Serval

Regular Poster
Dec 10, 2019
Over There
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
This topic is very well known, or at least, practiced over many centuries. Naturally a scientific approch was born but 1 century ago.
Having said this, I wanted to share some peculiar occurances from my childhood: From age 5 to 10 or so I always suffered from nightmares (I still do but I am not quite sure if I can call them so, i think they are called night terrors), therefore I grew out to be quite curious about them, I expecially remember these dreams/dreamy experiences.
Starting from something I would't even call a dream, more like a stange mixture of night paralysis (without paralysis), hallucination and nightmares. From time to time strange shadows visited me during morning, when everyone in the house was asleep (i slept in the same bed with my brither during this period), I wasn't frightened by them, I understood them to be angels believe it or not, it was a silent relationship. Unfortunatly I never met them again when I decided not to open my eyes staring to the door when I was "awake".

Another thing that isn't a dream: I often woke up upside down (with my head where my feet were supposed to be), I don't remember doing so on purpose, whenever I woke up I was scared because I didn't exactly know where I was, really fascinating. From time to time I also touched thing that were never there, I guess I projected them with my imagination: I was thinking I was embracing my brother, but when I opened my eyes there was no one there. I also typically was seeing faces and bodyes of my parents/my brother on one side of the bad or in achair I use to have in my bedroom.

Thirdly the dreams themselves: they are quite typical I think, the first one started like this: white, white all over, I strained my eyes to see in front of me, a dim mist started to form confounding everything but giving it a shape, there was a waterfall, i was on the top of it. On the bottom of it I saw corpses, who were they? I wondered. Blood all over, guts everywhere, though those lifeless bodies wore a smile on their faces: they were my family, I was also there. I wanted to help so I went toward a pile of dumpsters encircled by strange people with masks on their faces. I saw a cross, help I thought, when I thouched it a whirpool of water engulfed me. When I opened my eyes a strange octopus was strangling me, when I lost consciousness i woke up.

Often times I was sleepwalking, usually crying over things i did not remember when I woke up.
Another dream: I was near a forest, darkness behind and in front of me, the light ofvthe sun shone through the mist. I was walking on a road (many stones on it), from boath sides the vegetation was growing out and a stange red fence protected my entering the wood. Whithout notice a giant boar came over me from behind, I didn't know where I was going until the boar was just in front of me. After closing and subsequently opening my eyes i was awake, screaming.

Having recounted the ones I remember the most I want to know what you might think of them and their psychological explanations. I have my theories, but they might mislead you. Hoping for an answer and for a curious exchange of similar experiences.

Sorry for the grammar errors, I don't usually write or speak in english.

This topic is very well known, or at least, practiced over many centuries. Naturally a scientific approch was born but 1 century ago.
Having said this, I wanted to share some peculiar occurances from my childhood: From age 5 to 10 or so I always suffered from nightmares (I still do but I am not quite sure if I can call them so, i think they are called night terrors), therefore I grew out to be quite curious about them, I expecially remember these dreams/dreamy experiences.
Starting from something I would't even call a dream, more like a stange mixture of night paralysis (without paralysis), hallucination and nightmares. From time to time strange shadows visited me during morning, when everyone in the house was asleep (i slept in the same bed with my brither during this period), I wasn't frightened by them, I understood them to be angels believe it or not, it was a silent relationship. Unfortunatly I never met them again when I decided not to open my eyes staring to the door when I was "awake".

I've experienced similar things, but in more tangible ways. Tingles up my spine. Fog on the mirror. My dogs barking at the wall with nothing on it, sniffing the couch and sitting wagging their tail as if being pet by some unseen being. For the most part, I ignore these phenomenon as random occurrences, though I don't doubt that there is a realm which is out of my periphery.

Another thing that isn't a dream: I often woke up upside down (with my head where my feet were supposed to be), I don't remember doing so on purpose, whenever I woke up I was scared because I didn't exactly know where I was, really fascinating. From time to time I also touched thing that were never there, I guess I projected them with my imagination: I was thinking I was embracing my brother, but when I opened my eyes there was no one there. I also typically was seeing faces and bodyes of my parents/my brother on one side of the bad or in achair I use to have in my bedroom.

I've done this a few times, often when I am restless, hot, or have gotten up in the middle of night and didn't realize it and just slept in the way that I returned to the bed. I have never had hallucinations while awake, other than during a psychosis event, so unsure of that part of your experience. I wonder if you were disoriented or in lucid dreaming state.

