MBTI
INFPishy
Einstein wrote this quiz last century. He said that 98% of the people in the
world cannot solve the quiz.
  • There are 5 houses in 5 different colors
  • In each house lives a person with a different nationality
  • These 5 owners drink a certain type of beverage, smoke a certain brand of
    cigar, and keep a certain pet
  • No owners have the same pet, smoke the same brand of cigar or drink the same
    drink.
Here's the question: Who owns the fish?
  1. The Brit lives in a red house
  2. The Swede keeps dogs as pets
  3. The Dane drinks tea
  4. The green house is on the left of the white house
  5. The green house owner drinks coffee
  6. The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds
  7. The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill
  8. The man living in the house right in the middle drinks milk
  9. The Norwegian lives in the first house
  10. The man who smokes Blend lives next door to the one who keeps cats.
  11. The man who keeps horses lives next door to the man who smokes Dunhill
  12. The owner who smokes Blue Master drinks beer
  13. The German smokes Prince
  14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house
  15. The man who smokes Blend has a neighbor who drinks water
http://www.business.illinois.edu/broker/iq.htm

I see no reason to assume anyone of them own a fish. The 5th pet could be a llama for all we know.

Last edited:
I figured it out it's...

The German

After getting a piece of paper and practically playing Sudoku with this puzzle I figured it out. I like it, nice brain teaser.

Reactions: jyrffw54
Oh, I remember this test, I remember solving it around 4 years ago~

u just need to make a chart with this

you can buy books filled with puzzles like these where they give charts to you in some of the easier levels. it really is like sudoku. my mom bought a lot of stuff like that for me when i was a kid to "train" my IQ rofl. obviously it worked. :D

[MENTION=3998]niffer[/MENTION]

Never trained my IQ as a kid or anything, but I made a chart aswell.

@Elis I think it's pretty obvious to do for most teens/adults, but to a little kid it might not be so obvious. In any case I believe Einstein was just bullshitting when he said 98% of the people in the world wouldn't be able to figure it out.

it also makes me want to stab myself in the face when i see people take so much interest and seriousness in intelligence "testing", especially with silly quizzes or puzzles like this. like i actually feel less ridiculous reading about people taking penis size seriously.

But everyone else here has gotten it wrong, by making the completely unfounded assumption a fish is one of the animals that one of the inhabitants of one of the houses owns. A chart can at best help you discern who could own a fish, not who does. I would expect a fellow INTP like Einstien to begin by questioning the assumptions and seeing that this problem is unsolvable as written before wasting time on a chart.

I prefer to think that the fish has no owner, and the German's pet is vampire bat.

Reactions: jyrffw54
But everyone else here has gotten it wrong, by making the completely unfounded assumption a fish is one of the animals that one of the inhabitants of one of the houses owns. A chart can at best help you discern who could own a fish, not who does. I would expect a fellow INTP like Einstien to begin by questioning the assumptions and seeing that this problem is unsolvable as written before wasting time on a chart.

I prefer to think that the fish has no owner, and the German's pet is vampire bat.

I prefer to think that they are all goldfish of different nationalities with moustaches and top hats and cigars living in differently coloured golfish bowls.

I would expect a fellow INTP like Einstien to begin by questioning the assumptions and seeing that this problem is unsolvable as written before wasting time on a chart.

I also just realized I didn't read the freaking question thoroughly... only the first part *facepalm*

What does it mean if you solved it in about 5 seconds without using Google, reading the replies, keeping a chart or seeing it before?

Hmm, that was the first thing that struck my mind when I read the test the first time, but I made a chart anyway. Afterwards, when I checked the answer there was an answer indeed and I just assumed that the answer that no one necessarily owns a fish was just me thinking outside the box, meh.