Dr Who: Demons of the Punjab

wolly.green

Permanent Fixture
Jul 20, 2016
MBTI
ENTP
Enneagram
4w5
Anyone else love this episode? Its had so many bad reviews that I honestly do not understand. Demon of the Punjab was such a deep and well written episode it feels more like an Oscar nominated film than a campy sci fi. Thoughts?

Reactions: Ginny
Anyone else love this episode? Its had so many bad reviews that I honestly do not understand. Demon of the Punjab was such a deep and well written episode it feels more like an Oscar nominated film than a campy sci fi. Thoughts?
It was the first episode of the season that almost had me cry. No, not the first, Rosa hit me in the feels as well. But this time it just reinforced the horror of religion, how it can tear people and families apart. It makes me glad that I am not practicing any religion, even if I am a baptized christian.

I had found the whole season so far briliant, with just a few minor criticisms in technique. I still have to see the reviews, but I have been dissatisfied by those I saw overall, because they mostly only focus on the storytelling frame, method and editing without considering the value of the story of its own.

Reactions: wolly.green
It was the first episode of the season that almost had me cry. No, not the first, Rosa hit me in the feels as well. But this time it just reinforced the horror of religion, how it can tear people and families apart. It makes me glad that I am not practicing any religion, even if I am a baptized christian.

I had found the whole season so far briliant, with just a few minor criticisms in technique. I still have to see the reviews, but I have been dissatisfied by those I saw overall, because they mostly only focus on the storytelling frame, method and editing without considering the value of the story of its own.

Yeah I almost cried as well. But I didn't lol. Anyway, glad I'm not the only one!

Reactions: Ginny
Let's get some outside sources for anyone that might want to discuss.

Got a few recommendations on YT, interesting watch. I don't really know how they felt so offended that they had to make that second video, as the article they freak out over doesn't even mention them. It's just youtubers hating on media, which they are free to do, but it's somehow useless. Furthermore, they talk about the series only very superficially, which is imo disappointing. I expect more from such videos than just ranting about the same things over again. Their personal opinions are something different though, if you have the patience to listen for them.

I actually thought WhatCulture would upload their next Ups & Downs sooner, but shame on me for having such expectations. They are a channel that I trust to have a more or less educated opinion on Who, not because they are British, but because they show to have at least some knowledge about cinematography and storytelling in this format. Doesn't mean I always agree with them, but at least they are honest with their bias and stick to the material.