ENFP decision / procrastination hell - think I need some IxxJ advice!! | INFJ Forum

ENFP decision / procrastination hell - think I need some IxxJ advice!!

Kaia

Jul 7, 2011
MBTI
ENFP
Enneagram
So.

I just realised: I'm 24, and I still don't really know what I want to do in my life. It's driving me nuts. I like to have a plan; something to work towards. I like to have a challenge. But right now I'm sort of floundering and it's ENFP-limbo xD

At the moment I'm working as a Research Officer. All my life I've focused on having a career in research - specifically, human-wildlife conflict research. I love wolves, and I love the sea (random, I know) and I was hoping to incorporate these things into my career. I love people, problem solving and being creative. I also tend to be good at seeing others' POV. Hence the human-wildlife conflict angle.

But here's the thing: I'm stagnating. I'm supposed to be doing an MSc full time, aswell as holding down this full time job. It's do-able: people've done both full time in the past. But I'm totally burying my head in the sand, and not getting enough MSc work done. My impatience is ruling me, and all I want to do is have the end goal, now! I know this is stupid. I'm trying to rein in that ENFP impatience. I'm struggling to use judgement / logic to overcome my impatience.

This would, of course, be a hell of a lot easier if I actually had a plan. I don't know what I want to be, so how can I plan out the details? And if I can't plan out the details, I can't *feel* excited about the end goal, and therefore enthusiastic about working towards it.

I've just moved into my own place near my new job, and I'm already getting itchy feet. I'm thinking to myself (sensibly or not) - I'm tied down, so I don't want to put roots down here (clubs, activities etc.) or I'll never reach my dream (whatever that is), I'm feeling a little lonely (but I'm holding back from doing social things), I want to feel like I'm working towards a set goal (but I don't want to choose one because think of all the other things I could be missing out on if I make the wrong choice), and - I'm 24 and wasting time (tick tick tick etc)...

I know a lot of this doesn't make sense. It doesn't to me, so God help you guys reading this xD

I could just really use a little help on how best to a) overcome the procrastination and b) structure the madness and stress in my head!!

Thanks

K

Simple: set your focus on short term goals until one clear long-term goal emerges.

ie. Focus on the MSc and make your work stellar. Do this and your supevisors will probably open doors for you.

@Flavus Aquila gives good advice but let me go into more detail. We often procrastinate because we don't know how to do a job or the job is too boring. If it's the first, the job being too complicated then you need to break it down into smaller manageable steps. Don't make the steps too manageable. They should stretch you a bit or you run into the boredom problem. If you don't have enough knowledge to tackle the task then educate yourself or find a mentor.

As to knowing what you want to do in life, don't worry about it. Someone famous said that the most interesting people they ever met never figured out what they wanted to do in life. Maybe you are one of those people, meant to taste life like a butterfly in a garden full of flowers.