English essay criticism - be honest! | INFJ Forum

English essay criticism - be honest!

j654dgj7

Please delete this account.
Jun 8, 2012
MBTI
XXXX
I haven't written an essay for 3-4 years, so I was wondering if you could give me some feedback on my first draft? Please be blunt and honest!

The topic is "Choosing a course of study and a career". It is supposed to be a general assessment, and not from a subjective first-person perspective. Here it is:

"Choosing a course of study and a career"

Choosing an education is a vital step towards a career. During the 21st century, the western world has become more specialized and competitive. Therefore the pressure of taking an education has increased immensely. That brings up the question: is everyone equally capable of achieving a higher education?

It could be argued that choosing a study and career path is not a matter of free will, but largely a result of social inheritance. According to the book 'Maintaining Momentum' by Stephen Aldridge, upward mobility favors the middle class and those of substantial means (2004, MM p. 15-16). This theory has also been explored by Professor Gosta Esping-Andersen of the University of Pompeu Fabra. In his scientific article ‘Unequal Opportunities and Social Inheritance’, he concludes that social inheritance, or ‘cultural capital’ as he calls it, is the key factor to upward mobility. He suggests that further research on successful upward mobility should shift from the funding of universities to the income of families.

Sociological research has shown that cultural capital is not the sole reason for education and career paths. Research done by Corak (2004, MM p. 16) and Jorgensen (2001, MM p. 16) has shown that some countries have been more successful at motivating lower-income classes to take an education. For example, Nordic countries and Germany have show greater results in motivating people to take a higher education than the US, UK and Italy. The readily available access to higher education in Northern European countries is likely a contribution factor to higher upward mobility. Aldridge also points to a Danish study that shows little correlation between the income of parents and the education of their children (MM p. 16) and concludes that the strong middle class in Denmark contributes to this.

To support his claims, Aldridge compares the Gini coefficient of different countries to the upward mobility of the population (MM p. 23). The statistics show that economically equal countries have better success at upward mobility. For example, Denmark has a Gini coefficient of .22 (highly equal) and a high mobility score of 0.81. Comparatively, the US has a Gini coefficient score of .34 and a mobility score of 0.71. He concludes that the research proves that the theory of inequality stimulating the students incentives for upward mobility to be largely false.

In conclusion, we find that by combining the findings of Aldridge, Corak and Jorgensen. that a persons’ background, combined with the overall equality of the persons' birth-country, are some of the determining factors for a students chance of upward mobility. It cannot be concluded whether or not free will is a determining factor in a persons’ chance of achieving a higher education. However, it can be concluded that some countries have better results with upward mobility. Along with a persons’ cultural capital, it most likely determines whether or not a person is capable of achieving a higher education.

Bibliography:

Stephen Aldridge: ‘Maintaining Momentum’ (p. 15-16, p. 23) http://www.ippr.org/files/images/media/files/publication/2011/05/maintaining_momentum_full_1332.pdf?noredirect=1#page=20

Gosta Esping-Andersen: ‘Unequal Opportunities and Social Inheritance ‘ (p. 1) http://www.troll.pp.se/Unequal%20Opportunities%20and%20Social%20Inheritance.pdf

[end of essay]

Thanks in advance!

Oh, it should be said that it's a 500-word essay assignment, and that it's our first assignment!

I haven't written an essay for 3-4 years, so I was wondering if you could give me some feedback on my first draft? Please be blunt and honest!

The topic is "Choosing a course of study and a career". It is supposed to be a general assessment, and not from a subjective first-person perspective. Here it is:

Choosing an education is a vital step towards a career. During the 21st century, the Western world has become more specialized and competitive. Therefore, the pressure of taking(having/acquiring) an education has increased immensely. That brings up the question: is everyone equally capable of achieving a higher education?

