Eating out | INFJ Forum

Eating out

slant

Capitalist pig
Donor
Dec 30, 2008
MBTI
None
Was interested in the general trend here.

Do you go out to eat? If so, how often? Do you eat fast food? Do you go to a sit down restaurant? Do you order takeout?

How much of your meals are prepared at home vs bought?

Do you go out to eat? If so, how often? Do you eat fast food? Do you go to a sit down restaurant? Do you order takeout?

I enjoy really enjoy it tbh, but the pandemic has put the kibosh on anything like that.

I didn't eat out often before - I would've liked to, though.

giphy.gif

Why is it so difficult to engage in conversation on this forum as of late? Either there are no replies, or the replies consist of jokes that bring no real value to the conversation.

I understand if I'm not asking substantive questions, I'll concede to that, but at the same time is it too much to expect a little thoughtfulness put into responses?

Jesus christ.

I liked this question but got too busy to respond.

I rarely go out to eat these days. That's mostly due to covid and this keto diet that I'm all Brokeback Mountain with since January. If eating out, takeout is what we get, and that's 1-2x/wk. I never go to sit-down restaurants, due in part to my diet and also to my aversion to tipping. Make no mistake, I tip well when I eat out, but it's just another drain on the wallet that I like to avoid when possible. I'm a total cheapskate. Takeout is like the perfect middle ground where you get the food but don't have to tip (erm, and you also don't have a partner ordering multiple drinks which run up the tab).

When I was single I would go out to eat a lot, but it depended heavily on my cash flow. For example, making the stupid choice to request more than I needed in grad school loans, I could go out to eat (or get takeout) almost daily. I could have stayed home and cooked, but at that point in my life I wasn't really in a place where I appreciated or enjoyed cooking. I'd typically only do it when my stomach was homesick for something my mom used to make, or when finances necessitated that I resort to whatever bachelor's equivalent to dog food I could find (usually involving ground turkey/beef and things out of cans).

....We get a lot of take out. At least 1-2x per week. We don't really get fast food though. More like pizza or Chinese takeout or Thai takeout. Haven't been out to eat at a restaurant since the pandemic started though. I'm curious about why you're curious about this.

Hahaha, @slant is like, "I'm trying to have a serious conversation here, everyone! Knock it off!"

My SO and I used to go out to eat once a week, maybe twice if with friends, and we are into cooking. Living in the styx, we go out to eat sometimes, but not that often anymore because there isn't much variety.
We miss the restaurants in our old city and we have a plan to go back and do a food crawl. :tearsofjoy:

is it too much to expect a little thoughtfulness put into responses?

It is when you word things weird and call yourself a comedian and give little clarity as to what is a joke and what isn't.
People will always disappoint on the internet.

It is when you word things weird and call yourself a comedian and give little clarity as to what is a joke and what isn't.
People will always disappoint on the internet.
Yeah, that's really unfortunate because I haven't made a single joke in over a month now and I don't think I will anytime soon. To clarify to everyone: I'm no longer in a funny mood. Don't expect that from me anymore.

Used to go out to eat a couple times a month/year. That's currently gone to zero with the current lockdown situation in the country.
Ironically I'm doing much less take-out than before the lockdown as well. Much more into cooking, mainly because of having a home office now. Easier to
organise buying/cooking along with work breaks. I'd say a couple days a month I'd do take-out. Rest is cooking (buying enough for 1-2 weeks).
Fast-food to a minimum.

This pandamic is making me fat. Both my sister and I cook and the food at home is plentiful and delicious. To wank off properly about it, I'm an excellent professional cook and people say it's my life purpose to cook. But really, I only like cooking for family and family. Although one day my sister and I may go into business together. My mum was the best cook in the world and she did a lot of catering which I learned from.
But i have some ptsd from my old business. And my daughter would rather eat hot chips and packet cakes than the stuff I make which is deeply depressing.

We also get uber eats, especially if they have a good deal or we'd had a bad day. Anything and everything is available where we live. There's 3 adults and 3 kids so the shared costs are pretty low. My sister and I grew up poor and we are obsessed with budgeting and economising.

And we go out to eat often, I would eat out once a day if i could. Its normaly like 2-4 times a week, a variable of dinner, lunch, coffee, ice cream etc. I really like it. I love food, trying new food, conversation over food, getting to know the resturant owners/staff. I even eat out alone and that's awesome too. All options are catered for here, food is relatively cheap and pretty much everything is open all the time but less crowded than normal and the tables are a lot cleaner!

I think mindful eating and social eating are two of the best things about life

I don't eat meat. The restaurants where I'm living have few vegetarian options. For that reason I don't eat out often.O ccasionally I order a takeaway - usually Indian. Apart from that, I prepare my meals at home.

