executive powers this next Monday. This is why it has been brought up again. So many failures, but guns are not the problem.

Now, guns in the hands of criminals on the streets do pose a serious problem. No law will ever make it where they cannot find a gun. Ever wonder what the reasons are why we have so many criminal minds on the streets of America, all politics aside?

Yes. I truly believe the liberal mindset is what is keeping this world from evolving. Regarding Socrates...what a great mind especially for his time. But dont think that ideas cant be revisited or built further upon. I subscribed to the idea when younger but have a revision of it. Do not believe you can know everything in a way where you never have to revisit the knowledge you have acquired.
Does the contention ever get exhausting to you, though? My entire family claims to be conservative and at my mom's house, she's always listening to conservative talking heads screaming about liberals. However, if I talk to her, there is much that we agree on... Mainly that the US government is a sham and corrupt and there is no more democracy and the justice system and prison system is ineffective at best. But keeping people divided serves the powers that be.

Last edited:
We have the right to remain silent. Anything we say can be used against us in a court of law.

Ever hear that? I have heard time and again how repressive it is to give a job all you have, spend countless time, and finally catch a criminal using the laws we have........................................................only to see the person on the street the next day.

Do we have the right to remain safe? An extremely high percentage of thugs committing crimes are repeat offenders with records. Why are they on the street again killing other people? If you think it is because guns are easily accessible, I have some bad news for you: you have been brainwashed. The single biggest reason we have so much crime is because we have so many criminals(people that break laws) ON THE STREET. No, that is not breaking news; it is old news getting old.

How do we keep those people away from us? Our executive order should show how to keep them off the street, instead of letting them go so they can stack the odds against us. Our system is simple: F A I L U R E .

No guns in the prison system? Maybe that is where criminals should be instead of driving around looking for trouble.

what do you propose?

Does the contention ever get exhausting to you, though? My entire family claims to be conservative and at my mom's house, she's always listening to conservative talking heads screaming about liberals. However, if I talk to her, there is much that we agree on... Mainly that the US government is a sham and corrupt and there is no more democracy. But keeping people divided serves the powers that be.

I would have to suppose that both liberals and conservatives have foundational reasons they consider themselves such and other people as such as well. However a oth also do not subscribe to every nuance of the related political standing.
I do not consider myself conservative though I subscribe to what I am guessing is about 60 percent of a similar mindset. The country needs to be protected, we need to be careful with money people should contribute to society rather than leach off it... however I am a supporter of the environment BUT want only facts to rule decisions based on it. I dont see the vast majority of liberals using their heads concerning what they support and of those I talk to, facts and logic seem to have little meaning. These things are important to me but I recognize they are not to everyone. I am sure of myself in this regard and simply will not budge.

Reactions: dogman6126
Every good citizen has the potential in them to become a criminal. And every criminal has the potential to become a good citizen.

Approaches to crime have to be both preventative and reformative. As far as what any government can do, it is likely to be somewhat superficial, arbitrary, and limited - but even though these measures are neither as important, nor effective as personal influences from family and peers, they set limits to how far neglect and malice can go.

Government regulation should neither crush the liberty of the good/responsible, nor give license to the bad/irresponsible. Good gun laws should effectively annoy everyone, insofar as even responsible people are prevented from becoming irresponsible people.

Reactions: Skarekrow
I would have to suppose that both liberals and conservatives have foundational reasons they consider themselves such and other people as such as well. However a oth also do not subscribe to every nuance of the related political standing.
I do not consider myself conservative though I subscribe to what I am guessing is about 60 percent of a similar mindset. The country needs to be protected, we need to be careful with money people should contribute to society rather than leach off it... however I am a supporter of the environment BUT want only facts to rule decisions based on it. I dont see the vast majority of liberals using their heads concerning what they support and of those I talk to, facts and logic seem to have little meaning. These things are important to me but I recognize they are not to everyone. I am sure of myself in this regard and simply will not budge.

I think both agree on foundational things, but have different approaches.

The country needs to be protected, we need to be careful with money people should contribute to society rather than leach off it... however I am a supporter of the environment BUT want only facts to rule decisions based on it.
I agree. Though I am not sure what you mean by you only want facts to rule decisions regarding protecting the environment. What decisions are not based on facts when it comes to this?

Also, I think in reality, the majority of people do not subscribe wholly to any ideology.

I think both agree on foundational things, but have different approaches.

I agree. Though I am not sure what you mean by you only want facts to rule decisions regarding protecting the environment. What decisions are not based on facts when it comes to this?

