Emotional highs | INFJ Forum

Emotional highs

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
What experiences give you such an emotional high that you never want them to stop or end, or let go? Is it a specific experience with someone, listening to something, being in the presence of someone or something, etc.? What about the experience makes it so intense or intoxicating?

When i'm riding, and everything just clicks, it's perfect, feels like flying. [I've always had an obsession with wanting to fly]. When i'm playing at a concert I tend to get that when the stress of it is over. Certain people and certain music have been known to have this effect on me, as well. I don't know what makes it so amazing, all I know is I get on this emotional high where everything is perfect and amazing and I just want to scream happiness to the world.

Reactions: Gaze
Seeing my favorite band in concert has always been exciting and fun for me. Listening to the music live that I really like and relate too makes it feel surreal in a good way. It has to be the overwhelming volume and my close connection to the music and lyrics. Totally a sensation thing.

I also enjoyed my time doing Theatre. Something about immersing yourself in a role and stepping out on stage. I remember being in the 8th grade and they had started a new Theatre club. I figured all the "popular" kids would be there but was intrigued about it so I showed up. Not to say I wasn't popular in school but I spend a lot of time as the new kid and never really was a true part of any clique. Anyway, it was just a bunch of the smartest and strangest kids in school. God it was a blast. Theatre people are a breed unto themselves. You would have thought that with Te I wouldn't be able to stand all those Dreamers but they were/are fantastic people if you can get past the (personal) Drama they enjoy. There was something freeing about being on stage. I did Theatre from the 8th grade all the way thru my first 2 years in college and every time I stepped on stage (in front of an audience) it was like an adrenaline rush. I was very extroverted until about 24 but exhausted all the time. It was emotionally addicting to be on stage because it played well into my fears and a host of other emotions that it was like immersing myself in Fi.

I tried to think of five such things in my life. They all involve being somewhere interesting or cool and being those moments when I realized how close I was to a friend or a partner.

I am terrified of public speaking, but when i do it, and it's good. It's like the world is fitting together perfectly and I just don't want it to end. There is so much pressure to do it right, and to make people understand what you have to say. But even if what you are saying is beautiful, everything relies on how you say it.
When I know the crowd is getting what I'm saying, I feel like I'm connected to them, and that everything is going to be okay. Because they understand it, and so do I. It's beautiful when it works.

Being in the present moment. It's so rare, but very powerful for me when I can access it. I have accessed it when I am in a club dancing, when I am skiing, and at times when I am playing some sort of sports game with my friends where I am really physically active. When I can let go of my thoughts and have them process in the back seat (or not at all), and just live with and be with my emotions, feelings, and the imediate world around me.

I have gotten other kinds of "highs" in a sense when I am very intellectulaly stimulated by something. Whether it is a great sense of insight on something, learning some new but highly signifgant scientific principal, or some kind of new theory that just makes many tangential ideas fit together as one uniform hole. It's a completely different "high" from the present moment. However, it is important and signifigant enough to be worth noting.

bump

Doesn't happen for any significant length of time. No more than a few hours at the most, but usually they only last a few seconds (at least what I consider to be "emotional highs"). Most of my life is contentment. Part of my life is depression (which, interestingly enough, I find amazing). Barely any of my life is actual happiness. It doesn't matter much to me though. Contentment is fine. Depression is as well, to a lesser extent.

Im very rarely hyper these days really, I used to be a lot when I was younger.
I go mental when I am hyper though XD really giddy and things. Normally happens after Ive been tickled or something XD

The biggest 'high' Ive ever had would be how I feel around my boyfriend. I dont think I could even describe it xP its like....beyond relaxation, comfort and happiness.... its a very very nice feeling. :)

Reactions: Free Mind
In my youth I had this soo much...Euphoria came very often and immersed me in it's grip. It was like living on another planet far away from any problems. Every now and then nowadays something triggers these emotional highs I had back when I was a child and it makes me feel absolutely amazing...Might it be a smell, a sight or a sudden feeling for something. It's just amazing and puts me in such a great mood. Sometimes at night when I am feeling very relaxed and listening to some soothing music my mind runs through some amazing thoughts that keep popping up and I feel absolutely amazing and live in the moment. Many things trigger these emotional highs. The main 1 being that I am alive and all this life surrounds me and I engage with it moment by moment. I AM alive...o_O How can that not give you an emotional high? XD

I used amazing a lot in that. But it's true! XD It is amazing. :F

Being a really great live performance. Yo-Yo Ma and the Silk Road Ensemble was so enchanting.

