Does someone's hairstyle change how you see or feel about them? | INFJ Forum

Does someone's hairstyle change how you see or feel about them?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Can someone you've met casually, in a friendship, or relationship 's hairstyle change how you see or feel about them? This question is not really about whether or not someone is more attractive with or without the change, but how their personality "appears" because of how we (the person looking and interacting with them) see and respond to this change.

This question came up because i was watching a film about a character who was running from the law and dyed her hair color (which is really a wig) to elude them. Now, her original hair color is red, full, and slightly wavy. With the wig, it was brunette, straight, and thinner. And it gave a very different look to her face. She seemed like quite a different person (from appearance alone). You would've perceived her differently - her personality, etc. because of it.

Please avoid answers such as "no, we shouldn't judge people as different because of their appearance," and instead analyze how we actually respond to changes in appearance.

So, has your opinion of anyone ever changed because of hair style/color? Did you respond to them differently? If you did, how did they respond to your change in behavior towards them?

Last edited:
We judge and carry stereotypes about people based on all aspects of their appearance, especially their hair. If I am put off by someone's hair, I don't show it.

I really don't know whats going on in my subconscious like that, interesting for you to bring up though. The only thing that really jumps out at me is that I want to get to know bald guys. Why no hair? Is it an aesthetic choice or is there something wrong? Are you as severe as you appear to be or rather pleasant and easy going? Never ask those things up front but I am much more likely to walk up and say hello and try to get to know them just to satisfy my curiosity. Now that I think about it dreadlocks elicit a similar response, so I guess if the hairstyle is far enough off the spectrum it causes my curiosity to be peaked.

I went off on a tangent, sorry about that. I can't recall ever having a biased opinion based on someone changing their hairstyle. My best friend shaved his head because he was balding, we joked about how he might be seen by others just meeting him but our friendship never changed. I've never wanted to interact with someone differently because of how they changed their appearance, it always elicits a response if it is noticeable but nothing negative as I recall.

Last edited:
Humans judge others by how people choose to present themselves, by making associations with cultural behaviors and expectations. This is basic pattern recognition. People who look like this tend to act like that, either by personal experience or stereotype association.

Hairstyle is one of the most obvious manners of self presentation, after fashion.

I do get thrown off sometimes if someone radically changes their hairstyle. I guess that like clothing, mannerisms and other factors that affect appearance can be an expression of inward qualities, and therefore have at least some merit as to how it influences perception of personality. I think that people tend to use their memories and experiences with others as a subconscious basis for percieving a person.
The only time it really messes with my mind is when the new hairstyle the person has is radically different, or if it doesn't seem to 'suit' them (as you've always percieved them.)

Unfortunately, in my predominate group, hair is EVERYTHING. If you don't have "good hair" then you need to do something about it. Now, on the opposite side to that, I refuse to conform. I have the hair I was born with, and putting heat and/or chemicals on it to make it a certain way hasn't been my thing for nearly 20 years now.

In my opinion, this is given me more freedom so I don't have to rely on my culture's interpretation of "good hair." But...it's a bit isolationist as well because I'm categorized as a certain type of person because I've chosen to go natural.

Meh. All that to say that yes, we do assume things about people based on their hair. I try not to, though, because I know what it's like. One of our student workers - a quiet, so-called normal, slightly heavyset girl (I thought) - recently shaved off all her hair. It was definitely a shock to see her bald, and I embarrassingly asked if she did it on purpose. Why she did it, I didn't ask, but I probably now see her as more of a rebel, even though she's still the same girl she was the day before shaving her head.

Reactions: Gaze
I am put off by other men with 'big' or 'fancy' hair - it really repels me.

I presume men with shaved heads are not going to be touchy - and it is surprising when they are.

Women with hairstyles resembling those of men repel me - I think they are going to have 'issues' - I know this is mostly inaccurate, but that's what the hairstyle does to me.

Women with long, flowing hair are automatically in my 'good books' - I can't help it.

People with super-curly hair kind of put me in a funny mood.

