[INFJ] - Do you tend to "come on too strong" in relationships? | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] Do you tend to "come on too strong" in relationships?

Hoodie

Community Member
May 11, 2016
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Err
So, right now I possibly screwed up in my brand new relationship with a guy I really really like... by coming on too strong. I'm talking to him about it right now. Or rather, waiting for him to reply- the thing says he's typing but that's been like that for the last 5 minutes. He's a bit of a slow typer. I'm hoping that he's not wording a dear john letter.

ANYWAY to distract myself I thought "hey, let's see what other INFJ experiences are!"

So. Do you come on too strong in your relationships despite your best efforts? Do you have any advice/words of encouragement for those that do? Please help-- I mean tell. Gah.

I used to when I was younger, but after some bad experiences with choosing the wrong partner for myself I've become very restrained and pragmatic (which is not to say that I don't still feel deeply). Someone has actually told me that I should try to be more outgoing. But I can't really help it, that just isn't me anymore.

Yeah, I worry about falling in love with the wrong person(s) too. Thankfully all the ones like that (what am I saying here?) before mostly ended up not liking me back. I've had a habit of coming on too strong with my crushes in the past, too, I think. Problem is I think this is the last person I can let myself do this to because he's pretty distant himself. I really don't want to screw it up with him. But I think just by making this thread somehow I've screwed it up. My head hurts.

He texted back finally and now we're talking about something COMPLETELY different which of course isn't what I'd like but oh well. Unfortunately if I tried to steer the convo back to me coming on too strong, that would just be me coming on too strong somemooooore. So I must resist the urge.

Reactions: Gaze
Yeah, I worry about falling in love with the wrong person(s) too. Thankfully all the ones like that (what am I saying here?) before mostly ended up not liking me back. I've had a habit of coming on too strong with my crushes in the past, too, I think. Problem is I think this is the last person I can let myself do this to because he's pretty distant himself. I really don't want to screw it up with him. But I think just by making this thread somehow I've screwed it up. My head hurts.

He texted back finally and now we're talking about something COMPLETELY different which of course isn't what I'd like but oh well. Unfortunately if I tried to steer the convo back to me coming on too strong, that would just be me coming on too strong somemooooore. So I must resist the urge.
I'm not an infj, but if I'm understanding your OP, you wanted to converse with him about how you tend to come on too strong or that you were coming on too strong with him? What were your intentions with talking about that?

Maybe he's just not comfortable with strong feelings, at least at this point. Maybe he needs to build up to being comfortable with that. Some people are slow burners. As a slow burner, we take a lot of time to warm up, but once it gets going, those feelings tend to last.

Maybe try to focus more on enjoying your time and experiences with him--living in the moment.

Thanks for the advice, @acd! I only wanted to talk about that because he told me I was coming on a bit strong, and it was freaking him out. For me, when someone has a problem/is bothered by how I'm acting, I want to fix it- ESPECIALLY if it's someone I really care about. And I'm starting to really care about him. So naturally I wanted to know what I could do to make him feel more comfortable, but you're right; he doesn't like talking about his feelings, and things like that. That's not entirely true, but close enough. It's not going too bad now. We're talking mostly like before. I was planning to give him space but he sorta started talking to me so I've been going along with it, letting him set the pace.

Reactions: jyrffw54 and acd
Oh yes. If I really like a guy I tend to come on too strong. I also have the opposite problem where I attract a lot of guys who like me and want to be with me but I act avoidant (because I am not attracted to them).
I think the trick is to chill out and focus on yourself. We tend to obsess about people who don't show as much interest in us; sometimes we do this because we sense that the person isn't the right match but many times it is just our anxiety talking. In my case though, out of the 5 guys I really liked and was involved with whom I obsessed over, I would say that 4/5 if not all 5 were not right for me (first one was impotent; the second was a narcissist; the third had behavioral problems; the fourth was a 40+ womanizer/avoidant). Of course I say this now in hindsight.

Reactions: jyrffw54
@Artemisia, thanks for your thoughts!

This guy definitely is interested in me, i mean he's said so himself. It's just I have a tendency I think to fall for people way faster than they fall for me, and when I'm having fantasies about marriage (this is mostly a ridiculous example to explain this >.> ), they're wondering if kissing me would be too soon.

