Elan School. $50,000 a year to torture your kid

Cecilff2

Emancipator of Poultry
Mar 18, 2009
MBTI
Finland
Enneagram
Elan School survivor

Normally I'd pass off an article like this as BS, but there's a lot of evidence backing it up.

Wikipedia article
Testimonials and articles

The school's website

The school website just creeps me the hell out. It is horrible that schools like this can even exist.

In short. Kids that arrive at this school are cut off from communication with the outside world, are not permitted to speak to anyone for 6 months(If they're good) while they're being brainwashed. Those that resist or rebel are either put into isolation, made to fight other students(typically 3 to 1), or the entire school is called out to hurl insults at them.

That is how you ruin a person's life while robbing their parents.

If the allegations are true, the people who started this should be put to death. If it is true, then what they are doing is torture.

This school definitly has potential with their out of the box way of thinking.

What the hell. How can this exist?

Why It just like normal school! Except your allowed to beat people.

I don't know if any of you are aware of this but these types of 'schools' are a cottage industry in this country. There are dozens of such places. I can name four or five off the top of my head which I've come across in the last few years. They are broadly classified as correctional schools.

They use a mixture of standard brain-washing techniques, violence, and political clout to keep themselves open despite a high post-'graduation' suicide rate. Many are supported by religious institutions and don't fall under the ministrations of the Department of Education even though they call themselves schools. Several are set up as 'wilderness camps' but it amounts to the same thing.

They cut children off and destroy their psyches for money. They send home broken people because these parents are too busy, too rich, and too gullible to believe their children deserve parenting. Sometimes they just don't care what happens so long as their child listens.

I shudder to think they might have sent me to one of these places although I was once placed in a juvenile detention center for half a day before I had a complete emotional breakdown. They couldn't make me stop screaming until they had me out of there. It was 'upsetting' to the other inmates.

I was put there for trying to break up a fight between two of my friends and being told I was 'actively participating' in the melee.

These schools are a blight and they are a pervasive one. Until Americans are willing to begin taking a REAL look at their institutions and then flat out killing the ones who're sick or dangerous or demented this will go on. Other countries will continue to look at us as monsters because that's what we act like, either through apathy or ignorance.

I find it sad to think that this type of school thrives off of confused and overburdened parents. I'm sure a number of parents think this place is the last hope for their child, and thus buy into its regime. Quickly glancing through the forums I saw a post by parents who had burned up their retirement fund in 18 months to "help" their child. They think they are doing what's best for their kids, and the school is profiting on it.

It makes me physically ill to know that places like this not only exist, but are condoned as options by people who either don't know or are too evil to care about what actually goes on there. I followed some links from that page and it appears that there's a place similar to Elan in my state...and I'd never heard of it before either. I'm definitely going to do some more research on these types of 'schools'. Someone (a lot of someones!) needs to do something about these atrocities. :(

Holy shit.

I don't know if any of you are aware of this but these types of 'schools' are a cottage industry in this country. There are dozens of such places. I can name four or five off the top of my head which I've come across in the last few years. They are broadly classified as correctional schools.

They use a mixture of standard brain-washing techniques, violence, and political clout to keep themselves open despite a high post-'graduation' suicide rate. Many are supported by religious institutions and don't fall under the ministrations of the Department of Education even though they call themselves schools. Several are set up as 'wilderness camps' but it amounts to the same thing.

They cut children off and destroy their psyches for money. They send home broken people because these parents are too busy, too rich, and too gullible to believe their children deserve parenting. Sometimes they just don't care what happens so long as their child listens.

I shudder to think they might have sent me to one of these places although I was once placed in a juvenile detention center for half a day before I had a complete emotional breakdown. They couldn't make me stop screaming until they had me out of there. It was 'upsetting' to the other inmates.

I was put there for trying to break up a fight between two of my friends and being told I was 'actively participating' in the melee.

These schools are a blight and they are a pervasive one. Until Americans are willing to begin taking a REAL look at their institutions and then flat out killing the ones who're sick or dangerous or demented this will go on. Other countries will continue to look at us as monsters because that's what we act like, either through apathy or ignorance.

I read a few articles and I legitimately feel that this is a horrid facility. It's the worst correctional school I've ever heard of but, with that being said, I do agree with Chessie. This isn't the only facility like this, there are many. And not that many people know about these facilities which makes it all the worse.

How is this even legal?

That is how you ruin a person's life while robbing their parents.

I nearly lol'd to death.

It's disgusting that something like this exists,
but it's even more disgusting that we allow
something like this to exist, that there is some
support for this somewhere.

If there weren't, it wouldn't exist.

How lovely a species we have.
Hello, conditioning!

How lovely a species we have.
Hello, conditioning!

Luckily for us, civilization is evolving us into domestic, unaggressive, apes...

Our Brains are Getting Smaller (npr) ... sounds good to me; can't happen soon enough.

On a side note, YAY MAINE! (home state, love it there above all other places.)