Do you get lost or fear getting lost an awful lot? | INFJ Forum

Do you get lost or fear getting lost an awful lot?

Chessie

Community Member
Apr 5, 2010
MBTI
INfJ
I've got to confess, one of my huge fears in life is driving. It's a silly kind of thing but I just get an unhappy twinge after about six years of being on the road. I tend to leave the house early if for no other reason than I tend to get lost a LOT. It's bad really. I have a near perfect driving record and yet, I usually have only a loose understanding of where I am. My GPS is a godsend, really.

I want to know if other INFJ's experience this same thing.

Reactions: 5ufvdee369jcdd
Chazzy tends to get outright panicky when he even thinks about becoming lost. Having never driven I can't relate but I can certainly empathize. I get lost in Ikea and get a little lump in my throat trying to find my party again.
If he does get lost there is no talking and no moving until he knows where he is again. Afterwards requires many a hug and cookies to recover. He has a GPS too and it really is a godsend. I can't even convince of how driver know where they are or where they are going at night.

I actually am pretty good with directions and finding my way. I have a decent memory when driving. I can't remember street names (or anyone's name) for the life of me, but I remember landmarks, and once I've been somewhere once I can generally get there and back again without any wrong turns.

I pretty much go on auto-pilot when driving, and use it to relax and think. I've never been in a accident, I've never had a ticket, and the only time I was pulled over was when I was leaving a bar where I'd recently played a show in a college town and the officer asked me if I'd been drinking. Seeing as I was 16 I obviously hadn't.

My grandmother has a cottage a few hours away, and it's back roads all the way. Sometimes I like to take new routes on the way home just for the fun of it. I also love hoping in the car with no destination in mind.

No, I do not. I've got pretty good spatial orientation and once I've been somewhere once, I'm like a homing pigeon; I can find my way back.

No, I do not. I've got pretty good spatial orientation and once I've been somewhere once, I'm like a homing pigeon; I can find my way back.
If I am ever in a parallel universe fighting monsters in a fantasy setting, I am so bringing you along for the treks-through-the-wilderness and the dungeon crawls. You don't even need to do anything, just tell me which way I was and where I haven't been.

I don't get lost except in video games. :p And even then once I figure out how the maps work, I'm gold.

I prefer literal directions to land marks. I remember street numbers and names and the location of each relative to each other pretty easily as well so I haven't ever really gotten lost that often.

I didn't start driving until I was 35 and didn't pay any attention to where I was going or how to get there. Now, I am comfortable driving because I commute 40 miles to work and drive a lot.

I don't like being lost at all. I don't have a GPS but I will map out unfamiliar drives. I do like to "wander drive", find new ways, just turn down a road because... It helps me know the city I live in.

I live near a large metro area and despise driving in that traffic with a passion. I don't care how many neat stores there are I stay away. I got lost once and damn it pissed me off cause I drove around for over an hour even after asking for directions to get back on track. So yea, find it a bit traumatic to BE lost if I don't want to be lost.

I can do landmarks or street names to orientate myself but don't give me north, south, east or west because it makes me crazy. I generally tend to remember how to get somewhere if I have been there once before.

If I am ever in a parallel universe fighting monsters in a fantasy setting, I am so bringing you along for the treks-through-the-wilderness and the dungeon crawls. You don't even need to do anything, just tell me which way I was and where I haven't been.

I'm more of a rogue than a ranger, but okay, you've got a deal. :)

I'm more of a rogue than a ranger, but okay, you've got a deal. :)

can I be a priest, gotta have a healer.

yep getting lost freaks me out, disorients me and i almost hit some guy once when i was lost, id just gotten my liscense. well then this guy decides to tail me and ream me out and really i mean what can i tell him besides im sorry i didn't want to almost hit him. so now when im headed somewhere new i make sure i have directions on hand and good directions at that.

If I'm by myself, yes, I get really scared, and I hate city driving. I will get lost in the city about half of the time. I don't mind getting lost on highways at night for some reason.

I have very good navigational skills, too. It's uncanny sometimes...places I haven't been in decades or entirely new cities, no prob.

No.

(I'm suddenly remembering all of
these marketable skills I have).

I am super great at navigating.
I don't know if it's from running
random country/unmarked roads
for a good period of time but I
can always find my way. It's simple.
I don't even have to be on roads.
I can be out lost in the woods or
fields. You just have to have faith
and listen to yourself. You know
what you're doing.

I've lived in my town 5 years now and I still don't know any streets nearby. I am more of a landmarks person. I like having directions like "Turn right by the Best Buy near the Toyota dealership" or "Go like you're going to Target, but keep going straight instead."

When I am driving with someone and they are telling me where to go, they'll say stuff like "Turn left onto XYZ Street" and I'll say "Okay, what's that by?" What annoys me is when they respond "It runs into ABC Street." I again say, "That's by what?"

I can't drive, where I live I'm allowed to get a learners permit but my parents don't want people my age on the road and for good reason, so they are opposed to letting me get a license right now. However, I am fairly good at finding my way around. I have hiked through a forested mountain by myself, without a map or any actual knowledge of the area without getting lost (however I probably shouldn't have been doing that in the first place), and I often help my parents find their way around someplace if they are driving someplace they've never been. So I would say that I have a fairly good sense of direction.

I am not afraid of getting lost at all when driving, except when I am not prepared for it. What I mean by that is for instance if I am low on gas. I will become nervous and obsessively watch the gas indicator trying desperately to find a station when in all actuality I have plenty of gas left. I am fortunate to have a great sense of direction and welcome getting lost when driving.

I do have a fear of getting lost when I am supposed to be with others. Especially if I have depended on them in some way (i.e. a ride). I think I just worry too much. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a control thing with me.

Yeah, I hate it when I get sent on impromptu driving runs at work. I work in a different county than I live in. Whenever I have to pick a kid up from a home pass or something it always seems to take 10x longer than it takes other drivers.

A while ago I had to drop some people off in different parts of LA. My supervisor simply had me drive over, pick up the people, and he was like "Ok, bring them home" without any mention of addresses or directions, and it was dark out. My GPS died on me and the people I had to drop off didn't know how to get home from where we were. It took about a half-hour of tension-packed fidgeting before I finally was able to subscribe to my cell phone carrier's GPS service and sheepishly high-tail it to their homes.

On Halloween I had to pick a couple of kids up. One of them lived in West Hollywood, and I have no idea how to get around in LA county. Well, thanks to my GPS I made it down there amidst terrible traffic, only to find that the apartment number they had given me did not exist in the building I went to. Then the contact number for the parent didn't work because someone mistakenly took down the parent's work phone number instead of the home phone. It eventually got sorted out, but it pushes my stress level through the roof because theoretically it's such a simple concept. Go to address, pick up kid, go back to work site. It never seems to work out that simply.

So yeah, I am awesome at getting lost and being at the mercy of technology.