It could be argued that choosing a study and career path is not a matter of free will, but largely a result of social inheritance. According to the book 'Maintaining Momentum' by Stephen Aldridge, upward mobility favors the middle class and those of substantial means (2004, MM p. 15-16). This theory has also been explored by Professor Gosta Esping-Andersen of the University of Pompeu Fabra. In his scientific article ‘Unequal Opportunities and Social Inheritance’, he concludes that social inheritance, or ‘cultural capital’ as he calls it, is the key factor to upward mobility. He suggests that further research on successful upward mobility should shift from the funding of universities to the income of families.

Sociological research has shown that cultural capital is not the sole reason for education and career paths. Research done by Corak (2004, MM p. 16) and Jorgensen (2001, MM p. 16) has shown that some countries have been more successful at motivating lower-income classes to take an education. For example, Nordic countries and Germany have shown greater results in motivating people to take a higher education than the US, UK and Italy. The readily available access to higher education in Northern European countries is likely a contributing factor to higher upward mobility. Aldridge also points to a Danish study that shows little correlation between the income of parents and the education of their children (MM p. 16) and concludes that the strong middle class in Denmark contributes to this.

To support his claims, Aldridge compares the Gini coefficient of different countries to the upward mobility of the population (MM p. 23). The statistics show that economically equal countries have better success at upward mobility. For example, Denmark has a Gini coefficient of .22 (highly equal) and a high mobility score of 0.81. Comparatively, the US has a Gini coefficient score of .34 and a mobility score of 0.71. He concludes that the research proves that the theory of inequality stimulating the students incentives for upward mobility to be largely false. <-- this sentence is a little clunky

In conclusion, we find that by combining the findings of Aldridge, Corak and Jorgensen, that a persons’ background, combined with the overall equality of the persons' birth-country, are some of the determining factors for a student's chance of upward mobility. It cannot be concluded whether or not free will is a determining factor in a persons’ chance of achieving a higher education. However, it can be concluded that some countries have better results with upward mobility. Along with a persons’ cultural capital, it most likely determines whether or not a person is capable of achieving a higher education.

Bibliography:

Stephen Aldridge: ‘Maintaining Momentum’ (p. 15-16, p. 23) http://www.ippr.org/files/images/media/files/publication/2011/05/maintaining_momentum_full_1332.pdf?noredirect=1#page=20

Gosta Esping-Andersen: ‘Unequal Opportunities and Social Inheritance ‘ (p. 1) http://www.troll.pp.se/Unequal%20Opportunities%20and%20Social%20Inheritance.pdf

[end of essay]

Thanks in advance!

Just a few things right now, in a rush. They're merely little grammar thingies.

Also, person as singular in possessive form would be person's, not persons'.

Good, though. : )

Last edited:
Ahhhhhhh! My mind is destroyed.

Choosing to get an education is a vital step towards getting a career. During the 21st century, the western world has become more specialized and competitive. Therefore the pressure of getting an education has increased immensely. That brings up the question: is everyone equally capable of achieving a higher education?

It could be argued that choosing a study and career path is not a matter of free will, but largely a result of social inheritance. According to the book 'Maintaining Momentum' by Stephen Aldridge, upward mobility favors the middle class and those of substantial means (2004, MM p. 15-16). This theory has also been explored by Professor Gosta Esping-Andersen of the University of Pompeu Fabra. In his scientific article ‘Unequal Opportunities and Social Inheritance’, he concludes that social inheritance, or ‘cultural capital’ as he calls it, is the key factor towards upward mobility. He suggests that further research on successful upward mobility should shift from the funding of universities to the income of families.

Sociological research has shown that cultural capital is not the sole reason for education and career paths. Research done by Corak (2004, MM p. 16) and Jorgensen (2001, MM p. 16) has shown that some countries have been more successful at motivating lower-income classes to get an education. For example, Nordic countries and Germany have show greater results in motivating people to take a higher education than the US, UK and Italy. The readily available access to higher education in Northern European countries is likely a contribution factor to higher upward mobility. Aldridge also points to a Danish study that shows little correlation between the income of parents and the education of their children (MM p. 16) and concludes that the strong middle class in Denmark contributes to this.