When I cuddle with a cute girl and she touches my neck [EDIT:really, if she touches me softly anywhere]; I physically cannot contain the reaction. I look and sound like I'm having an orgasm. The emotional high is indescribably blissful... I'm trying to think of a way to describe it... just, energy courses through my body, I start breathing faster, and my chest feels like it's on fire in a good way. My heart especially feels lighter.

Another thing is when positive energy is vibrant in a room, and it's flying back and forth between people. It could be anything from mania to focus, I still enjoy it.

Last edited:
When I cuddle with a cute girl and she touches my neck [EDIT:really, if she touches me softly anywhere]; I physically cannot contain the reaction. I look and sound like I'm having an orgasm. The emotional high is indescribably blissful... I'm trying to think of a way to describe it... just, energy courses through my body, I start breathing faster, and my chest feels like it's on fire in a good way. My heart especially feels lighter.

Another thing is when positive energy is vibrant in a room, and it's flying back and forth between people. It could be anything from mania to focus, I still enjoy it.

aww.. this is positively adorable ;) If I sensed this reaction from someone, It'd make me swoon haha. Well, I also agree about the whole positive energy thing. I'm pretty sensitive so I absorb people's energies a lot. When I'm with someone who is bright, happy, excited to be with me, engaging, loves being with me, I just help take it to another level. I sense it so easily when something's off. Maybe that's why I hate talking with critical, or very awkward people?? I need to create some barrier to prevent myself from just absorbing other people's conditions. Too much!!! Toooo muchh!!!!

I think my feelings of euphoria are based around understanding and being understood. When I read a poem or see a painting or hear music that expresses a new idea so perfectly; it gives me a sensation of connection to all things. When I am able to express an idea to someone else through my writing, I feel as though I am connected with them as well. These are moments of intense beauty for me; when truth is first realized and I am experiencing it with all of my being.

[FONT=&quot]As John Keats said, 'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,' - that is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.

For me, truth, and the beauty of understanding it, is intoxicating.

[/FONT]

I think emotional highs are addictive -they fill a momentary need to feel something more than the average. It's euphoric and raises the emotions and spirit to another plane. It's a feeling of transcendence almost.

hmm when I'm taking sunset photos in Adelaide

and especially when my photos make someone else's day!!

making someone elses' day in another way works too HAHA

Emotional Highs
  • A really good badminton match (spectator/player)
  • Staring into the cerulean blue of a December sky
  • A new romantic interest that's just ever so slightly out of reach
  • Putting other cars in my dust
  • The absolute relief that you get when you think someone you love was dying and didn't
  • Sitting on my grandparent's porch in their arms and not a care in the world
  • Owning the room on those rare occasions when I make a speech. The rapt attention of the audience is just amazing.
  • This place. I should live in this place. The beauty floors me everytime. The colours in reality are amazing. The blue of the sea pierces my soul. The green of the rainforest soothes it. Oh Portland! Portland! You should be mine.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I used to get a huge emotional high from National Braille Music Camp, which I attended every year for about 10 years until last year.
it was a wonderful experience, a week spent teaching young blind musicians how to read braille music and working to put items and choir pieces together for the end of year concert, and this is putting them together from scratch at the start of the week.
There's something really amazing about music and particularly teaching it that brings me out of my shell and makes me a completely different person to what I usually am.
Periodically though they have to kill off staff members otherwise there would be too many of us and I was one of the casualties last year and that really hurt, especially when some judgements were made about me that were absolutely false and others survived who don't do as much musical work in their lives, and they say that that's important for being chosen. I think because that the week was such an important event in my life each year emotionally it hurt so much to be told via email that I hadn't been selected as a staff member.
anything where performing is involved gives me massive emotional highs, not because I love performing, but because I love working with other musicians, even jamming with people gives me that buzz.
the only other thing that comes close was the Cornish Language weekend last year. it was wonderful to spend a weekend with lots of other people as dedicated or moreso to the language as I was. It was wonderful to finally be able to have long conversations face to face with all these people, in cornish too.

Generally when I see something beautifully overwhelming like a sunset, you'll see a few tears come out of me. Its so intense that it hurts.

aww.. this is positively adorable ;) If I sensed this reaction from someone, It'd make me swoon haha. Well, I also agree about the whole positive energy thing. I'm pretty sensitive so I absorb people's energies a lot. When I'm with someone who is bright, happy, excited to be with me, engaging, loves being with me, I just help take it to another level. I sense it so easily when something's off. Maybe that's why I hate talking with critical, or very awkward people?? I need to create some barrier to prevent myself from just absorbing other people's conditions. Too much!!! Toooo muchh!!!!

:embarassed:
I find that if I need a barrier I can cover part of my face with my shirt and that takes away some of the vulnerability.