I'm vegan. We choose places that have a veggie section on the menu, or a veggie entree, usually Asian cuisines. I want to die of embarrassment when I need to ask for something special, so I avoid places where I'd need to do so unless we've been invited by a chef friend.

Going to some places with friends means I eat salad or olives. Haha.

Yeah, that's really unfortunate because I haven't made a single joke in over a month now and I don't think I will anytime soon. To clarify to everyone: I'm no longer in a funny mood. Don't expect that from me anymore.

Now I want to give you hugs and a giant tray of desserts, or tea, or pasta, or whatever will make you smile.

....We get a lot of take out. At least 1-2x per week. We don't really get fast food though. More like pizza or Chinese takeout or Thai takeout. Haven't been out to eat at a restaurant since the pandemic started though. I'm curious about why you're curious about this.

I read the national statistics on the frequency and I was just interested in what this small population would look like.

What got me thinking about it was that the other night I was driving home later than I usually do and I noticed a line of cars at the taco bell. I realized at that moment I had completely forgotten that people get fast food for dinner. It's been over a year for me (same with restaurants) and it sort of stunned me how quickly that became normalized to me. Back when I did get fast food I think I would get it 2-3 times a week.

I'm vegan. We choose places that have a veggie section on the menu, or a veggie entree, usually Asian cuisines. I want to die of embarrassment when I need to ask for something special, so I avoid places where I'd need to do so unless we've been invited by a chef friend.

Going to some places with friends means I eat salad or olives. Haha.

Now I want to give you hugs and a giant tray of desserts, or tea, or pasta, or whatever will make you smile.
I was vegan for five years, I feel you. Thanks Asa, I appreciate your kindness.

This pandamic is making me fat. Both my sister and I cook and the food at home is plentiful and delicious. To wank off properly about it, I'm an excellent professional cook and people say it's my life purpose to cook. But really, I only like cooking for family and family. Although one day my sister and I may go into business together. My mum was the best cook in the world and she did a lot of catering which I learned from.
But i have some ptsd from my old business. And my daughter would rather eat hot chips and packet cakes than the stuff I make which is deeply depressing.

We also get uber eats, especially if they have a good deal or we'd had a bad day. Anything and everything is available where we live. There's 3 adults and 3 kids so the shared costs are pretty low. My sister and I grew up poor and we are obsessed with budgeting and economising.

And we go out to eat often, I would eat out once a day if i could. Its normaly like 2-4 times a week, a variable of dinner, lunch, coffee, ice cream etc. I really like it. I love food, trying new food, conversation over food, getting to know the resturant owners/staff. I even eat out alone and that's awesome too. All options are catered for here, food is relatively cheap and pretty much everything is open all the time but less crowded than normal and the tables are a lot cleaner!

I think mindful eating and social eating are two of the best things about life
That's very interesting because I've actually eliminated all socializing over food, that's a rule that I have now, and it does seem to be pretty integral to human cultures so a lot of people don't really know what to do when it isn't an option.

I also didn't really think of the angle pre covid vs during because I wonder if peoples eating habits have changed, and whether that be for practicality/safety purposes or an attempt to keep local businesses afloat. Likely a mixture of both.

Used to go out to eat a couple times a month/year. That's currently gone to zero with the current lockdown situation in the country.
Ironically I'm doing much less take-out than before the lockdown as well. Much more into cooking, mainly because of having a home office now. Easier to
organise buying/cooking along with work breaks. I'd say a couple days a month I'd do take-out. Rest is cooking (buying enough for 1-2 weeks).
Fast-food to a minimum.
Interesting, so for you the pandemic resulted in more home cooking. Wonder what the ratio is of people who increased takeout vs increased home cooking and the factors involved.

So far looks like a mixture of both can't see a clear trend.

I read the national statistics on the frequency and I was just interested in what this small population would look like.

What got me thinking about it was that the other night I was driving home later than I usually do and I noticed a line of cars at the taco bell. I realized at that moment I had completely forgotten that people get fast food for dinner. It's been over a year for me (same with restaurants) and it sort of stunned me how quickly that became normalized to me. Back when I did get fast food I think I would get it 2-3 times a week.

I was vegan for five years, I feel you. Thanks Asa, I appreciate your kindness.

That's very interesting because I've actually eliminated all socializing over food, that's a rule that I have now, and it does seem to be pretty integral to human cultures so a lot of people don't really know what to do when it isn't an option.

I also didn't really think of the angle pre covid vs during because I wonder if peoples eating habits have changed, and whether that be for practicality/safety purposes or an attempt to keep local businesses afloat. Likely a mixture of both.