Also, I think in reality, the majority of people do not subscribe wholly to any ideology.

Well we could start a discussion about the implication mankind is responsible for global warming. .. but there are other threads for that. Its one example though. So while I am in support of doing things that protect nature and the environment I will support them only if its been shown that whatever is proposed that will supposedly damage it actually does or will. Not conjecture and speculation. ..facts.

tumblr_mq58guO96Z1rcqdieo1_250.gif

As far as what any government can do, it is likely to be somewhat superficial, arbitrary, and limited - but even though these measures are neither as important, nor effective as personal influences from family and peers, they set limits to how far neglect and malice can go. Flavus

Yet, the government can tell you how to raise your children and how to correct them...to a point.
Yet, the government can tell you how your children will be taught in school...unless you pay much extra and go to private schools where they still teach morals and ethics.

I see it as a trickle affect: it all trickles downhill from where the government sets the high ground for humanity. "Don't hurt that man. I know he is a rapist and serial killer, but he has rights, too." Tell that to the parents who raised a beautiful young girl just so he could rape, maim, and murder her before college.

There must be a proper mindset, and there must be a horrible deterrent, for these crimes we keep watching on TV. Excuse me, but is that a knock on my door? Attention thugs: the guy next door is an anti-gun lobbyist: I am not.

Last edited:
Now, the government is subtly trying to control guns through the executive branch of government. If they get away with this stupidity that looks like nothing, the shoe will drop later.

Guns.jpg

In America, there are approximately 270 million firearms possessed by civilians, and only 897,000 carried by police.

Approximately 20% of gun owners own 65% of the guns.

The Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms reports that about 5.5 million new firearms were manufactured in America in 2010. 95% of these were for the U.S. market.

Close to 33,000 Americans were victims of gun-related deaths in 2011 and an average of 268 citizens are shot every day.

In 2011, 10.3 in every 100,000 people in the U.S. were victims of gun-related deaths.

Buyers that purchase firearms through private sales in the U.S. don't have to pass a background check before obtaining possession of the weapon. This includes sales to criminals, felons, and people with a history of severe mental illness.

In the months of January to November of 2012, the federal government performed 16.8 million background checks on legal gun purchases, which was a record high since its foundation in 1998.

Since January of 2013, support for gun rights has increased from 45% to 52% and the percentage prioritizing gun control has fallen five points (from 51% to 46%).

Trigger locks make a firearm more difficult to discharge and act as a safety precaution in carrying and owning guns.
However, only 9 states (NY, NJ, CA, OH, MI, RI, MD, PA, MA) have trigger lock laws that enforce this precautionary measure.

Since 1950, every public mass shooting (with the exception just 1) in the U.S. has occurred in a place where civilians are banned from carrying firearms.

51 gun shows banned attendees from bringing loaded guns to events in January 2013, to promote a safe, recreational environment.

In January 2013, President Obama presented his comprehensive plan to prevent gun violence in the U.S.
It included: improving background checks, banning assault weapons and large capacity magazines of ammunition, among other provisions.

Sources
Karp, Aaron. "Estimating Civilian Owned Firearms." Small Arms Survey. Accessed February 21, 2014, http://www.smallarmssurvey.org/fileadmin/docs/H-Research_Notes/SAS-Research-Note-9.pdf.

​Brennan, Allison. "Analysis: Fewer U.S. gun owners own more guns." CNN. Accessed February 21, 2014, http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/31/politics/gun-ownership-declining/.
Brauer, Jurgen. "The US Firearms Industry Production and Supply." Small Arms Survey. Accessed February 21, 2014, http://www.smallarmssurvey.org/fileadmin/docs/F-Working-papers/SAS-WP14-US-Firearms-Industry.pdf.
Daily Record Staff. "State gun buyback program comes to Rochester." NY Daily Record. Accessed February 21, 2014, http://nydailyrecord.com/blog/2013/09/30/state-gun-buyback-program-comes-to-rochester/.
Murphy, B.S., Sherry L., Jiaquan Xu, M.D., and Kenneth D. Kochanek, M.A.. "Deaths: Final Data for 2010 ." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention . Accessed February 21, 2014, http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr61/nvsr61_04.pdf.
Mencimer, Stephanie. "Want to Buy a Gun Without a Background Check? Armslist Can Help." Mother Jones. Accessed February 21, 2014, http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/01/want-buy-gun-without-background-check-armlist-can-help.
Berman, Jillian. "Gun Sales In 2012 Set Record, FBI Data Indicates." The Huffington Post. Accessed February 21, 2014, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/14/gun-sales-2012_n_2303513.html.
PewResearchCenter. "Growing Public Support for Gun Rights." Accessed March 4, 2015. .
"Safe Storage & Gun Locks Policy Summary." Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. Accessed February 21, 2014, http://smartgunlaws.org/safe-storage-gun-locks-policy-summary/.
CNSNews.com. "Study: All But Two Multiple Public Shootings Since 1950 Took Place Where Guns Were Banned." Accessed March 4, 2015. .
Keyes, Scott. "EXCLUSIVE: 51 Upcoming Gun Shows Ban Loaded Weapons To Promote ‘A Safe Environment’." ThinkProgress. Accessed February 21, 2014, http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/01/11/1435631/gun-show-safety/#.

