Do You Have Eclectic Interests? | INFJ Forum

Do You Have Eclectic Interests?

Scientia

A true lady
Aug 28, 2014
MBTI
INFJ
Do you have eclectic interests? What are some of them? Do you feel comfortable sharing your uncommon interests with others?

Last edited:
I've noticed the same thing. I often feel very "old school" in some of my tastes, and it annoys me to no end when someone assumes tastes are limited because of age or appearance of youth. Growing up, we had one radio station and one tv station so I listened to different types of songs, and watched different types of shows and films. I don't limit my interests by generation or decade. Although I may not have a taste for everyone, I love music and the arts, etc. Whatever sounds good or looks good determines my tastes. I may not be able to recite historical facts about life in other decades but if someone likes a song from previous decades or from various genres, not sure why anyone should have to justify it to anyone. On a related note, I wish I knew and heard more jazz early on.

Reactions: TJG
I often feel very "old school" in some of my tastes, and it annoys me to no end when someone assumes tastes are limited because of age or appearance of youth.

Exactly.

I know many people from every age group and can talk about almost any basic topic because there are so many things I like in music, movies, books, etc.

For example, I will listen to big band, Irish folk, opera, classical, 50's doo wop, 60's folk, 70's, 80's, 90's and pop like Katy Perry and then switch to jazz and techno. I had a conversation yesterday with an acquaintance who was horrified that I knew all of the songs from the musical Hair. I was mystified by her attitude. I feel that this wide base of interests and knowledge helps me to be more open minded and to connect with people on different levels and of different ages but maybe it just makes me weird?

Do you have eclectic interests? What are some of them? Do you feel comfortable sharing your uncommon interests with others?

I definitely do and I its linked in my mind to things like aspiring to be a polymath and autodidact, the self-taught, rennaisance man. Although that's just me flattering myself because I know in reality those are high concept and I'm talking about pop culture and sometimes even low culture but you know :p

I'd never be embarrassed about knowing too much or wanting to know more, I've had people do that to me and I dont like it, it comes in the form of jibes most of the time like you say something which sounds a little high minded or nerdy and you get "you're bound to be a lot of fun at parties" or something like that.

If I'm tired or not feeling well or something that can trigger of a lot of worthless thoughts like imagining, yeah, that what you've been talking about isnt interesting, that by extention you're not very interesting but would you really want to reduce yourself to their level or restrict yourself for a moments approval or something? Someone I know who's a student had another example of going for lunch and sitting by yourself and then thinking why am I by myself when the others are all sitting together but then snapping out of it and realising they didnt like going to class with most of them why would they want to spend their free time with them too.

I've always been into weird things. I love to run barefoot (or just walk around barefoot). I love to go to the shooting range. I've been into tarot, runes, and other sorts of divination for years now. I really loving learning about economics, specifically macroeconomics or risk management. I've always been obsessed with human anatomy and pathology. I've been gluten free for the past couple of years so I'm really into learning more about it and how it effects the immune system. I've been doing yoga for over 10 years so I'm into progressing in that... I really wanna try bikram. I've gotten into beekeeping recently because of my BF so I try to read up on how to beekeep and the history behind it. I think I'm pretty weird as they come, lol. I have a lot of interests I feel passionate about. It keeps me busy. I have no problems sharing either. I love to talk about everything I know and gather info from people.

Reactions: TJG
I read palms. I have been doing this for years. I have to know someone pretty well before I will read their palm because I don't hold back on what I see and it can freak people out.

That is awesome. Can you read them in photos too?

Puzzle cubes - I always have one within reach if not on my person.
Mahjong/riichi/maajan
Other stuff

[video=youtube;rQ2j_9FMmGU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ2j_9FMmGU[/video]
[video=youtube;JLq7u2dyA3k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLq7u2dyA3k[/video]
[video=youtube;Vxi7JRJrod4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxi7JRJrod4[/video]
[video=youtube;nlfn7mPpThM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlfn7mPpThM[/video]