I'm wondering what your guy's way of coming on too strong is? I'm still a little confused in what way I'm doing it. I think maybe by texting him pretty well every day (which I knew I was doing, that's the problem; I watch myself do these things, knowing it could be an issue), and I think the biggest thing was I was asking him if Id said something or done something wrong because he seemed to be avoiding me. I think I came across too... Psyco- or, anxious. I don't know how to explain it.

So I get really worried that I'm causing people to have issues with me or something, so I try to straighten out problems that might not even be there. And it can come across rather bleh. Then I also get mega in love with people I like/crushes. I'll need several people to gush to about my crush/guy. Like, I need one person dedicated to listen to me gush about his freckles, for Pete sake.

I try to keep my crazy to myself so I don't scare them off right away- until I know they can handle it. But anyway.

Whenever I successfully land a relationship, it is always because I came on too strong. I mean like way over the top too strong. IDK why it works.

I'm glad it's working for you, @the! That's pretty interesting.

Nope, what's that, @Artemisia?

Thanks for the advice, @acd! I only wanted to talk about that because he told me I was coming on a bit strong, and it was freaking him out. For me, when someone has a problem/is bothered by how I'm acting, I want to fix it- ESPECIALLY if it's someone I really care about. And I'm starting to really care about him. So naturally I wanted to know what I could do to make him feel more comfortable, but you're right; he doesn't like talking about his feelings, and things like that. That's not entirely true, but close enough. It's not going too bad now. We're talking mostly like before. I was planning to give him space but he sorta started talking to me so I've been going along with it, letting him set the pace.

When someone is excited to be with you and wants you, you won't have to work too hard for them to communicate. On the other hand, people don't work on our personal timetables. They operate on their own. He may be reluctant and cautious because of past experiences, and doesn't want to go hard too soon, and feel overwhelmed.

However, someone of the opposite energy level doesn't always pan out. I've been in a similar situation, and it sucks. It can be energy draining. While it's great that you both like each other, you shouldn't have to change yourself or suppress yourself too much to be with him. If you are always having to adjust to fit his personality, that wears on you after a while. Yes, nothing is wrong with giving him his space, but if he's not willing to reciprocate some of that energy you're putting out for him, and if he's not willing to step out of his comfort zone to meet you half way in expressing his interest (not just saying he's interested), it may not be the best type of person for you in the long run. He may be expecting you to make more effort than he is, making his life easier, which is not fair to you.

Yes, maybe sometimes we can be more intense than others, but you shouldn't have to play yourself down too much for the other person. If they really like you, they shouldn't expect you to diminish who you are just to please them. It's not a good idea to people please him, and change to fit someone you like so much. He may not appreciate the effort, and may expect you to always change to fit what he wants or feels. So, be wary of thinking you are responsible for accommodating his feelings about everything.

There is also something to be said about letting him come to you, and not expressing so much towards him. Let him learn to appreciate you by being the one to initiate, and take some responsibility for developing your mutual interest. Sit back a little, and let him pursue you. If you're doing all the work of pushing the relationship forward, it's going to feel one-sided, and you may not truly know if the feelings are reciprocated since you're the one initialing all the communication efforts. You don't want him to think that he doesn't have to do as much because he sees you are initiating most of the time including expressing feelings. But you don't want to express too intense feelings to soon either. It may be overwhelming and you may misunderstand what you're feeling. You may simply be experiencing limerence (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limerence). He may also feel he doesn't or shouldn't have to do much since you usually take the initiative in communicating.

So, think carefully about what you truly want. Remember, he has his own thoughts and feelings that may not match with yours. Also, there should be balance in actions both of you take to develop the relationship. Shouldn't be one-sided.

If you rush into it based on the intense feelings, you may have a situation where you experience a huge amount of passionate feeling initially, but then it burns out quickly for one or both of you. If you want something lasting, let it take its time to build. Even if you feel strongly, take it in steps. Gung ho may tire out a relationship quickly. Take it easy. No rush.

Thanks, @Gist!

I should clarify; it was that he's anxious about it. He's never had a girlfriend before, and he's used to being alone a lot. I don't think he was trying to be mean by saying I'm coming on too strong at all- he can be a brutally honest occasionally but he means well. Maybe I'm just defending him? I don't think so. Last night I was being a bit... stand off-ish towards him (can't think of a better way to describe it) only so that he could lead the conversing in a way that he was comfortable with. And he did- we chatted for awhile. Then I was falling asleep so I told him I should go to bed and I said goodnight blah blah blah. Then today I wasn't going to message him, but I felt like me saying goodnight might have come across a little cold- like I was upset with him or something... so I sent him a very one-sided message over snapchat... it was just like a picture of my messy room and me saying I was going to clean it today... XP But just so that he knew I wasn't mad at him but he didn't necessarily have to reply or anything. That was at 1pm, now it's 8:30pm. He hasn't messaged me/replied yet and I think that's okay. Just trying to give him some breathing room. I keep worrying that he's having second thoughts about the whole thing but I guess I can't do anything about that.