I had a beautiful boyfriend once. He had the long hair, hippie style dress, very laid back. When he cut his hair the whole mystique changed and I broke up with him. He called me shallow and he was right. I was 16 but still - shallow. When his hair grew in I wanted to get back together but he said to forget it. lol

Reactions: acd
Yes. I have the propensity to be shallow. I'll admit it. I've dated guys whose haircuts I've hated and almost wanted to break up with them for...and I just had to keep the mantra going in my head: "Hair grows.. Hair grows!" While I looked at them and imagined a different style on their head.

Reactions: Flavus Aquila
only to the extent that it reflects upon their character. for example if someone always had long hair and then suddenly cut it off, i'd wonder what motivated it. but if a person changes their hair color/style every other week, i probably wouldn't even notice.

We judge and carry stereotypes about people based on all aspects of their appearance, especially their hair. If I am put off by someone's hair, I don't show it.

this ^^

So, has your opinion of anyone ever changed because of hair style/color? Did you respond to them differently? If you did, how did they respond to your change in behavior towards them?

No. I mean, yes, I'll get thrown off for a time. I remember my friend dyed a certain part of her hair black and white once since she wanted zebra stripes, and for maybe a couple of days I couldn't stop staring at it and thinking, 'Wow. That is just odd.' But what's odd to me may be 'fashionable' to her and 'cool' to others, it really just depends on your perspective on it.

Overall though, hair color and style doesn't really matter to me. I can't really relate to the whole Change hair color/hair style, totally different person thing. They're still who they are, it's just the hair color or hair style that changed. I didn't become friends with them because their hair was pretty that day or because it looked good. I just shrug it off. Doesn't really matter much to me.

Yep. When I was a little girl, my dad came home with a beard, and I ran away from him, screaming. I don't run away screaming from men with beards anymore, but sometimes I want to. I've noticed it's only certain kinds of beards that produce that kind of reaction.

crazy-hair12.jpg

matt1981.jpg

phil%20spector%20crazy%20hair.jpg

Yes, it does. Hair isn't the be-all-end-all of someting but it definitely influences my perspective of someone. One of my old roomies consistently rocks a big mohawk and it is always interesting to see the reactions it influences.

If someone insisted on wearing a mullet, not as a 1 time prank but as an everyday hair style, I would probably have a hard time joining them in public.

Yes. I have the propensity to be shallow. I'll admit it. I've dated guys whose haircuts I've hated and almost wanted to break up with them for...and I just had to keep the mantra going in my head: "Hair grows.. Hair grows!" While I looked at them and imagined a different style on their head.

But why is it deemed shallow? Because a hairstyle is seen as superficial?

Well, that is an over-simplification of the human psyche. I have always thought that those who insist on 'not being shallow' have a tendency to be narrow-minded as well. Not everyone mind you, it is always advantageous to seek the most robust perspective.

A hairstyle is a statement. You implement a crazy hairstyle knowing that it will elicit reactions in public; that is unless you have a mental handicap. Trying to say otherwise or expect otherwise seems a bit narrow-minded. That isn't to say I don't welcome the diversity of different styles but to me it seems kinda trivial. Don't get me wrong, there are some extremely conservative people that go far out of their way to stifle anything that isn't within their expectations.

However, adapting a superficial part of yourself to something that goes far beyond the standard local culture doesn't exactly scream deep to me. To me, it seems like psychological warfare begging for a challenge. I say these things because I made superficial statements like that myself and I only speak from my own experiences.

I think the 'deep' classification comes from someone that doesn't fit into the culture wanting the conservative to question their own bias and why they are so apprehensive towards something 'different.' Where I live now is extremely blue collar and very conservative. Different societies have different implementations and standards. Understanding that and knowing your way around it and being efficient for whatever you want to do seems much more deep than constantly fighting the tide simply to challenge others in a way they don't wish to be challenged.

That being said, if you simply like the hairstyle then no problems here!

I'd break up with myself if I cut my hair short.

I'd break up with myself if I cut my hair short.

What if you get drunk and pass out and someone else shaves your head?

o_O

I am going to be soooooo paranoid now!

Just check for poor people that want to sell your hair as wig before you pass out.

o_O

I am going to be soooooo paranoid now!

I would be too, if I were you, I heard it through the grapevine that NAI was complaining of your hair getting into his eyes when it's windy outside and that he is looking for a perfect chance to cut it off. :D