Do you often feel guilty? | INFJ Forum

Do you often feel guilty?

AUM

The Romantic Scientist
Feb 8, 2009
MBTI
Enneagram
4w5
In Freudian terms it means your superego constantly trying to make you feel guilty about your decisions.

I'm going to get paid in a week of a job that I did a while back, and I was planning on buying a new laptop with that money. However, I was started feeling guilty that I should probably use that money in buying my brother his Wii that he has wanted for a long time. The thing is that I almost always feel guilty in pampering myself with stuff instead of giving it to others.

Do any of you have this tendency as well? And how do you overcome it?

Nope.

Unless my brother had a wii, and I broke it I won't feel guilty about buying a laptop.

I will feel guilty if I don't get a good deal on the laptop.
I will feel guilty if I already have a perfectly good laptop.
I will feel guilty if I dropped the old laptop 4 months after buying it and it broke and I had to buy a new one.

It should also be noted... I'm a pretty shameless person.

Yes! I try to predict it, and avoid it in advance. If I'm not winning too much, I won't be feeling guilty all the time.

In your situation however, I'd probably buy myself the laptop, assuming I need it a lot and it's not just something fordalulz.

Last edited:
Nope.

Unless my brother had a wii, and I broke it I won't feel guilty about buying a laptop.

I will feel guilty if I don't get a good deal on the laptop.
I will feel guilty if I already have a perfectly good laptop.
I will feel guilty if I dropped the old laptop 4 months after buying it and it broke and I had to buy a new one.

It should also be noted... I'm a pretty shameless person.

haha, well that would surely make things easier if I was you. :p

Yes! I try to predict it, and avoid it in advance. If I'm not winning too much, I won't be feeling guilty all the time.

In your situation however, I'd probably buy myself the laptop, assuming I need it a lot and it's not just something fordalulz.

I have a laptop already, but it's really old. However, it still does its function. So I'm always asking myself "Do I really need it?" and unfortunately my response is "no".

Well thank you, now I now what I should do lol

Reactions: enfp can be shy
Heh, yeah your bro can buy his own wii. If he's too young he has to wait for Christmas.
As for the laptop guilt, yeah I have the same, for clothes. I rarely buy new clothes, and I feel bad whenever I do, even though I have very few that are still wearable (I can't bring myself to throw them all out at once.)
What you could do is think about how much you need it/want it, vs how much you'll actually make use of it. I know that I can buy things that I end up rarely using, because I thought I needed it, but those clothes I need badly and I'll use them constantly. Also, you don't have to buy it now, just sit on the money for a bit, something else might come up. You'll resolve this feeling I'm sure.

Heh, yeah your bro can buy his own wii. If he's too young he has to wait for Christmas.
As for the laptop guilt, yeah I have the same, for clothes. I rarely buy new clothes, and I feel bad whenever I do, even though I have very few that are still wearable (I can't bring myself to throw them all out at once.)
What you could do is think about how much you need it/want it, vs how much you'll actually make use of it. I know that I can buy things that I end up rarely using, because I thought I needed it, but those clothes I need badly and I'll use them constantly. Also, you don't have to buy it now, just sit on the money for a bit, something else might come up. You'll resolve this feeling I'm sure.

Those are great suggestions Dove. I really think that I'm making a hasty decision since like you said, it's not something I really need. I'm really going to take that advice into consideration, I might need that money for something far more important. But I'm definitely getting my brother something, because I always feel that I never do.

Reactions: DoveAlexa
Unless I am behind in my work, or accidentally hurt a friend's feelings, no I do not feel guilty.

I defy the ENTP stereotype of being bad with money, by being a bit of a penny-pincher. I learned early on in life the value of a dollar, and almost every single "guilty" pleasure I've purchased from childhood onward was purchased with money I worked for and saved myself.
When I choose to spend money it is a conscious decision I do not feel the least amount of guilt for. It is my money, I worked for it, therefore I get to spend it on what I want, when I want as long as I have a certain amount for bills and saved up.

Unless I am behind in my work, or accidentally hurt a friend's feelings, no I do not feel guilty.

I defy the ENTP stereotype of being bad with money, by being a bit of a penny-pincher. I learned early on in life the value of a dollar, and almost every single "guilty" pleasure I've purchased from childhood onward was purchased with money I worked for and saved myself.
When I choose to spend money it is a conscious decision I do not feel the least amount of guilt for. It is my money, I worked for it, therefore I get to spend it on what I want, when I want as long as I have a certain amount for bills and saved up.

Good for you, I see the logic behind what you're saying and I really wish I could do the same as you.

I'm a messed up case and I should probably be a little bit more selfish with my money as well but those damn feelings always get on the way.

Reactions: Lumi Spitsbergen
I rarely feel guilty. The times that it happens are over situations that I really hurt someone. When I was about 10 years old I was home sick for the day when I looked out my back window and saw some guy in the back yard with what I thought was a gun. I called the police and they sent out a few squad cars. The officers showed up with their guns pulled (one had a shot-gun) Turns out it was my neighbor's grandson who was about 14 years old on vacation and he was using a toy gun.

I still feel bad about that for some reason.

Do any of you have this tendency as well? And how do you overcome it?

I spent a substantial portion of my life feeling guilty about choices, mistakes, failure to choose, etc.

I'm over it now.

Once I understood (not just with my head, but with my heart as well) that the guilt wasn't making anything better for anyone, I stopped. I'm not sure what advice would be useful, but I do think actions matter more than the guilt itself. Once you make a choice, accept it, and then keep moving forward.