Do you think about death a lot? | INFJ Forum

Do you think about death a lot?

j654dgj7

Please delete this account.
Jun 8, 2012
MBTI
XXXX
We're all going to die, some of us sooner than others. Do you think about it a lot? Do you think a lot of your actions in life are made because death is unavoidable?

Not death per say, but existence in general now and after now.

Reactions: TinyBubbles
I do think about death sometimes, but I used to think about it much more when I was deeply depressed and suicidal. It's natural and we are all going to die someday. I don't know am I more afraid of living or dying... For example, I never could do extreme sports because of fear of death.

Reactions: j654dgj7
Not really, but after i experienced the loss of a close one i've started to obsess a little bit about it for a while... but i came to terms with the pain that comes when you lose someone important. As for my own death, well, no. that's probably because i'm young though.

I think about death all the time. It is in the air I breathe. It is not death itself that I think about most, but the effects and stages leading up to it, such as aging, decay, interpersonal loss.

We're all going to die, some of us sooner than others. Do you think about it a lot? Do you think a lot of your actions in life are made because death is unavoidable?

I do but then what's a lot?

I read a lot of existentialist books and a lot of philosophy, of which it is a big enough part, at least of Epicurious, who I like and dont think deserved as much of a bad rap as Epictus and other stoics gave him.

I've also been a fan of Marxist and other varieties of humanism, broadly speaking optimistic humanists, for some time too and they deal with the topic too, at least as an unavoidable and inevitable limit to human experience.

There's good quotes from Game of Thrones, unsurprisingly since no one seems to die of natural causes in Westeros, like one of the Wildlings saying that everyone dies but not everyone lives, I cant remember the author now but I did read a book called Fear of Living once which suggested that a lot of the fear of dying was actually a shadow side of fears about the sort of life that was being lived, or not lived as the case may be, you know like a life well lived is long and felt to be so.

I think about God more though, life, death and eternity make sense in that context to me.

Yes.

But not me dying...the death I've experienced.

Reliving the events that happened before the death, during the death, and after the death.

Seeing someone die- I think a lot about that.

ive thought about death a lot in all different ways. especially in my early 20s when i was very depressed. at that time i saw death as being seductive. but then afterwards i just came to peace with it. i accept my existence as finite. i think this gives me comfort because i find existence in some ways exhausting but also it inspires me to try to find the strength to achieve things that i want to achieve, because time is always running out. the only thing that distresses me about death is that my mother wont live forever. its going to be really hard for me when she isnt around for me anymore. i think that having thought a lot about death means that i try to appreciate life as much as i can and to make the most of it, but it kind of makes it difficult too, because sometimes i get anxious that there just isnt enough time, and that thought can be a bit paralyzing at times.

I don't. But maybe when I get 'elderly'.

Hahahahaha.... :)

I am 'elderly'....and yes...I think about Death.

I find myself in a very strange place in my long life....for I am probably falling in love with a man who has been sent home to die of stage 4 cancer with projections of maybe one year left to live.

He came by to see me at work yesterday and we sat outside on the sidewalk like two teenagers and giggled and talked. [shrug] I can't help it.... he's a remarkable man. [sparkles]

I used to. A lot.

It was sometimes morbid, sometimes scary, sometimes pleading...always confused.

But, something changed. Now, I see this life as a part of a bigger whole so I am most concerned about death coming before I have reached my potential.
I also feel that this is unlikely unless I have given up on a deep level and so I am a little worried about that happening but quite confident that it won't, also.
Making bad decisions and subsequently leading a life the weaker and scardier parts of my being don't want to concerns me more now than death itself.

Only when I'm around it, which is probably more than the average person... being a nurse and all. Believe it or not, babies die on a regular basis. Some too young to live on their own outside the womb. Some are far enough along that other babies have survived at that same gestation, but for whatever reason, they didn't make it.

I've had adult patients come close to dying, usually it's serious enough to bring them to our Operating Room. Some mothers have to go to the ICU, they get there looking like death, then 3 days later are walking around on our unit like nothing happened. Pretty crazy.

My most recent experience with death was last night / early this morning. Our 13 yr. old golden retriever died. He was fine on friday, old, but totally fine--eating, drinking, running around, wanting treats. But Saturday he stopped all of that. Refused to eat or drink, threw up when my mom offered him a banana, couldn't walk. I knew he was on his way out, but it's still hard to fully except, you know? He died in peace, in his sleep. Never really in terrible pain (normally he's a big baby and tells you when he's in pain, so I'm pretty confident in this assumption). It happened exactly how you'd hope it would, peacefully. But it still hurts. :'''(

He's been a part of my life since middle school, so it all feels kind of weird... :'''''( </3

Anyways, yeah... *clears throat* Death is a recurring topic in my life. As an adult, the only funerals I've been to have been for babies. But I feel blessed to be a blessing to people when they're going through some of the most horrific moments of their lives. As a nurse, you can never make it all better. What you can do, though, is make the environment the family is mourning in as comfortable and safe as possible. Tending to whatever medical needs in a very delicate way, and reading the environment well enough to make appropriate decisions. Tricky balance.

I've lost babies on Christmas day, there have been both expected and unexpected deaths on my unit. I don't care what way you look at it, the death of a baby is one of the most tragic life events EVER. When I tell people that the first cry of their baby is one of the most beautiful sounds in the world, they only *truly get the weight behind my words* if they've gone through the loss of a baby in some way shape or form. Not that they need to get it (in that way)... but, it is something I feel like I get, to an extent. And in OB, you want a nurse that 'gets it' enough to help you during the whole process. You feel less alone that way, I think.

I have the pictures of two of the little angels that are waiting for us in heaven on my wall (photos from their memorial pamphlets), along with other things that have touched my heart. And right now, I'm listening to Ed Sheeran's, Give Me Love. Because I need it. Man, today sucks. It seems like.. when there's a death, all the other deaths/losses just jump back into your heart. You know? :'''( </3
I cant like your post because it would seem like I like the fact your dog died. But I can say I am sorry. The death of pets hits hard. You gave that dog a good life. Be happy in that.

Reactions: h097b3w86
I don't. But maybe when I get 'elderly'.

Yeah, I don't really think about it, but have been told when you get into 50s 60s, you think more about it (if I remember correctly, it was that or you do everything to NOT think about it).

I'm hoping that as long as I live my life true to myself, I won't think about, or dwell on death later.

I've been terrified lately of dying before I've achieved all the things I really want to do.

I'm 44. My mother had a heart attack when she was 52 and suffered for many years with different ailments until she died at 60. I don't think of dying as much as I think of trying to get some living in before I die. I also try to take care of myself so I don't end up like my mom. She smoked, didn't eat properly, never exercised, which is all the opposite of what I do so I think I'm doing pretty well for that.

There have been some times in the last few years when I thought I would be perfectly fine if I died at that very moment but most of the time I think more that I want a chance to experience certain things and live fully before I die.

I think I'm beginning to discover the meaning of life and its taken me too long to work it out.

I think I'm beginning to discover the meaning of life and its taken me too long to work it out.

You're doing very well if you've discovered the meaning of life at 34.

You're doing very well if you've discovered the meaning of life at 34.

I think its late in life, possibly, very possibly, too late but its good to know, better late than never.