Does anyone else get very philosophical sometimes? | INFJ Forum

Does anyone else get very philosophical sometimes?

Kelly

Dec 14, 2014
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
A lot of the time in the evening I become very philisophical. I look up quotes and think about life a lot. I come up with fake arguments with myself (is this weird?) trying to explain myself and life. Just wondering if this is normal for INFJs. I guess it's my way of working through my thoughts and sorting things out.

I believe it can be normal for INFJs. I particularly find myself gaining great philosophical insight into life and my personal feelings from everyday objects that are just placed in the right place. For example, I was out hiking and doing some photography with my girlfriend (she actually just joined this forum, she is [MENTION=12924]danishreck[/MENTION]) and ended up on this long footbridge bridge across a river. I was standing on the bridge and looked over the side of it at the concrete foundation in the water. There was a large 15 foot long tree branch stuck up against the concrete, perfectly centered so it could not pass under the bridge. The force of the water was not enough to break it so it was indefinitely stuck teeter-tottering back and forth with the current. And as I looked at this branch, I realized that it represented something much more than just a tree limb in the water - it represented the delicate balance of life. And I progressed to break down this observation even further, until I felt like I had gained all the insight I could. Then I named the branch Freddy and wished him well on his journey downstream.

Reactions: Kgal
We sort out other people's thoughts because we don't understand the nature of our own.

I love philosophy. I'm currently double majoring in psychology and philosophy :)

I love philosophy. I'm currently double majoring in psychology and philosophy :)

I have always had a dream of double majoring in those two, have you chosen your sub-fields of the two yet? Personally, epistemology and metaphysics are the two that interest me the most in philosophy. For psychology, criminal psychology has always been very fascinating to me.

I have always had a dream of double majoring in those two, have you chosen your sub-fields of the two yet? Personally, epistemology and metaphysics are the two that interest me the most in philosophy. For psychology, criminal psychology has always been very fascinating to me.

I haven't yet. I'm only sophomore undergrad, lol. But I very much enjoy metaphysics and ethics, and adolescent psychology :)

If you want to, you should definitely pursue the majors. It's always great to follow your interests.

Except when you want to be an architect but suck at math.

Personally, as an infj, yes. I once got bored in class and I had crumpled a piece of paper. I started comparing it to souls and I won't go into it but long story short I got attached to a crumpled piece of paper...I almost think we get so philosophical because as much as we want to be understood we want to understand ourselves. How better to do that than with comparing ourselves with other people, experiences, and objects?

Yeah. :/ I tend to see philosophy as a less practical, and yet fundamental part of psychology.

Yes. Very philosophical. Ie, going into detail various subjects that supposedly have no answer, and answering them. Such as does god exist? Two answers. 1. Yes, as a concept or ideal, see Friedrich Nietzsche's book Thus Spoke Zarathustra. As such, I am an idealist. 2. As for the existence of an entity, I don't know. As such I am agnostic.

As for personification, I relate. :p

I am always philosophical. The only times I am not philosophical is when I am engaged in an activity that requires my full concentration; usually when i am playing sports or interacting with people. INFJs are natural philosophers and we are very much attracted to understanding the essence of life and the universe. You don't even really have to go to higher education to even develop these aspects. it is a gift given to us and we must use it to create and make profound discoveries int he world. Via writing, teaching, art and anything that helps bring light to the world. If I existed in the time periods of the enlightenment or even renaissance; I can see INFJs are forerunners to create society that helped answer the big questions of life. We can still do it; but because of systematic suppression via cultural standards a lot of INFJs are timid and afraid to voice their ideas and stand by them.

NOTE: INTP

I become too philosophical and can lose touch with reality. To question everything and believe nothing is to not exist. There is no objective reality that contains meaning only a sea of subjectivity that flows in unison. One can only hope their boat does not face opposing waters.

A lot of the time in the evening I become very philisophical. I look up quotes and think about life a lot. I come up with fake arguments with myself (is this weird?) trying to explain myself and life. Just wondering if this is normal for INFJs. I guess it's my way of working through my thoughts and sorting things out.

Dude, I've gotten so philosophical about myself, I google-search my birthday personality so I can better comprehend me!

Yes. Very philosophical. Ie, going into detail various subjects that supposedly have no answer, and answering them. Such as does god exist? Two answers. 1. Yes, as a concept or ideal, see Friedrich Nietzsche's book Thus Spoke Zarathustra. As such, I am an idealist. 2. As for the existence of an entity, I don't know. As such I am agnostic.

Where did Nietzsche said or implied that? He clearly stated that even God as a "concept" was dead for modern society.

I think this is totally normal for us.
Can you minor in philosophy, or is it too late to consider that?
As to the math issue: I suggest you ask for help/tutoring, especially if architecture is your passion. (We tend to be perfectionists and demand more from ourselves than from others.)
Asking for assistance is the prudent approach and NOT a sign a sign of weakness/failure BTW...

i observe and analyse the world around me a lot, especially if i'm in a bad mood. a director once told me that observing and analyzing the world makes for a very creative and beautiful mind, and i agree! celebrate what sets you apart and run with it. you're all wonderful, smart and analytical people, learn how to use it in your day to day lives would be my 2 cents.

oh and i love philosophy! a huge kierkegaard fan, i like satre and immanuel kant too.

Where did Nietzsche said or implied that? He clearly stated that even God as a "concept" was dead for modern society.

confirmed for accuracy.

Reactions: BrokenDaniel
I don't do this sometimes. I do it pretty much all the time.
Except that I've pretty much answered all questions that occured to me. Or classified certain questions as unanswerable.

Ha-ha, yup! Just part of being me. :p My friends are always saying, "Oh there he goes again spouting all of his philosophy" which I never intend to do. Someone asks me a question, or I observe something being said and this philosophical part of me just kicks in. ^^'

I'm reading a lot that people often think about how others are feeling/thinking to help better understand themselves...I totally understand this but from time to time I'm telling myself to, "Focus on your own thoughts" and it's a really nice relief. x.x All too often I get caught up in observing everyone to the up most detail and 'getting into their mind' and experiencing it for myself. It's a great way to learn, but ya need a break every now and then! xD

Night time is usually my peak time for deep thoughts and quotes as well. Best time to just relax and take in the days activities and even learn more. Just the other day I spend the majority of my time watching the "Through The Wormhole" series. ^.=.^