Does society still need a conception of sin? | INFJ Forum

Does society still need a conception of sin?

Lark

Rothchildian Agent
May 9, 2011
MBTI
ENTJ
Enneagram
In a lot of the world religions and in a different form in some of the great philosophies there is a conception of sin and living a life free of sin or a blameless life was commendable and almost a universal goal but the idea has been considered bunk or rejected wholesale for some time now, or at least in a lot of the sources I've read, like Bertrand Russell's conquest of happiness, although to be honest in even more sources its simply forgotten or doesnt feature at all.

So my question would be does society still need a conception of sin? Can it serve any good? And what is the legacy of its existence as a conception of importance for a greater part of human history?

Only sinners believe in a silly concept like sin.

I believe in sin because I'm a silly christian full of shite

shiza for breakfast lunch and dinner

Well, I think is perfectly correct to say that society never feel the need for a conception of sin. People always believed themselfs to be great and wonderful, not sinners. Perhaps just a little evil sometimes, but in general, there was the conception of grandiose humanity.

Only sinners believe in a silly concept like sin.

yea. Just like Jesus said, "If you were blind, you would have no sin (admited sinners); but since you say, 'We see,' your sin remains."(admited non-sinners)

In a lot of the world religions and in a different form in some of the great philosophies there is a conception of sin and living a life free of sin or a blameless life was commendable and almost a universal goal but the idea has been considered bunk or rejected wholesale for some time now, or at least in a lot of the sources I've read, like Bertrand Russell's conquest of happiness, although to be honest in even more sources its simply forgotten or doesnt feature at all.

So my question would be does society still need a conception of sin? Can it serve any good? And what is the legacy of its existence as a conception of importance for a greater part of human history?

It really comes down to how you define sin, are we talking about the general I've done a bad thing kind of sin that most of the world recognizes.
In which case your asking does the world need a concept of wrong?

Are you asking about a more biblical definition of sin, which there are a couple. Harmartia, in the Greek meaning literally "missing the mark"

Or Ponerous meaning an temoultuous time or Kakos which means evil.

In one of the more Iconic lines in the Bible Paul states "All have sinned and all have fallen short of the Glory of God." That's hamartia, that's missing the mark. Which sounds like as good of place any.

Does the world need to be aware that it's coming short of God's intentions? does the world need to know that were missing the Glory of God? With a question like that I can see why self-help books would shy away from the concept, for one it opens up a whole nother can of worms about what God's intention's are and how can we be faithful to them. But I do think there is a real practical reasoning as to understanding what sin is and why it's important.

Another popular thread being discussed right now is all about spirituality and how religion is stifling it. It's about how we have this grand and majestic universe to live in and how we should be happy to be apart of it and to help make it into and even grander and more beautiful place. While I may have quite a few disagreements with [MENTION=10289]Rift Zone[/MENTION] about his understanding of both religion, spirituality and their affect on the world, I can get behind the Idea of this wonderfully beautiful piece of creation and how we should strive to make better of it.

That's why I think sin is important, That's why I think should still strive to be understood(and through that understanding a closer relationship with God). I I love this world, if I want to see it become more then it already is then i should go to it's originator, it's creator. Only in understanding God's will can you understand how to best take care of this existence, I'm not talking about this planet or this solar system, I'm talking about all of it, you, me, the birds and the bees. God built and he built it with a purpose in mind, by attuning ourselves to that purpose we can find fulfillment in our lives, in our world and in each other.

Reactions: sprinkles
We had a new, black mayor a few years back. He had all the paintings in the courthouse and elsewhere removed that depicted the history of the civil war. The mayor said they brought back too many memories of the enslaved blacks during the civil war. Some folk would rather forget some things than face them or look at them. In doing so, they just keep bringing it up over and over again. History is history.

So long as there is learning, there is pain and sin. "Hate the sin and not the sinner" sums up my views fairly well, although it's simplistic. I think that we have gone about corrections the wrong for a very long time, and is marked by the shortages, psycho-spiritual as well as material, which have caused most of the sinners to sin, and us to sin against the sinners in turn and create the environment for more of the same... to be somewhat brutally honest, I think things have been messed up on Earth for a long, long time, but not without cause (karma is karma). Pain is unavoidable, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to mitigate or minimize it, mostly through prevention and showing people the love that they all deserve anyway. Sometimes there are people who don't seem to be able to get it, but imho that's mostly because they haven't found somebody yet who understands where they're at and how to get through it.

Last edited:
Is sin just a matter of right and wrong?

Is sin just a matter of right and wrong?

yes, but with eternal implications. If sin is real conform to the Bible, some people will spent a eternity in closeness with God, while other will spent a eternity in separation from God, a eternal punishment.

yes, but with eternal implications. If sin is real conform to the Bible, some people will spent a eternity in closeness with God, while other will spent a eternity in separation from God, a eternal punishment.

I dont think its a zero sum game though, nothing is impossible to God.

Although I'm prepared for the possibility that this is the only life and only existence, that there is no after life and this is all ordained by God.

I dont think its a zero sum game though, nothing is impossible to God.

Although I'm prepared for the possibility that this is the only life and only existence, that there is no after life and this is all ordained by God.
Some things are impossible to God, like lying, or suffering sin, also to make a square circle...

Some things are impossible to God, like lying, or suffering sin, also to make a square circle...

I dont think anything's impossible to God.

Actually I think the concept of Sin should make a comeback.

I'm not religious but I do think there's a LOT of truth in the 7 deadly sins, for example. Committing them can be very damaging to one's happiness.

Jesus could have done all those things. especially the square circle.

Jesus could have done all those things. especially the square circle.

How is that? Are you speaking of Jesus the man, or Jesus the God?

Actually I think the concept of Sin should make a comeback.

I'm not religious but I do think there's a LOT of truth in the 7 deadly sins, for example. Committing them can be very damaging to one's happiness.

I got to agree, I kind of see most of the conceptions of sin and recommendations to avoid them through virtue as being about perfectability of man and happiness by dealing with avoidable suffering, dispensing with it.

So the wholesale rejection of it all because of how its been conceived of from time to time is a bad idea.

How is that? Are you speaking of Jesus the man, or Jesus the God?

There's only one Jesus, entirely human, entirely God. The point of Jesus coming to earth was to live as man with all the pain suffering and temptations, and show that it can be done, to give us an example to live and die by as human. For his death to have meaning he has to be wholly God because only something infinite and perfect can bear the totality of sin forever. The square circle is more of a joke.

There's only one Jesus, entirely human, entirely God. The point of Jesus coming to earth was to live as man with all the pain suffering and temptations, and show that it can be done, to give us an example to live and die by as human. For his death to have meaning he has to be wholly God because only something infinite and perfect can bear the totality of sin forever. The square circle is more of a joke.

If god can somehow be everywhere in the universe but we can't physically find it anywhere then a square circle would be trivial.

It doesn't even have to be a joke if you think about it.

If god can somehow be everywhere in the universe but we can't physically find it anywhere then a square circle would be trivial.

It doesn't even have to be a joke if you think about it.

I'm not entirely read up on it but I had a friend make a pretty convincing argument that God isn't omnipresent.