I'm going to look at that link you shared, too!

I would start to pull back. I do not want to worry if I'm texting someone too much. Ridiculous.

He said he was freaked out and now you feel like you can't ask him questions and you're anxious. I don't know. I have a weird feeling reading this thread. I don't know if this relationship is going to be very fun for you.

Reactions: Gaze and Jet
I would start to pull back. I do not want to worry if I'm texting someone too much. Ridiculous.

He said he was freaked out and now you feel like you can't ask him questions and you're anxious. I don't know. I have a weird feeling reading this thread. I don't know if this relationship is going to be very fun for you.
This.

Isn't the beginning of a relationship supposed to be the easy part? If you can't be yourself now then what happens when you can no longer contain yourself.

I guess that to some I might come on too strong. I'm forward, Im open, I don't hide my flaws, my time is too precious to waste on the game. I have made peace with the fact that I am "needy" in that I need to know how things are and where I/we stand or I will not be comfortable. That is just as okay as a person who needs space. You do not need to sacrifice your needs for someone else's especially this early in the game.

Whenever I successfully land a relationship, it is always because I came on too strong. I mean like way over the top too strong. IDK why it works.
In your case, that honestly would not surprise me lol

Reactions: the
Thanks, @Gist!

I should clarify; it was that he's anxious about it. He's never had a girlfriend before, and he's used to being alone a lot. I don't think he was trying to be mean by saying I'm coming on too strong at all- he can be a brutally honest occasionally but he means well. Maybe I'm just defending him? I don't think so. Last night I was being a bit... stand off-ish towards him (can't think of a better way to describe it) only so that he could lead the conversing in a way that he was comfortable with. And he did- we chatted for awhile. Then I was falling asleep so I told him I should go to bed and I said goodnight blah blah blah. Then today I wasn't going to message him, but I felt like me saying goodnight might have come across a little cold- like I was upset with him or something... so I sent him a very one-sided message over snapchat... it was just like a picture of my messy room and me saying I was going to clean it today... XP But just so that he knew I wasn't mad at him but he didn't necessarily have to reply or anything. That was at 1pm, now it's 8:30pm. He hasn't messaged me/replied yet and I think that's okay. Just trying to give him some breathing room. I keep worrying that he's having second thoughts about the whole thing but I guess I can't do anything about that.

I'm going to look at that link you shared, too!

I understand you want to respect his space, and he has every right to that. However, if he's not responding because he doesn't know how to communicate, that's something he needs to work out on his own. It's not healthy that his lack of communication makes you feel as if you must have done something to cause it. If something is bothering him, he should be able to share it with you without being brutally honest. He has to learn to communicate his feelings, and keep in mind your intentions as your relationship develops. If all he is doing is reacting to you, that's not likely to make you both feel secure in the long term.

It's not going to be comfortable for either of you if you feel that you're always on pins and needles around him, or always in danger of being too much for him. If you've been honest with him about how you feel, and shared that you don't want to overwhelm him, he should appreciate that. If you think your actions gave him the wrong impression, avoid initiating contact for a while, maybe that will let him sort his feelings out, and see if he initiated contact after a few days. However, if he's not making many attempts to communicate with you, and being avoidant, then maybe he's not being fully honest. You don't want to be in a relationship with someone who makes you feel like you're constantly second guessing yourself and your actions. Remember, you want to enjoy your relationship or dating, and not have most of your time spent questioning if something is wrong.

But he does the same for me when I'm anxious about things...? Everything has been so freak'n easy up till now. I feel so comfortable around him, it's crazy. Idk, now I'm going to worry that something's wrong with the relationship.

But he does the same for me when I'm anxious about things...? Everything has been so freak'n easy up till now. I feel so comfortable around him, it's crazy. Idk, now I'm going to worry that something's wrong with the relationship.
Just ask. Say are we okay, things have felt a little weird to me since blah blah blah...

Reactions: Gaze and jyrffw54
He hasn't texted you all day today? Have you heard from him at all?

Reactions: Gaze