Everything but classical music...

Radiantshadow

Urban shaman
May 8, 2011
MBTI
Human
Enneagram
Human
From (http://www.highexistence.com/images/view/stop-and-appreciate-the-beauty-around-you/), here is something I read today:

-----
(What follows may not belong in "Entertainment/Media".)

I shook my head at the end, then started laughing. Our mental cubicles can be so very small - what we seek is usually in front of us, unseen or somehow phased, while we run off in another direction trying to "find" what we missed. The power of conditioned priorities ought never be forgot.

Thoughts on any of the above?

In my opinion this "conditioning" is a necessary evil, it we stopped and looked/listened at all the beautiful things in this world we'd never get anything done. It's unfortunate... I'd personally love to have more time to stop and look around/ examine everything, but time isn't a luxury most humans have a lot of - we have our own lives to live. This is why we go to scheduled concerts, we have free time.

People dont care about the music at all for the most part; you can probably buy Mr. Bells music on CD or iTunes. Instead of assuming that Mr. Bell is what makes his music valuable I say that the high price of admission is because you have to pay big money to be in the 'right' places so you can be seen by the 'right' people. The exclusive theater and Mr. Bell play only a part of the great upper class game.

Conditioning is probably necessary for organization and cohesion, yes; it's just useful to always be aware of it. Time can be quite scarce the older one gets but it is never gone.I speak of the unfortunate many who get (and sometimes must be just to provide) so caught up in routine upkeep and socially-ingrained pursuits -- money, family unit, house, cars, whatever -- that the means become the end, and a cage. One can make time, even if it is just five minutes. That five minutes can make a shocking difference in the course of an entire day in terms of mood and emotional sanity. Juggling all the demands and responsibilities placed upon us can be really hard, but rarely hard enough that the lapse between catching and tossing doesn't exist. For example, I've searched up and typed all of this in the hour of spare time I've given myself per two weekdays. 30 minutes a day is quite freeing, and I typically have a really tight schedule. (Two hours today, as a graduation gift to myself, in case anyone's looking at the time sigs) So, it's entirely possible to live every single day to its pinnacle.

"We all have our own lives to live" - that is my point =)

Edit: @uberrogo , your witticism never ceases to amuse.

Last edited:
I think it is time for me to stop making jokes if I am perceived as witty for that post.

Psh, it's always fun to crack snide jokes at the expense of society and others. That's like, the basis of childhood power struggles amid peers that we learn to apply when we get older!

(I’m joking, please don’t no’bdy shoot me.)

Psh, it's always fun to crack snide jokes at the expense of society and others. That's like, the basis of childhood power struggles amid peers that we learn to apply when we get older!

(I’m joking, please don’t no’bdy shoot me.)

Im going to neg rep you so bad and hard!

Oh nooooo! Whatever will I do?!?! My perfect, golden reputation is on the line! Why, if we were in Shakespearean England, I would challenge you to a duel TO THE DEATH for daring to impinge my honor!

As it is though, you only get a "Meh."

It's kind of interesting that most of the people in the social experiment only experienced the beauty of the music when they were either told it was something beautiful or had to pay to experience something beautiful, as opposed to just experiencing that something is beautiful and that be enough. It's kind of sad in a way.

I'm wondering, if it might more display the level of people's musical intelligence. If the music isn't accessible to a person (I mean intellectually, and even spiritually), and if they haven't been trained by means of exposure, like with pop music for example, then can the music be enjoyed fully? I think that the assumption that music is an innately appreciated phenomenon, may not be precise. It's requires a certain degree of intelligence, and or training, in the way that solving a math problem does. It's the same thing with visual art. I am a genuine music lover from Bartok, to Ella Fitzgerald, to Rush, I love music, as long as it hasn't lost its humanity by being over produced. I've gone to see whatever, a Chopin or Stravinsky performance for example, and felt as though the music conducted my heartbeat, and yet, I'm ashamed to admit, that often visual art, doesn't generate the same depth of love, or understanding. I just am not smart, or trained enough, in that particular area, to be able to appreaciate what is being presented to me. I've walked by many works of art (not proud), and yet, felt the need to spend hours listening to some classical, or whatever type, musicians play in our Toronto subway stations, or streets, or wherever.

It's kind of interesting that most of the people in the social experiment only experienced the beauty of the music when they were either told it was something beautiful or had to pay to experience something beautiful, as opposed to just experiencing that something is beautiful and that be enough. It's kind of sad in a way.

Well it's kind of sad they all had work that day, but shit happens.

Forgive me for being a "smartass", I'm just trying to be realistic.

*I suppose edit is futile, this pissy post has been quoted.*

Last edited:
Reactions: #@&5&49
Well it's kind of sad they all had work that day, but shit happens.

Forgive me for being a "smartass", I'm just trying to be realistic.

Yeah, maybe he would have been received differently in a different setting, say like a park. Good point.

Reactions: endersgone
Yeah, maybe he would have been received differently in a different setting, say like a park. Good point.

All so true. "Josh, you and your people violated the rules of scientific method."
Maybe, people didn't want to be around when the guns came out to steal the violin.

I wonder if they would have stopped for Justin Bieber? Someone from American Idol? How about Angelina Jolie, just standing there talking to people?

Less likely about the music and more likely about the perception of "'feeding the animals". Sad, but true. I grew up in NYC - you don't stop and look at the bums.

First thought was, perhaps somebody is paying too much for their tickets?

But honestly, you can not read anything from experiments like this. There is too much uncertainty in the conclusions.
Besides, who can can define beauty? I mean, you can not make general assumptions about other people based one your own subjective defined values.