The White House. "Now is the Time." Accessed February 19, 2014, http://www.whitehouse.gov/issues/preventing-gun-violence.

This is factual information, show me some to back up your claims?
As a matter of factI can do you one betterhere are the statistics for the first 5 days of 2015how sadhow patheticand less gun control is what you are advocating because you think Obamas thugs are going to take your guns, redistribute your wealth, and send you to reeducation camps that teach you about global warming?

Read thisits fucking sad. http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/sites/default/files/toll.png?ts=1452011743
Lets stop being retarded and fix it with common senseis any of that left in this country? Jesus.

Lets be real here. Background checks will do nothing to keep guns out of the hands of murders and criminals. So its completely useless and all for show.

The cost of being moral. We must not imprison those who do not disserve it. We must KNOW that someone is guilty, and by "we" I do not mean the investigator. Just because they "know" that someone is guilty does not establish that they ARE in fact guilty. Unfortunately, our justice system has a ridiculous definition of "proof". Then again, maybe not so ridiculous (more so practical?). By the actual definition of proof, far less people would be imprisoned. This is also why we still falsely imprison some people. We are in the gray area as it is. Where we should be? I don't see an answer.

Another point is that we don't want to put someone away for life for shoplifting, or accidents. That would be us ruining someone's life, and I would definitively argue they do not disserve it. Unfortunately, my points to this (that I will not go into unless asked) also apply to people who have even committed murder. This seems plausible, though, if we consider rehabilitation.

We are in the gray area as it is. Where need we be? I don't see an answer.

As a matter of factI can do you one betterhere are the statistics for the first 5 days of 2015how sadhow patheticand less gun control is what you are advocating because you think Obamas thugs are going to take your guns, redistribute your wealth, and send you to reeducation camps that teach you about global warming?

Read thisits fucking sad. http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/sites/default/files/toll.png?ts=1452011743
Lets stop being retarded and fix it with common senseis any of that left in this country? Jesus.

My complaints about the current administration are the kinds of gun control and the approach the are using. I think it was stupid to ban high capacity magazines or "assault weapons". Really, I'm not sure how I feel about restricting any kind of gun ownership (except tanks and the like). "If you ban one type of gun, people will just use another kind" is a nice general statement. But I think we need to clarify the question we are trying to answer: what is it we are trying to fix? You're quote mentions the number of deaths related to gun violence.
As quoted from the wiki article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States
11,208 deaths by homicide (3.5 per 100,000),[3] 21,175 by suicide with a firearm,[4] 505 deaths due to accidental discharge of a firearm,[4] and 281 deaths due to firearms-use with "undetermined intent"[5] for a total of 33,169 deaths related to firearms (excluding firearm deaths due to legal intervention).
Of the homicide figure, according to the FBI (https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/u...w-enforcement/expanded/expanded-homicide-data), about 38% had unknown circumstances. That means we are looking at about 7000 deaths we KNOW we want to deal with. We can tackle the suicide problem (without punishing about half of America that owns guns) by fixing up our mental health care system. We can tackle the accidental number by improving training and awareness. Now, of these 7k, a decent chunk is certainly by gang related violence.
Consider this paragraph, which I think makes this point well:
In New Orleans, between 35-55% of homicides are classified as gang-related. In Chicago, an estimated 80% of homicides are gang-related. And in Baltimore, the police commissioner states that 80% of homicides are drug-related. (But again, most of this depends on methods of keeping records, and, often, personal opinions.)
The point is, it varies a lot by location. In the middle of no where, homicides will have near 0 relation to gang violence because gangs are not very prominent in rural areas. To be general (and conservative), let's say about 40% here. So, by tackling gangs and drugs, we can tackle another 3000. That leaves us at 4000 that we need to question.

