Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys... | INFJ Forum

Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys...

dneecey

I am who I am.
Apr 17, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
What is something that you wish your ex's parents had taught them?

Me? I wish they had taught him to respect the one he was with as an equal, and not to be as spoiled as he was. That was something they could have nipped in the bud earlier on. :(

Avoid the machoism. It gets tired. Your partner doesn't need someone who has it all figured out or knows it all or who can't admit when they're wrong or at least mistaken. And take the time to actually listen and have a conversation with your partner where both of you actually pay attention to what each other says or thinks, even if you disagree. This goes a long way to increasing understanding compared to talking past each other or pretending to listen.

And for heaven's sakes, don't say or treat your partner as some stereotypical man or woman. See them as individuals or people first, and partner's second. Avoid interpreting their behavior through gender or sexist stereotypes.

Last edited:
What is something that you wish your ex's parents had taught them?

Me? I wish they had taught him to respect the one he was with as an equal, and not to be as spoiled as he was. That was something they could have nipped in the bud earlier on. :(

This kind of thing makes me wish that they would re-introduce corporal punishment to schools, and encourage parents to spank their children: who want's to live in a world of spoiled adult brats?

Don't say overly disrespectful, mean things about your S.O's friends.

Don't keep important information about you hostage just to keep the person interested unless for reasons of safety/security. Be honest; they'll trust you more. Holding too many things back only makes them want to question everything later on. It just makes them wonder whether they even knew the real you.

Last edited:
I wish my ex's parents had taught him to stand up for himself more. His mum loved to walk all over him and his dad, and so he never really stood up for himself, which was a huuuge relationship-killer. I don't want to go out with a doormat!

Reactions: Gaze
seeing as I've not been involved or separated from a romantic relationship I'll offer this. This thread is named after an old country song, preformed by country music legends Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings....... the more you know

Not to be a deceitful, cheating douche.