Thirdly the dreams themselves: they are quite typical I think, the first one started like this: white, white all over, I strained my eyes to see in front of me, a dim mist started to form confounding everything but giving it a shape, there was a waterfall, i was on the top of it. On the bottom of it I saw corpses, who were they? I wondered. Blood all over, guts everywhere, though those lifeless bodies wore a smile on their faces: they were my family, I was also there. I wanted to help so I went toward a pile of dumpsters encircled by strange people with masks on their faces. I saw a cross, help I thought, when I thouched it a whirpool of water engulfed me. When I opened my eyes a strange octopus was strangling me, when I lost consciousness i woke up.

Often times I was sleepwalking, usually crying over things i did not remember when I woke up.
Another dream: I was near a forest, darkness behind and in front of me, the light ofvthe sun shone through the mist. I was walking on a road (many stones on it), from boath sides the vegetation was growing out and a stange red fence protected my entering the wood. Whithout notice a giant boar came over me from behind, I didn't know where I was going until the boar was just in front of me. After closing and subsequently opening my eyes i was awake, screaming.

Having recounted the ones I remember the most I want to know what you might think of them and their psychological explanations. I have my theories, but they might mislead you. Hoping for an answer and for a curious exchange of similar experiences.

Sorry for the grammar errors, I don't usually write or speak in english.

As for your dreams, the first sounds like you are unconsciously worried about the safety and protection of your family, a need for them to be happy in a dying/unsafe world, yet helpless and out of control for not only them, but for yourself.

The other dream sounds like you may have something 'chasing' you down that is causing you worry and concern. Perhaps, you have something you haven't dealt with that is rising to the surface. Something that you feel is coming, but you don't know how to prepare for it.

Just my own interpretations of your dreams and visions. Take them as you will.

Reactions: John K and o2b
Had a interesting dream overnight. Here is what I remember.
It was set in the real world. No funny images like warped buildings and stuff.
I remember it being dark and a woman saying a girl had killed herself by hanging. Next thing you know I’m walking through a front door as I apparently was invited to the wake. But as soon as I walked through the door, I saw the body still hanging from the ceiling…like she had hung herself in the foyer. I remember my emotions, I was shocked and slightly caught off guard to see they had left the body hanging the way they found it for all guests to see as soon as they walk in.
But as those thoughts and feelings crossed my mind, I could read the hosts mind saying, “we left the body so people never forget to talk to their kids.”
Then the dream kind of shifted to I guess later in the night where I had drank too much whiskey and now was worried about driving home. I started to calculate how to get the car out from the spot it was in and then I went inside and tried to take off a white button down shirt and got stuck. I was getting frustrated (I absolutely hate feeling physically trapped in real life) so I told my mind to slow down and feel my way out of the shirt and just like that…I woke up with 15 mins left before my alarm clock would have.

I checked two interpretations and one said,
It was good luck to see a hanging body cause it means wealth.
But a different site was like…look out for Betrayal.
So who knows.

Last edited:
It's very hard to give meaningful ideas about someone else's dreams without knowing a lot about them. This one sounds like it could be a death and rebirth dream though. You are walking in the bright mist of consciousness that conceals what is happening deep within you. Then you see the waterfall, the water of our deep unconscious minds cascading down into your inner self and showing you some of the things that are there within you. You see your dead family below - these could be the corpses of your deep attitudes and ways of seeing that are as close to you and as safe and comfortable to you as your family, but they are no longer alive. They smile because their time has come and all is well, but that isn't how you can feel about it and in fact it really is a crisis that you have to solve. You instinctively go to the place where we dispose of things that have been used and are no longer needed - it is guarded by people of concealed identity reflecting the unknown, the mysterious, the leap in the dark, the scary. The cross is a symbol of wholeness, of completeness - a fourfold symbol of everything within us coming together. It's a symbol that represents a possibly painful and uncertain transition, one where you need to take risks and chance the unknown in order to be whole and complete. The whirlpool takes you and carries you off into your unconscious mind where the plant of the desire for wholeness has been growing for some time without you knowing - this whirlpool symbolises the idea that your ego is just one of the players in this drama and is swept up in its energy. The octopus is combination of sea creature and 8, which is a powerful symbol of transition from old to new attitudes - a symbol of frightening death, but of rebirth and the possibility of transformation.

I've written this off the top, and it's unlikely to be accurate, but even if it isn't it may trigger responses in you that give you what you feel is really going on. Try doing for yourself what I've done here and see where it goes - don't be afraid to consciously ask your dream images in your imagination about what they mean, and lend them your voice so they can speak back to you. That can be surprisingly effective, though it can also just bring up more strange images.

Good luck with sorting your dreams out Serval.

Last edited: