Doing the right thing _only_ when nobody is looking | INFJ Forum

Doing the right thing _only_ when nobody is looking

Joonas

Mar 23, 2011
MBTI
entp
Enneagram
6w7, 1w2, 4w5
I find that doing a nice thing to someone while being watched feels really awkward, especially if it isn't expected.
Is that normal/understandable?

I'm basically manipulating people to think that I'm not interested in their well being to avoid the awkward feeling, and I haven't been able to find anything about such behaviour.

Reactions: Nixie
you're a penguin

Last edited:
Reactions: Majesty
I find that doing a nice thing to someone while being watched feels really awkward, especially if it isn't expected.

I'm basically manipulating people to think that I'm not interested in their well being to avoid the awkward feeling, and I haven't been able to find anything about such behaviour.

I would say normal/understandable is too subjective to answer. However, it would seem you have made a "value judgement" either against being publically acknowledged for your deeds or you consider your deeds "wrong" somehow. There could be other possibilites, I haven't taken the time to formulate all the possible variables and just went with the most obvious.

I would do this if I was worried I would be praised for my niceness (which would be embarrassing) or I would feel embarrassed that other people would look and go "oh that's nice" or, perhaps, when someone is watching, I feel that I am playing up to the camera - so to speak - or that they will perceive it that way.

Yes, I wouldn't be one to enjoy any attention on the matter. Depending on the situation, I would find a way to do the (good) deed anonymously, but I'd be equally uncomfortable about manipulating things too much.

Yeaaaa, I know what you're talking about. I always worry that people will think I'm being fake or something.

Some people have told me that this is Fe, but I guess not since you've typed yourself as ENTP.

Yeaaaa, I know what you're talking about. I always worry that people will think I'm being fake or something.

Some people have told me that this is Fe, but I guess not since you've typed yourself as ENTP.
entps have fe in their 2nd/super ego.
Ne-Ti-Fe-Si

Back when I was religious, I believed that anonymous acts of goodness would be rewarded a bazillion times over in the next life, instead of receiving a bit of praise in this life. You know, keeping your left hand in the dark or whatever.

These days, awkwardness is bad.

Yeah I get this too.

I think people in general don't like having people's views of them altered, even if it's not a view they like.