Do you like structure or order? | INFJ Forum

Do you like structure or order?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy

In what areas do you like structure, and in what areas do you prefer limited or no order or structure?

I prefer a base state of consistency from which we can discuss and explore further possibilities. Consistent living, consistent schedule, etc. If we know what's to come--and when--we can find times to explore.

Those exploration opportunities can be anything. I'm fond of travel on a whim. Sex in strange places to appease my exhibitionist tendencies. Visit some new bookstore we've never been to. Watch a new film. The point is to take some time to break routine and see what else is possible.

Reactions: Gaze
I like creating order but I don't like having it imposed on me.

This is a REALLY good question. Basically, I like a subtle underlying structure, like a lattice the plant grows on. But within that structure, I want lots of flow and diversity and surprises. My preferences in art say it best: I definitely want balance and harmony and beauty, but symmetry is too boring. I got into trouble with this with my family, when I refused to trim the hedge of the family home -- I said, "Nature abhors a straight line. Bushes did not evolve to be the shape of prisms." To me the natural world has the ideal balance of natural laws blended with chaos.

In what areas do you like structure, and in what areas do you prefer limited or no order or structure?

i like structure but i want that structure to remain flexible, like a tall building able to sway with the wind.
i prefer to seek balance rather than order.
when balance is achieved order falls into place naturally. deliberate order is control.
i do not like control unless it's my control over my own life, and those things i am responsible for.

I like structure when I'm trying to learn something. (unless I'm very interested in subject) I'm not good very good at taking the initiative/learning about something while not in a structured environment. I also like structure when moving towards personal goals... structure that I make and have the ability to adjust when needed. I move away from structure when I have free time; as I like to participate in many different activities/hobbies very spur of the moment/spontaneously.

I like both.

My life with kids is very structured. I relish the opportunity for spontaneity, just to add flavor to an otherwise dull routine.

I like structured chaos. :) Getting into a routine for a day, good. Getting into same routine for next ten years, bad. But the chaos needs to have an end to it; a final goal. If it just continues endlessly, I'm likely to lose my patience with the situation...

I like structured chaos. :) Getting into a routine for a day, good. Getting into same routine for next ten years, bad. But the chaos needs to have an end to it; a final goal. If it just continues endlessly, I'm likely to lose my patience with the situation...
+1.

Also, orderly behavior. Not always orderly actions. Never orderly life.

I like structure with enough chaos to shake things up and yield new places to discover. Decay is inevitable without change. Some spice is nice.

In filing, and things like that, I like structure.

I prefer my routine to be unstructured though. Meaning with different activities throughout the day.

This is a REALLY good question. Basically, I like a subtle underlying structure, like a lattice the plant grows on. But within that structure, I want lots of flow and diversity and surprises. My preferences in art say it best: I definitely want balance and harmony and beauty, but symmetry is too boring.

exactly

I like the outside world to be structured and predictable, as long as I don't have follow that same structure but can flow through it freely :)

My life is messy and unpredictable

Reactions: Korg
My life is messy and unpredictable

Pretty much like my room, I prefer to have the important items placed where they would be retrieved with ease, and also kept out of reach, I have kids running around the house and they aren't bothered, or aware about the importance of certain possession, any loss, or damage, is irreplaceable, so structured order would be where I stand, still. I think. balance is key.

I like structure, but I need somebody else to provide it, so I can react off of it. For example, I told my ENFJ friend that she had to be in charge of our "agenda". She happily agreed.

I like external structure and order so that I know what I'm doing, how time I have, and how I can complete each aspect of a task or project. But I don't like structure as a dominating, controlling system. I like to know my limits but not be constrained or confined by them especially if it limits creativity.