Do you follow the Golden Rule? | INFJ Forum

Do you follow the Golden Rule?

knight in battle

Feb 28, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
How?

Do you determine how another person would want to be treated?
or do you treat other people in the way you yourself would like to be treated?

Hells yes.

I could be better at being aware of when I might affect another person and how. This is a weak spot for me. But when I am aware that I am taking action that has a clear impact on another person, I'm pretty committed to acting with integrity, respect, and honour. If it's disrespectful, I probably or most likely will not do it unless it is beyond my ability to do better.

I think we all deserve to be treated well. The world would be a much better place if we were kind to one another. I hold myself to this standard. If I want others to act with respect and with kindness, then I must also include myself as being a part of this group and hold myself to this expectation. I realize that I am an example whether I wish to be or not. In addition, it is only ethically and logically sensible to hold myself to the same standards to which I hold others.

Second, regardless of how the people around me behave, I choose to conduct myself with respect and honour because as much as I affect the world around me, who I am is also my business and mine alone. My growth is my own business. The decision to grow as a human being rests with me. My behaviour can therefore be independent of others' behaviours.

Third, treating others well from a place of love and compassion is one of the ways through which to meet my aims of remaining connected with my emotions and processing them to avoid a backlog of emotional energy. Hating people, treating people like crap, remaining self-centred is isolating and difficult to maintain. It is not nourishing; it takes away from me and requires me to harden internally. This does not feel good, and this does not contribute positively to my life. The outcomes and experiences of being loving are more reasonable and desired by me.

I haven't yet differentiated the extent to which I was taught to behave this way versus whether this stems in large part from my own personality that has persisted in spite of social conditioning. It's something I contemplate.

Last edited:
Reactions: barbad0s
He who has the gold, makes the rules.

Reactions: Kgal
Basically I agree with @oceanbreeze .

It's a bit different in practice though. It would be nice if strangers would always come up to me and hand me $50 bills. I'm sure people would want me to treat them this way too, but I don't usually intend on doing that for others. (then again, if they gave it back to me then it would even out ;) )

I usually try to be nice and generous to people. I try to go beyond how I would expect to be treated in return. My hope is that people will start to follow my example more and give in to their urges to be nice to others.

Idk what I'm getting at... just confusing myself now. I don't know how to know what other people want. All I know is how I would probably appreciate being treated, and I can maybe infer individual preferences based on clues that I pick up from each individual, and based on how they treat others when they seem to be trying to be "nice" (because I assume that would give clues to how they themselves would like to be treated).

Yes, I treat the way I want to be treated. I don't expect anything from anyone, but I cannot recall a time when someone was rude to me IRL. Pretty much the people I surround myself with are the same.

Do you determine how another person would want to be treated?
or do you treat other people in the way you yourself would like to be treated?

The second. I treat them like I want to be treated most of the times unless I strongly dislike them.
I can't say that everyone was super nice to me, it mostly includes complete strangers. How do I treat them? I don't talk to them and keep a straight face OR I stay very calm and polite, despite being pissed, because I know that it can drive people crazy even more than saying "f you". I guess, it depends.

Although I keep in mind how I'd like to be treated, I generally try to treat people how they would like to be treated. I try to think about any sensitivities they might have before I say something. This is probably why I take longer to get to know someone, I'd like to get to know them a bit first and see how they react. I change my tone often depending on who I'm talking to. I often help people where I can so I don't hurt their feelings, or at least try to brighten them up.

Although I keep in mind how I'd like to be treated, I generally try to treat people how they would like to be treated.

What if they want you to treat them in a way that make you feel uncomfortable? I know it's an extreme case but it happens. I assume you wouldn't do it(?)

What if they want you to treat them in a way that make you feel uncomfortable? I know it's an extreme case but it happens. I assume you wouldn't do it(?)

Correct. If they are being blatantly disrespectful to my needs as well, then I pull back. I'll treat people as they would like to be treated, but I expect they'll do the same to others and me. I don't like seeing people being rude to other people either.

I will treat people how they want to be treated assuming it doesn't require any effort or generosity on my part.

Reactions: knight in battle
No. I want to be treated like a king. I treat others mostly as ignorant strangers.

Usually, yes. With strangers, I keep a cool distance and want them to do the same. With friends I'll listen to their problems, help them when they're desperate and expect them to act in similar manner. With people I care a great deal about, I'll go the extra mile because I know they'd do the same.

There are times when people are exceptionally generous or spiteful to me but I might not act in the same way.

Respect and be respected.

Be shitty and get shat on.

Perhaps I should amend to: He who has the gold rules and is able to get their teeth fixed. (Sorry bout the teeth fixing reference [MENTION=4855]JGirl[/MENTION])

i'm okay with it lol
my teeth look fabulous!

Reactions: Kgal