To support his claims, Aldridge compares the Gini coefficient of different countries to the upward mobility of the population (MM p. 23). The statistics show that economically equal countries have better success at upward mobility. For example, Denmark has a Gini coefficient of .22 (highly equal) and a high mobility score of 0.81. Comparatively, the US has a Gini coefficient score of .34 and a mobility score of 0.71. He concludes that the research proves that the theory of inequality stimulating the students incentives for upward mobility to be largely false.

In conclusion, we find that by combining the findings of Aldridge, Corak and Jorgensen, a person's background combined with the overall equality of the person's birth-country are some of the determining factors for a students chance of upward mobility. It cannot be concluded whether or not free will is a determining factor in a person's chance of achieving a higher education. However, it can be concluded that some countries have better results with upward mobility. Along with a person's cultural capital, it most likely determines whether or not a person is capable of achieving a higher education.

Bibliography:

[end of essay]

Thanks in advance!

^Edited

Other words that can be used for 'getting' - receive, obtain, achieve - in that order. "Choosing to receive an education is a vital step towards obtaining a career.... Therefor the pressure of achieving an education has increased immensely.

I haven't read it, since I don't believe I can give any comment on it, but I figured you perhaps should be careful with sharing it on the internet. I don't know how it works for you, but for instance on the University I go to they have a program that checks if your work is fake or not by comparing it with all the texts ever hand in and a great portion of those published on the internet.

Thank you guys so much for your help!! I can't thank you enough.

I haven't read it, since I don't believe I can give any comment on it, but I figured you perhaps should be careful with sharing it on the internet. I don't know how it works for you, but for instance on the University I go to they have a program that checks if your work is fake or not by comparing it with all the texts ever hand in and a great portion of those published on the internet.

Far be it for me to tell you that you're wrong, because you might be right. I think, however, as this is not an exam or even a graded paper, that it's OK for us to ask for help and feedback. I figured that since it's been so long that I've written an essay, that I would like to hear what you guys think of it. There's no right or wrong answer, either. But thank you for reminding me :)

One might not use the word "that" twice in your final paragraph's first sentence.

" It cannot be concluded whether or not free will is a determining factor in a person's chance of achieving a higher education." Is this true? Why say earlier it could be so argued? Is free will subject to individuality? In some neighborhoods, it might be argued whether a person has even a chance at a higher education.

"A little clunky" is right on. Students' incentives...

Good luck with your paper. I'm a bit rusty.

There's nothing I really have to add that wasn't covered in the replies. I was going to suggest that you need to give more detail and expand upon your conclusion, but as it's limited to 500 words there's not much you can do. Most professors and teachers really don't like it when they ask for 500 and you give a 1000. I did know one tutor who liked detailed extensive essays, but he never shut the fuck up so not a surprise.

With the clunkly line hush pointed out, you may need to break down into two sentences. Or cut it down to something like:

Taking all the available research into count, Aldridge concluded that the theory of inequality was largely false.

Just a quickly written suggestion of course.

Reactions: j654dgj7
[MENTION=4598]hush[/MENTION] [MENTION=10166]DonTaushMe[/MENTION] [MENTION=13285]Oscillation[/MENTION] [MENTION=680]just me[/MENTION] [MENTION=5667]Jacobi[/MENTION]

I've submitted my essay now! :)

Thank you all so much for your feedback, it means a lot to me.

[MENTION=4598]hush[/MENTION] [MENTION=10166]DonTaushMe[/MENTION] [MENTION=13285]Oscillation[/MENTION] [MENTION=680]just me[/MENTION] [MENTION=5667]Jacobi[/MENTION]

I've submitted my essay now! :)

Thank you all so much for your feedback, it means a lot to me.

No problem! Even though you mentioned that it isn't a graded paper, I hope they think it's #1 Most Handsome Essay. : D

giphy.gif

Reactions: j654dgj7