Interesting, so for you the pandemic resulted in more home cooking. Wonder what the ratio is of people who increased takeout vs increased home cooking and the factors involved.

So far looks like a mixture of both can't see a clear trend.

Ah Taco Bell. I remember an ad campaign of theirs several years back when they shamelessly tried to incept the term "fourth meal" into our brains for anyone up late and experiencing what is 9/10 times going to be some substance-induced form of hunger.

I'm curious about your choice to eliminate socializing over food if you'd be willing to discuss it. It's ok if not. Do you still eat with others (without socializing) or do you prefer to eat in isolation? I've done the latter but it's usually been kind of a shame-based thing associated with planned overeating. However, I am aware that eating with others while refraining from socialization IS a thing depending on the culture (or even personal choice which is interesting to me, hence the question). I had a friend who mentioned that during a visit to see his GF who was being hosted by a family in Nepal, he kept trying to strike up conversation as the meal was very quiet and awkward. It was only later that he found out it was awkward for the very reason that he kept trying to talk during what is typically supposed to be a quiet time where people focus specifically on eating.

@charlene That is awesome that you two are thinking about going into business. I definitely have a passion for cooking that would be idealized in opening my own restaurant (it would be home cooking, nothing fancy) however I lack the business knowledge to do so. Also, there's covid, and with young kids I'm not really in a position to gamble financially.

Ah Taco Bell. I remember an ad campaign of theirs several years back when they shamelessly tried to incept the term "fourth meal" into our brains for anyone up late and experiencing what is 9/10 times going to be some substance-induced form of hunger.

I'm curious about your choice to eliminate socializing over food if you'd be willing to discuss it. It's ok if not. Do you still eat with others (without socializing) or do you prefer to eat in isolation? I've done the latter but it's usually been kind of a shame-based thing associated with planned overeating. However, I am aware that eating with others while refraining from socialization IS a thing depending on the culture (or even personal choice which is interesting to me, hence the question). I had a friend who mentioned that during a visit to see his GF who was being hosted by a family in Nepal, he kept trying to strike up conversation as the meal was very quiet and awkward. It was only later that he found out it was awkward for the very reason that he kept trying to talk during what is typically supposed to be a quiet time where people focus specifically on eating.

@charlene That is awesome that you two are thinking about going into business. I definitely have a passion for cooking that would be idealized in opening my own restaurant (it would be home cooking, nothing fancy) however I lack the business knowledge to do so. Also, there's covid, and with young kids I'm not really in a position to gamble financially.

https://vocaroo.com/1jqYtF44f3en

Why is it so difficult to engage in conversation on this forum as of late? Either there are no replies, or the replies consist of jokes that bring no real value to the conversation.

I understand if I'm not asking substantive questions, I'll concede to that, but at the same time is it too much to expect a little thoughtfulness put into responses?

Jesus christ.

I was thinking about this thread earlier today.:)

We have a restaurant called Denny's here on the East Coast. It's an independent franchise operation but they all get their menu items from the same distributor. It seats maybe 50 people under normal circumstance but are operating at half table capacity during the pandemic.

I cannot describe the jubilation @slant of going into a sit-down eatery with a waitress attending us!

My Dad is elderly and has some health issues, as do I, so we've been relying on drive-thru and curbside since March when this whole virus issue started. Believe me, it's been a long 8 months.

We were out for a drive today and decided since Denny's had inside dining we went in to eat rather than getting curbside and eating in the car yet again.

It was wonderful. The tables were the 6ft distance, all the staff were in masks and little place cards on the table with a description of their sanitation policy, a thank you, and a contact number if we weren't satisfied with our service.

Dad and I were able to sit unmasked while dining but donned our mask if up moving around.

We sure didn't leave hungry, taking some leftovers home for dinner too. The meal was $27.95 for he and I.

Typically fast food drive thru or curbside runs about $20-30 for us. So the diner meal wasn't out of budget. Our dinner meals at home, depending on what I cook range from $7 to $50. The higher priced items usually carry leftovers for another meal or two for us.
Budget wise, at home dinners for us are $7-10 a plate, with out-and-about meals run us $10-15 a plate. So it's not a really large increase, but is more costly to eat out than it is to stay at home.

However, today's excursion was priceless to me. My Dad has a mild depression with his Parkinson's disease, so to see him talking and smiling and enjoying being in a more 'social' atmosphere was great to see. I believe he was flirting a bit with the waitress too. ;) He handed her a $15 tip as we were leaving telling her thank you very much and that he had enjoyed the meal and her service. I thought that was sweet., and thus why today was extra special.