does anybody take medication for anxiety? | INFJ Forum

does anybody take medication for anxiety?

beepmachine

Jun 19, 2012
MBTI
INFJ?
Enneagram
6w5
i've had moderate-severe anxiety problems for years (like... five, six years, continually) and i'm trying to work up the courage to see a doctor about it. knowing my situation and knowing the doctors around here i feel like they may prescribe me medication for it, which sounds potentially awesome but also worries me a bit. a few questions:

- what sort of side effects do common anti-anxiety medications produce?
- how to avoid the likely temptation to abuse prescribed medication?
- what sort of relief do these medications provide? (as in, what changes do you experience?)
please explain what specific medications you've tried if you don't mind, i always like to get a good full idea of things before i dive in.

i have anxiety on a daily basis coupled with mild semi-frequent panic attacks. i've been taking 5-htp for relief for several months now, and it's helped, but i don't want to use an untested/somewhat unregulated supplement for a long period of time (plus i feel myself building a tolerance for it and it's hard to get in this country).

i hope i don't sound like someone who's just looking for pills but i really don't believe in traditional behavioral therapy by itself and i'm fucking dying for some relief these days. now i'm a grown up so maybe i can make it happen.

anyway your thoughts and input are very much appreciated.

i used to, it was horrible. i dont recommend it. you should have sex and relax with friends and loved ones.

[MENTION=5661]beepmachine[/MENTION] and if you are really really bad smoke weed. its the best medicine for that

ohhhh i do a lot of that. the weed i mean. it helps sometimes, but not always. i'm high more often than i'm sober so it more or less just feels normal.

the problem with the sexing and relaxing is those things are only temporary. it's the empty spaces that kill me.

I have tried various SRIs over the years. The problem for me and SRIs is they turned me into somewhat of a zombie or incapable of feeling any emotion. I'm an emotional being ... experiencing happiness and sadness are a part of life I do not want to entirely miss. They also lowered my sex drive. The benefit is that I was not irritable or anxious. I remember one time in particular I took my two kids (who were VERY young at the time) to a clothing store. I normally avoided taking them with me b/c of the anxiety it would produce, but the medication made me loosen up quite a bit and not worry so much. I hated coming off of them. I had what I called "brain snaps" (like someone is snapping their fingers in your ears and you blank out for .010 of a second) ... it's difficult to describe that phenomenon.

Overall, I did not like the SRIs. I am now on Wellbuterin (works with dopamine, not serotonin) and it has been a world of difference. I don't feel like I'm in a "fog" anymore, it has increased my alertness and focus (it is used for mild adult ADD). I feel that in itself was a huge contributor to my anxiety. It allows me to "feel" without experiencing extreme irritability or anxiety. There are also no sexual side effects.

I know that medication for me will be a life long endeavor. I need it like a diabetic needs insulin. I have been to therapy, the only really good thing that came out of that was learning to set boundaries with others. Otherwise, the only other behavioral method to reduce your anxiety is by facing it and learning coping mechanisms in the process.

I wish you wellness!

Reactions: Lerxst
I experienced the same thing ("brain snaps") that [MENTION=4423]Sriracha[/MENTION] did coming off my SRIs. Also, a lot of hot and cold flashes. But at the time I was ready to deal with my problems and return to humanity, and coming off was well worth it. Overall, I don't believe those drugs (SRIs) really improved my feelings of wellbeing or my ability to deal with life, but there are members here who have mentioned things like Wellbutrin and Ativan that seem to have proven useful for them.

I currently take 5-htp as well. I also recommend aromatherapy. I have this product: http://www.escentsaromatherapy.com/Stress-Relief-Essential-Oil-Blend_p_358.html at home, and it helps calm me down or get me to sleep. I never really imagined something like this would have a significant effect before I tried it out lol, but it did. It's not something to rely on, but it does help to ground your thoughts when things get tough and the effect lasts more than just a couple minutes.

It may be tough but try your best to push yourself to "snap out of it" when you're ready, to take care of your health (please eat well and exercise), and your daily responsibilities, and try to get your hands on a good counselor. Hold on to what you can in your life. Don't just let your anxiety take it away. (Not trying to sound like I'm nagging you, just trying to pump you up a little. :D)

Reactions: jyrffw54
I was put on an SRI and it made me suicidal. Not so keen on those. I have had anxiety problems for fifteen years and cycle through periods where I experience no anxiety what so ever or I am having panic attacks every day and can barely leave the house.

Right now what seems to have made the most difference was changing my eating habits and exercising regularly- and not even working out hard. Just making sure that I go for a walk or something every day for at least 30 minutes. Also cutting out sugar and carbs helps a LOT. I never realized what an impact my eating had on my anxiety.

I have ativan right now which I do not take regularly. I only take it if I have something I have to do or somewhere I need to be and my anxiety is overwhelming me to the point I don't think I can follow through. Otherwise just knowing I have it with me makes a big difference.

Reactions: #@&5&49
years ago i was prescribed xanax for anxiety and panic disorder
they worked fabulously! unfortunately they are highly addictive and only given for a short period of time.
the good news is that was enough time for me to address the issues that caused the panic and anxiety in the first place, which is what i ultimately reccomend you do.
pills by themselves will not stop the problem. therapy is needed to get to the root of why.

Reactions: #@&5&49
[MENTION=4992]Sai[/MENTION]

Your views are very personalized and although I am not against smoking marijuana. . . I don't think marijuana is the cure for absolutely everything. What is best is what works for the person, whether it is marijuana or prescription medication, but it is also very important to get to the issues which cause the individual to feel anxiety. Mental-health counseling is always great for working through personal stuggles.

No.

I just drink.