Do you identify with your nationality? | INFJ Forum

Do you identify with your nationality?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
We're all from different parts of the world and so i'm curious, do you feel connected to your nationality or nation's identity? Or do you feel as if it doesn't quite fit you?

Which national or cultural aspects do you relate to and which ones seem at odds with who you are?

Reactions: WellNoWonder
I think I fit being an american well. I can't really see myself fitting in with another culture as well. Perhaps canada, but even then I am unsure as I have never been there.

America gets a bad rap. But depending on where you go, some areas are great. In the places that are great, I fit in perfectly, and I do identify with it.

Nope. I feel like I identify with the French more so. It's about working to live. Living to work is the American model and it scares me.

The arabics seem to put a lot of value in their family. They're always asking "how are you yeah and your mom she's good yeah and your dad and your brothers", often having big family meetings, etc. I'm not much like that. However I like soccer and I'm a terrorist.

I live in Quebec now, but idk what the nationality is about other than hating the rest of Canada and USA and eating poutine all day.

Reactions: z523x4gr98j
Wow Res...
You are sooooooooo RED now! I don't know if it's safe to answer you. LOL :lol:

I'm a mutt like most I know. BUT I am solid 25% Irish. I look Irish. I have the fighting spirit like the Irish. I am always sticking my nose into situations where the underdog is getting beat on.
My grandmother's parents both emigrated from Ireland. One was an accountant. The other was a teacher and flute player.
In the 6th grade I chose to play the flute because I idolized my geography teacher and she played one. Later in life I fell into accounting as a profession and stuck with it for a long time. Weird huh?
Also - I was born loving horses and for a long time had no idea where that came from. No one in the families on both sides cared 2 bits for horses. Then one day I was talking to my grandmother and found out my great, great Aunt Shannon and her husband raised horses in Ireland. So - I figure I incarnated with some of Aunt Shannon mixed in me.
I loved Celtic music, stories about the Druids, paganism, Ale, and naturally St Patrick's Day!

"Kiss Me I'm Irish".

Attachments

• a16ee44f9c5358751aa80b0cef9c32f4.gif
    a16ee44f9c5358751aa80b0cef9c32f4.gif
    20.4 KB · Views: 94
I definitely identify with being Jamaican. For me that means old-time values of dignity, integrity, hospitality; Out of Many, One People; a laid-back lifestyle, an appreciation for the land, looking out for my neighbour and the pride of the Black, Green and Gold.

I do not identify with the Red, Green and Gold and find it offensive that so many think it represents Jamaicans. Ganja's association with Jamaica is also offensive to me. Ganja in itself I have no problems with but the stereotypes that go with it I have no interest in. I do not identify with the criminal culture we've developed nor the materialism and growing brutishness.

Yes. I identify myself in this order: I; Family; Jamaican.

I definitely identify with being Jamaican. For me that means old-time values of dignity, integrity, hospitality; Out of Many, One People; a laid-back lifestyle, an appreciation for the land, looking out for my neighbour and the pride of the Black, Green and Gold.

I do not identify with the Red, Green and Gold and find it offensive that so many think it represents Jamaicans. Ganja's association with Jamaica is also offensive to me. Ganja in itself I have no problems with but the stereotypes that go with it I have no interest in. I do not identify with the criminal culture we've developed nor the materialism and growing brutishness.

Yes. I identify myself in this order: I; Family; Jamaican.

OH LORD!
this is so cool.
i always assumed you were British based on the location you put. but damn, wow.

I feel very American when I'm in Sweden.

I sometimes feel quite Swedish when I'm in the United States.

Fml.

@kiu , Interesting!

Thanks. I get that a lot. Could you explain why being Jamaican is so cool?

BECAUSE IT IS.

ok. i can't. it just sounds super cool. and honestly (based on watching documentaries/tv shows and meeting a few jamacians) you are a really laid-back people. i respect that.

Reactions: not sure
I strongly identify with being an Quinault Indian.

Hmm, no I don't identify with mine really. I do in some respects, but that's because many people will be the same.

I think I best identify with...Hmm...It's hard to choose really. Could anyone take a stab at where they think I belong? Haha. XD I want an easy life, things are too complicated and pointless here. :F Being stereotypical for my country is hard, there is just so much diversity.

Spain seems to fit me rather well at the moment xD
Seeing as Ive not been everywhere, I cant really say xD
But, from where Ive been to before, Spain definitely fits me well x3

Join me in France then. :m107:
I would, but I find French people rude.
If you go there and talk English they will look at you like you're stupid. They expect everyone to know fluent French.

We're all from different parts of the world and so i'm curious, do you feel connected to your nationality or nation's identity? Or do you feel as if it doesn't quite fit you?

Which national or cultural aspects do you relate to and which ones seem at odds with who you are?

Not strongly, no... I think America has huge potential, but I find myself horribly frustrated with how wasted and misdirected that potential is. I can't make myself feel at home in a culture that prioritizes celebrity and opiates over well-being, progress, etc. I can't understand a system that gouges the many for the sake of the extremely few, etc. Doesn't mean I dislike the culture, but that I occasionally just wanna either run for president and get assassinated trying to fix things or just disappear into the south western Andes and be a hermit.

Reactions: bamf