Phoenix Down

Permanent Fixture
Jun 18, 2010
MBTI
ENTP
Enneagram
3w?
And bring a towel.

So I started a new game (gonna play the Mari route this time) of Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor. And it brings up a nice point about human nature, and human created disaster. The Premise? Tokyo has been put on lock down

(well technically its just the Yamanote sen... which is essentially where all the buisness, entertainment, shopping, tourism... A good analogy would be Manhattan, there are other parts of NYC just Manhattan is the busiest and most densely populated portion... the Yamanote sen- train line- circles around the most urban districts and major train lines. To name a few, Shinagawa, Shinjuku, Shibuya, Ikebukuro, Ueno, Akihabara, Tokyo, Yūrakucho/Ginza.... this is serious shit.)

The city has been closed off by a government agency known as the Self-Defense Force due to an alleged and hazardous gas leak underneath the city's surface... or so they're told. All borders are hermetically sealed all exits blockaded. Orders to shoot anyone who wants out bad enough. Oh did I mention there are demons? well there are and they want to eat you. Oh but they're evil so they like to play with their food.

"If they take the ship, they'll rape us to death, eat our flesh, and sew our skins into their clothing - and if we're very very lucky, they'll do it in that order." - Zoe, Firefly

Basically its a bubble, with shit tons of people, incidents of murder or worse, no power, and a bunch of people in suits saying everything is going to be alright. Just stay where you are... (and you WILL stay) and we'll have things fixed. right... like hell it will... literally

Hopefully that's enough background to understand the context.

Which brings me to this nice little Dialogue that I think brings up some good points on human nature.

Transcribed straight from game. questions in this color are directed at the player The dialogue options not chosen have been stricken out. (I chose answers that were 'truthful' so its good to note the implications of the options not chosen)

SPOILER WARNING
Woman: Hey, Can a borrow you three kids for a second?

The woman introduces herself as Shoji, a Journalist...

Shoji: I'm going around investigating this "Tokyo Lockdown" so I can write an article about it. Oh, I'm just calling it the "Tokyo Lockdown" for lack of a better term... Anyway, I wanted to ask you some questions if it's all right with you.
> Go ahead.
>[strike] We don't have time.[/strike]
Shoji: Great! Everyone else's so busy with themselves that no one's willing to be interviewed. Thanks a bunch.
Atsuro (Party member): Well yeah. Even if they are interviewed, it can't be broadcast with no power. I'm not surprised nobody wants to be part of it.
Shoji: That's not the point! This lockdown is an act of insanity that robs us of our rights. And... I also have a secret plan to get outside the cordon.
Atsuro: Y-You have a plan!? Are you serious!?
Shoji: I am if you'll answer my questions. Let's start with the basic stuff... Where did you sleep yesterday? That is, What kind of place did you spend the night in?
>Outside, in a park.
>[strike]In a School's gym.[/strike]
Shoji: I see...Did anything trouble you while you were there?
>There wasn't enough food.
>[strike]There was no electricity[/strike]
>[strike]We couldn't go home[/strike]
Shoji: True, It's difficult being hungry. There weren't nearly enough rations for everyone... Well then here's the last question.How long do you think this lockdown will last?
>[strike]I don't know[/strike]
>It'll end soon.
>[strike]It will never end.[/strike]
Shoji: Hm, so you still have hope. Looks like people haven't lost trust in the government yet. Thanks Your responses will help me in my article. I don't know exactly how many people are trapped, but it's in the hundreds of thousands. Even then The government has taken almost no action in response to this situation.This is completely absurd! Japan is supposed to be a land of democracy! Once this lockdown is lifted I'm going to investigate what happened and tell the world!
Atsuro: Good luck! We'll be cheering for you! ... in any case, That's this secret plan of yours to get out? Do you really have one!?
Shoji: Yes... Have you heard this? Apparently, the city highway connects to the subway.
>I have heard of that
>[strike]I've never heard of that.[/strike]
Yuzu (other party member): Really!? But the highway's elevated, right? How can it connect to the subway?
Shoji: A segment of the highway runs underground, near the housing for foreign VIPs. It's called the Akasaka Tunnel. There's a Byroad in the tunnel that normal Vehicles aren't allowed in that connects. Or so the rumor goes. I'm going to keep up with my report. If you find some way out of here, let me know!
>What caused the lockdown?
>[strike]Okay. Well, goodbye.[/strike]

Shoji: I'm not certain yet, but I've heard a rumor that it's to keep monsters from escaping. I don't know about that, though. I think it might just be a groundless rumor...

