Don't mess with my Ni! | INFJ Forum

Don't mess with my Ni!

Lerxst

Jul 3, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
I find I can take a lot of criticism over time and in certain situations. Sure, my feelings might be hurt but they'll recover. One thing I don't simply "let go of" though, would be someone jumping on board and criticizing me during the whole Ni process. As an artist, this would be the type of person what would walk in on a half-finished painting and start making comments about it.

I'm very guarded about who I allow to see my "works in progress" and who I don't. It doesn't have to be a masterpiece of artwork, it could just be a simple e-mail, but you sure as Hell better not walk in and start reading it over my shoulder as I type. After I'm done with it, my Ni steps aside and my "Feelings" take over. Go ahead and criticize all you like at that point, they can take it!

I find I'm more prone to snapping and being rather hostile when someone interrupts me during the process that involves my Ni to be working strong rather than afterwards. It's almost a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde transformation that takes place. The vast majority of arguments I've ever been in with my wife have usually started while I was in that mode; she's one of those "sensor" types, oblivious to the whole Intuitive process!

Any of the other Ni's here notice they get really "touchy" about people intruding on them while they're imbedded in this train of thought?

Sensor? GASP!

Reactions: invisible and acd
I think I'm the same way, my unfinished work feels very private/unfit for viewing/criticism (like it needs guarding)... it’s kind of like I'm not wearing clothes during these moments... I just need to finish it first (or at least get my permission before walking in on me naked!).

Reactions: Gaze
I find I can take a lot of criticism over time and in certain situations. Sure, my feelings might be hurt but they'll recover. One thing I don't simply "let go of" though, would be someone jumping on board and criticizing me during the whole Ni process. As an artist, this would be the type of person what would walk in on a half-finished painting and start making comments about it.
QUOTE]
i can relate to this in a big way! i too am an artist, and i resent unsolicited opinions on my works in progress. but you know, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.
i rarely ask someone what they think of the finished piece either. sometimes i think my art is only for me. haha this makes it difficult to let go of when i do sell a piece.
my partner does not 'get' my art. (i do mostly abstracts) so he thinks of it as doodling or messing around. it's tough to take, but i have to tell myself that i'm not doing it for him. he doesn't critique my work anymore because i don't show it to him anymore.
that makes me sad.

Yup. Don't interrupt my thought if I'm trying to get it down on paper!!! Sensor husband has learned to back off. However; I don't mind if he sees see a work of art in progress. Most times he's intrigued by the transformation. :D

Omg, I can relate to this in a BIG way. I build furniture for a living and I'm a perfectionist about it so if someone comes and looks at something unfinished and makes a comment about this or that, oh my god watch out. People aren't allowed to see my work before it's done. Or I should rephrase and say people aren't allowed to see my work while it still has pieces of "fucked up" in it, even tiny things. It's mostly annoying because they are pointing out something I already KNOW is there and am already working towards a solution to.

Omg, I can relate to this in a BIG way. I build furniture for a living and I'm a perfectionist about it so if someone comes and looks at something unfinished and makes a comment about this or that, oh my god watch out. People aren't allowed to see my work before it's done. Or I should rephrase and say people aren't allowed to see my work while it still has pieces of "fucked up" in it, even tiny things. It's mostly annoying because they are pointing out something I already KNOW is there and am already working towards a solution to.

For some reason I thought you ran a HVAC company for a living.

Yup. Don't interrupt my thought if I'm trying to get it down on paper!!! Sensor husband has learned to back off. However; I don't mind if he sees see a work of art in progress. Most times he's intrigued by the transformation. :D

Agreed.

I am the same way in this regard, probably to a fault. When I decided to study art I didn't tell anyone about it and told everyone I was a liberal arts major. I think it's because I feel very vulnerable throughout the artistic process and if someone intrudes while I have a work in progress it puts me at risk of losing my thought track and inspiration. I can take it if someone screw with my head or my heart, but both at once?......No

For some reason I thought you ran a HVAC company for a living.

I dropped out of HVAC school actually, so I was involved with it a bit at one point but not heavily or anything.

Any of the other Ni's here notice they get really "touchy" about people intruding on them while they're imbedded in this train of thought?

Yes. I can be very grumpy when I'm working hard on something. Nor do I like people interfering with my creative endeavors.

sometimes my Ni allows me to see everything that will ever happen in the world

and sometimes it just allows me to see some knights...

I am kind of private about my works in progress. I think it stems from the fact that if I am working on something independantly I dont want it to be influenced by outside sources. I want it to be all my work.

I'm in between both.
When someone asks for my advice, I will give it to them. Most of the time kindly, supportive and so on, unless they want my honest suggestions, I will not give it to them. It is their work of art, not mine. And when I do give my suggestions, I try to hold on to what's true to their own individuality, what makes them unique. The way they make certain curves, angles, face expressions, colors schemes, type of utensils, etc. etc. I give them the space they need, because I respect them giving me space when I'm working on something.
As for when I'm in the zone, I prefer to be alone. I can not hear criticism when I'm working either. I get very aggravated inside when someone starts criticizing, and I put up the 'cold' silent mode if I really have to get something done. Otherwise, I let them know I need my space. I do like to get advice when I ask for it though, which is rare towards my own art. I tend to have certain pauses where I reveal something, when I'd like to get an idea of how someone else is seeing it. Their perspective is intriguing to me, as long as it not...so harsh.. haha.

Pro-tip, getting offended by someones opinion isn't conducive if you consider that you wouldn't want them to get offended by yours. Otherwise you have met your goal.

Yeah. I tend to be more irritable during these times. Fe is not even going to save me... or the person that interrupted me.

Wouldn't it be nice if Ni doms were all given soundproof offices (with locks) to work in?