Empathy and Power Seeking

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
The Problem with Leaders

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/out-the-darkness/201404/the-problem-leaders

Why we rarely get the leaders we deserve.
Published on April 4, 2014 by Steve Taylor, Ph.D. in Out of the Darkness

147687-150268.jpg

It’s probably not escaped your attention by now that many of the world’s leaders are not particularly nice people. Without wishing to single anyone out, one leader who is causing the world trouble at the moment, President Putin, is a typical example: ruthlessly obsessed with maintaining his own power and furthering his personal and his country’s interests (as he perceives them) in apparent disregard for the rights of others. There are many more extreme examples, both historical and contemporary–President Mugabe, Colonel Gaddafi, Margaret Thatcher, and so on. We might like to believe that the democratic institutions of the West protect us from the excesses of psychopathic leaders, but perhaps these institutions–and the spotlight of the modern media–simply mean that leaders become more adept at projecting an image of fairness to hide their steely self-centredness and lack of empathy. Or in some cases, leaders may function as approachable and aimiable figureheads, with cold and ruthless idealogues behind them, holding the real reins of power.

I would argue that this isn’t simply a problem in politics but in every area of society: the people who take up the highest status positions in any organisation are often people with a low level of empathy, who are liable to behave callously and ruthlessly. In other words, power tends to fall into the hands of the very people who should not have it.
This is a sweeping generalisation, of course–many people rise into high status positions due to ability, privilege, or an idealistic or altruisticimpulse to ‘make a difference.’ However, there is a good reason why this is generally true, which could be expressed as a psychological ‘law’: the desire for power is inversely proportional to a person’s level of empathy. The drive for personal power and the ability to empathise are mutually exclusive.
Empathy and The Desire for Power
In my view, empathy is more than just the ability to imagine what people might be feeling, it’s the ability to actually ‘feel with’ other people, to emotionally connect with them and sense what they’re experiencing. Empathy brings a concern for the well-being and the rights of others, a sense of responsibility and fairness. It generates compassion, which in turns leads to altruism. It’s the source of the positive qualities which leaders ideally should have, but which they usually lack.
Empathy and the desire for power exclude each other because the latter stems from self-centredness, a psychological orientation where the person views reality solely through the prism of their own needs and desires, and where their primary need is to satisfy these–which is, of course, what power and status enable them to do. People with a high level of empathy and responsibility, on the other hand, are usually not self-centred, and therefore have little desire to increase their personal power. Rather than setting themselves apart, they prefer to be ‘on the ground,’ interacting and connecting with people. They may even refuse the offer of a high status position, because they’re aware that higher status will disconnect them (although for a non-empathic person, that is part of its appeal). So this leaves the high status roles open to the self-centred and ruthless.
Let me repeat that these are generalizations–I wouldn’t want to offend anyone who has risen to their high status position through ability or altruism (and I certainly wouldn’t want to offend Vladimir Putin), but in an ideal world, anyone who shows a strong drive for power should automatically be barred from any position of power. (The anthropologist James Woodburn gives several examples of egalitarian hunter-gatherer groups–such as the Hazda and !Kung of Africa–where this system is actually practised.) Or perhaps more realistically, the job application process for every high status position–including government posts–should include an empathy test. If the potential prime minister, chief executive or head teacher did not score at least an average level of empathy, then they would be barred from the position.
Every present day politician or chief executive should take the test, too–and my guess is that most of them would be out of a job by the end of the week.
Steve Taylor, Ph.D. is a senior lecturer in psychology at Leeds Metropolitan University, UK. He is the author of The Fall: The Insanity of the Ego in Human History and Back to Sanity. [url]www.stevenmtaylor.com[/URL]

He who knows, and knows he knows, is a leader: follow him.

Someone offered the opportunity to bid a job in my field of work this week. That was after I showed them all their problems and explained how they could not do what they wanted to do because of the structure and how it was made. I consulted with them with no charge for my time, which I usually get at least a small estimate fee. Instead of estimating, I showed them the dangers of what they wished to do. No estimate. The board of directors met and agreed to spend the funds to properly address the problem. Their front man called and told me to come back and look over the job the way I suggested. He told me to sharpen my pencil, because they were not going to get any more prices. I assured the man I would be fair. I told him I would be back Saturday to relook at his project.

Wow: no other estimates. All my time and experience was placing me back where I used to be several years ago. I was excited to have their trust and loyalty. Had to go near there Friday, so I stopped by and repaired the main problem and donated an important part they needed. I didn't ask for any money. Their organization is tax exempt and helps children. As I was finishing the free repair, one of my competition showed up. He was there to give them an estimate. Their front man called me to the side and stated he was asked to get 2 or 3 estimates. I gave my competition my notes to copy to save him time and left.

I do not care for being lied to. My actions were showing my heart. I jumped in to help. Guess I was there at the wrong time. Now I don't even feel like giving them an estimate. People that run things are out there, and it is nice to run into someone like I thought I had run into. When someone in power tells a lie to someone they need, it makes me wonder about the entire group.

Last edited:
Empathy and the desire for power exclude each other because the latter stems from self-centredness,

I found this part interesting although I think a bit simplistic. I don't think everyone who seeks power is entirely self interested and desires power only for personal reasons. However, it's the absolute search for power for the sake of power which I think is the problem.

It has been argued by Nietzche that in absence of something else, (a higher goal or a nobler goal), man's primary motive is a search for power or influence, "the will".
Also Alfred Adler psychology is centered around this idea of individual, with its central development around what he called inferiority complexes, the developing of self. Every individual is motivated by a need to be first, to be recognised, to be worthy, to not be or feel inferior. His theory states that this is the core aspect of human individual, a desire to be first, a drive to greatness.

I found this part interesting although I think a bit simplistic. I don't think everyone who seeks power is entirely self interested and desires power only for personal reasons. However, it's the absolute search for power for the sake of power which I think is the problem.

It's certainly an incendiary claim, and probably not all that accurate. Empathy and will to lead are not mutually exclusive. See; MLK Jr., Aung San Suu Kyi, and Jack Kennedy, all of whom could be considered very empathetic and very strong leaders. It's more likely that there are just very few people who rate as both highly empathetic and as leadership-driven. Not to mention the number of people who could be considered both who have issues with self-doubt, whereas it's not uncommon to see people vying for positions in which they are woefully incapable and who do not have the cognitive power to see how incapable they are.

There's a whole lot of shit you could delve into here with how interconnected intelligence, empathy, leadership, and a whole myriad of capacities are.

Last edited:
ugh...I posted in the wrong thread.