^_^
Retired Staff
Mar 9, 2009
Gridania
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
If a safe method were developed where you could artificially enhance your innate intelligence or the innate intelligence of your child, i.e. genetics, computer-chip implant, drugs, etc, would you do it? This intelligence could be either IQ, kinesthetic intelligence, or whatever it takes in order to be 'smart'.

I really do like the concept of getting wet wired. I might not mind opting for a new set of eyes that give me perfect vision with enhanced night vision and thermographic settings. Bone reinforcement and wired reflexes would be nice too, I think synthetic muscle replacement would be the last thing I'd worry about...maybe if I saw the need to pick up a car or rip a tree out of the ground it'd go well with the bone reinforcement.

Little more paranoid when it comes to fiddling with the gray matter though. I can imagine things going horribly wrong with any sort of cybernetic modifications and I don't need some little computer chip turning me into a homicidal maniac.

Yeah, I used to GM many Shadowrun games in my youth.

I don't particulary like thinking or talking about these sort of subjects (when we start enhancing biology and making "human" robots). Mainly because I am extremely conflicted on these matters, and I can't come up with an answer for myself with which is the better option. Again I am extremely conflicted on the matters.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't do it.

nope. whatever the child has, as parents we'll accept it, however limited, and do our best to help them use what they have to succeed.

In a lot of comic books they just sell their soul to satan and get what they want. You could try that.

never trust a computer you can't throw out a window
~Steve Wozniack

I'd like to do it. Would I is another question that I can't seriously answer without being able to refer to more information.

Spiritually speaking (because that's important to me), I like to think that I am who I am for a reason, but in truth it's not that simple.

I can't even begin to address this from the angle of a hypothetical parent; the complexity of the situation would increase exponentially.

Last edited:
I really do like the concept of getting wet wired. I might not mind opting for a new set of eyes that give me perfect vision with enhanced night vision and thermographic settings. Bone reinforcement and wired reflexes would be nice too, I think synthetic muscle replacement would be the last thing I'd worry about...maybe if I saw the need to pick up a car or rip a tree out of the ground it'd go well with the bone reinforcement.

Little more paranoid when it comes to fiddling with the gray matter though. I can imagine things going horribly wrong with any sort of cybernetic modifications and I don't need some little computer chip turning me into a homicidal maniac.

Yeah, I used to GM many Shadowrun games in my youth.

But if you knew it were safe- it had been proved safe- hypothetically, would you do it?

I don't particulary like thinking or talking about these sort of subjects (when we start enhancing biology and making "human" robots). Mainly because I am extremely conflicted on these matters, and I can't come up with an answer for myself with which is the better option. Again I am extremely conflicted on the matters.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't do it.

Why wouldn't you do it? Aren't we robots already?

nope. whatever the child has, as parents we'll accept it, however limited, and do our best to help them use what they have to succeed.

Maybe you will, but what if other parents feel differently? Suddenly, everyone would have to do it in order to ensure that they can succeed, wont they? You wouldn't want your child to clean toilets their whole life, would you?

In a lot of comic books they just sell their soul to satan and get what they want. You could try that.

I had Hell send a demon up to get a quote on my soul, and they told me it wasn't worth buying and that I need to get a new one.

~Steve Wozniack

You can always throw yourself out the window.

I'd like to do it. Would I is another question that I can't seriously answer without being able to refer to more information.

Spiritually speaking (because that's important to me), I like to think that I am who I am for a reason, but in truth it's not that simple.

I can't even begin to address this from the angle of a hypothetical parent; the complexity of the situation would increase exponentially.

Why is the parent situation more complicated?

Aside from the paranoia of turning into a homicidal maniac due to chip malfunction, I'm pretty happy with what computing power I already possess.

Only if I knew how the technology worked in full. I wouldn't trust the motives of whomever provided it to me.

Only if I knew how the technology worked in full. I wouldn't trust the motives of whomever provided it to me.

This would be a big concern. Like Scathac, I would worry about flipping. Except, I would worry about flipping at the flick of a switch I didn't know had been installed into any enhancement.

This area is clearly different from Eugenics, but are the ethical considerations really so different?