Now, remember this line of thought is questioning how we need to tackle the problem. Overall banning or restricting guns is not a solution, as demonstrated by Chicago. Even though if it where applied nationwide, it would probably reduce (potentially greatly) gun violence. But this is a major infringement on a right as laid down by the constitution, and will significantly change the way of life of a large portion of our population, and potentially ruin the lifestyles of a good number of people. So, that is impractical. There are a lot of facets to this point, but I won't go into them here. Message me if you wish to discuss it more.

So, we know we want to deal with that 4000, and we want to deal with the other unknown 38% (another 4k) but we don't know what to do with that (cause we don't know what it is!). What is our known 4k? Arguments, and other kinds of criminal activity than gang violence. This is where the debate is. Completely unrestricting guns is not a solution. It is to ignore the problem. Completely restricting guns is not a solution, it is a Band-Aid patch job that is as equally lazy as ignoring the problem. There is also the floating understanding that we must protect our society from the threat of a totalitarian government. That, arguably, is the greatest purposes of guns. Anyone who denies this possibility is not thinking. Sure, the government is not like that now, but we don't know where it will be in 20, 50 or 100 years. Such a result would be the end of our society, and, given our level of technology, a good chunk of the world. This is a risk of background checks. What defines someone as restricted? Mentally unstable? We can't use that definition until we reform our mental health system. We don't know what we are talking about half the time (yes, I'm exaggerating, but the point remains)! Oh look, this solution has popped up again....interesting. So, AFTER improving our understanding and application of mental health, background checks limited by mental health might be good. This will only work IF the government keeps its nose out of the mental health sector (DSM classifications and the like) for the reasons of protecting against totalitarian governments. Other restrictions, what about age restrictions? Duh, we already have that. Criminal history restrictions? This one gets...interesting. I think the answer to this lies in the mental health solution. We don't know what past behavior indicates. At least some people can certainly be rehabilitated. In contrast, some seem like they cannot be. How do we sort that out? Improve our understanding of the mind seems an obvious answer.
Well, what if we increase training and safety education, and more so encourage people to arm themselves for self defense? Seems reasonable on its face. It would tackle the problem of victims of crimes (give them more of a chance), but also (likely) make our criminals more dangerous. There is something to be said that most criminals are not going to go to the level of killing someone. This would likely reduce crime rates (look at Switzerland), and possibly reduce the 4k figure we are tackling (this is a very unclear point though. To the point that this speculation is to be discarded. Message me if you want more discussion on this point). Really, I don't see a great solution to tackle the 4k figure.

The above discussed is the only idea that I have heard (or thought about), but there are many more problems that I haven't discussed (like the governments stupid idea of what qualifies a person for concealed carry. For goodness sake, at least make the training requirements more than a one time thing!!!! And make it so people have to always hit the HUMAN SIZED TARGET {but allow 2 or 3 goes every couple of years} not some idiotic 70% garbage. If you can't shoot a person sized target on a range at 15 yards, you have no business having a gun in public in a criminal situation!!!!!!!!! Ok, that rant is over :/ ).
My opinion here is this is a problem I don't see a solution to yet. So, just like we did with the unknown 38%, we must answer this with a no answer right now. Unfortunately, that means that I don't see a way to intentionally tackle 75% of the homicide figure. But, we have one solution for about 25%. Fix our mental health sector, and understanding of human psychology. Most importantly, leave it to the scientists. Not some stupid politician that pretends they know what they are talking about, and really just get in the way of progress.

The main point of what I just discussed is we really don't have an answer to this problem. There are just a few things that we know NOT to do. The extremes of both liberals and conservatives have awful answers. We have a direction to go in. Let's go in that direction, and see if we find new answers. This isn't a problem that has a catch all answer. I honestly don't think we can truly fix this problem. Criminals will always exist. We need to recognize this fact, do what we can, but not sacrifice who we are. Else we loose what we are trying to fix.

One of the most common explanations for non-rural gun ownership is personal/family security. Are there any statistics about how frequently guns are effectively/successfully used for personal security? [MENTION=680]just me[/MENTION] posted something a while ago about noticing someone near him at a store carpark and how he tensed to pull a gun.

One of the most common explanations for non-rural gun ownership is personal/family security. Are there any statistics about how frequently guns are effectively/successfully used for personal security? [MENTION=680]just me[/MENTION] posted something a while ago about noticing someone near him at a store carpark and how he tensed to pull a gun.

From https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/u...w-enforcement/expanded/expanded-homicide-data

Law enforcement reported 653 justifiable homicides in 2011. Of those, law enforcement officers justifiably killed 393 felons, and private citizens justifiably killed 260 people during the commission of a crime.