Yuzu: A-Ahaha... In any case, i'm glad that nobody's started to panic.

Shoji: There was no Panic because people were given reasonable explanations... Even if they were lies. "poison gas seeped out, so everyone has to stay away." "An underground explosion cut the power lines." "Everyone must stay calm until everything has been deemed safe." Life doesn't work like a disaster movie. On the contrary, an obvious cause is usually too late to solve anything.

Yuzu: Huh!? Too late...?

Shoji: First of all, have you ever thought about why people begin to panic?

>[strike]They get confused.[/strike]
>They jump to conclusions.

Shoji:...Indeed. They immediately assume the worst case. Why, then do you think that people panic when they imagine the worst?

>They lack information
>[strike]They lack patience[/strike]

Shoji: I'm surprised you'd no that You're right
Panic occurs when people lack information and imagine the worst-case scenario. Thus, panic can be controlled by giving people information, even if it is incorrect.

>What kind of information?
>[strike]Is that really true?[/strike]

Shoji: This current method of panic control has to be carried out according to a careful plan. Yesterday's announcement about the "poisonous gas" said that the gas's source was unknown. Today they've updated their reports to say that the gas is flammable... These updates are important.

>but, why?
>[strike]I see[/strike]

Shoji: These 'official' announcements continue to give people hope that an ongoing investigation will lead to a solution to the current situation, so they don't consider the worst case. Of course, Sensible people doubt the government's reports... But the freeze on communication will stifle those dissenting voices. They'll hold onto those doubts, but they'll silently wait for aid all the same. By the time the real truth comes to light, it'll already be too late...

>That's quite possible.
>[strike]There's no way![/strike]
Shoji: Yes... People who have no way to protect themselves will surely panic then. maybe as early as tomorrow... Two days at most. That's when i expect it to hit the fan. When that happens, it'll be pure chaos in the streets.
Atsuro: What!? Seriously...!?
Yuzu: What? people will be rioting tomorrow?
Shoji: The people will finally break under everything they've endured, society will crumble, and it'll turn to violence... That's what's going to happen if this lockdown continues. I honestly hope that isn't goingto happen, though. Well lets be sure to meet again, okay?

Shoji walks away...

Atsuro: Damn! A riot, as early as tommorow... If that happens, we'll have to protect ourselves from demons and from other people, too...!
Yuzu: yeah, you're right...
Atsuro: Still considering that Shoji said the "Tokyo Lockdown" was so monsters couldn't escape...
>[strike]That's a lie right?[/strike]
>So they know about demons.
Yuzu: That would make sense... I agree with you.
Atsuro: If that's the case, There's no chance of this lockdown ending if we sit around...

No there is not a transcript available online... I looked.
Also i'd like apologize to those viewing this with a blue background. The wheat colored text does tend to blend in. Highlighting it would probably help visibility. Sorry for the inconvenience. black is way cooler btdub

Last edited:
Interesting point. And well said; you succeeded in creating the environment of the game.

Of course the two main points are these IMO:

Panic occurs when people lack information and imagine the worst-case scenario.

People who have no way to protect themselves will surely panic...

you succeeded in creating the environment of the game.
That was the goal. People don't tend to equate games with thought provoking. And the often fantastic nature of the premises don't really help my case. But some games can be VERY compelling if you just give 'em a chance. (I <3 my JRPGs)

It was also my hope by recreating the situation, that people might be able to better sympathize with the characters, and hopefully draw some comparisons to other situations.

Expanding on the points you found to be particularly important.
Panic occurs when people lack information and imagine the worst-case scenario.
The universal implications of this statement are quite interesting. The examination of such tenancies, have lead to the recreation of suspense in forms of media entertainment such as film (especially the suspense genre), television, and games. [size=“1”] dude, I am seriously tropes deprived[/size]

In any case, a logical explanation of panic itself can help quell the impulse to assume the worst or at least allow for one to examine their thought process and evaluate it’s validity. Thus, warding off hysteria and allowing for clarity of thought needed to constructively cope with a situation

People who have no way to protect themselves will surely panic...

I can say in my experience… nothing kills anxiety better than working towards eliminating the stressor. Provided there is a reasonable assessment on what is necessary to do so, and the resources are available.

Hmm. In other places, I can see the panic exploded soon or more, because of the culture. :p Not saying that those aren't applicable anywhere else, but...yeaaah.. >_>; But I agreed, given a 'reasonable' information, panic could be overwhelmed. Well panic is a human nature after all.

Also, which is worse, to have no knowledge, or to have false knowledge? Or to borrow delightfully from TVTropes; Genre Blind, or Wrong Genre Savvy?