Escapism, plus and minus

Lark

Rothchildian Agent
May 9, 2011
MBTI
ENTJ
Enneagram
What do you think about escapism?

I'm thinking of escapism in reading particularly, mainly because I its the means which is available to me but I think hypothetically its possible to imagine what it would be like to possess enough wealth that you decide to become a reclusive millionaire or something like that.

Is it a bad thing or something which can only be a bad thing if taken to extremes?

Well, escapism is a lot like alcohol. Nothing wrong with a glass of wine now and again, or a lively cottage weekend once in a blue-moon, but if you're wetting your whistle too often, you're probably using it as a coping strategy for something. If that's the case, it's probably a good idea to stop before it becomes a habit and investigate the root of the issue. Taken to an extreme, escapism can impair your mental functioning or worse, lead to a serious mental illness. The more you let your mind wander, the more you're weakening your ability to focus on the here and now and beyond those boundaries, that's where a lot of people's inner daemons tend to hang out.

Moderation is key... but moderation means different things to different people. Much like some people are more susceptible to alcoholism, some people might be susceptible to the more serious consequences of escapism.

At the end of the day, you gotta know yourself and what you're using it for.

I day dream to escape- I love it. Makes relaxing much easier