Do you find this video funny or sad?or Both? | INFJ Forum

Do you find this video funny or sad?or Both?

AUM

The Romantic Scientist
Feb 8, 2009
MBTI
Enneagram
4w5
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYw8HjN21bk&feature=feedlik"]YouTube - ‪Tune for Two (2011)‬‏[/ame]

I'm currently researching about dark humor, or more specifically Gallow's humor which is a type of comedy in which a morbid event is usually mixed with a comic element that makes the event funny in despite that it also makes the audience uncomfortable by the depiction of death or other taboos.

Here's the wikipedia definition of it:

Gallows humor (Galgenhumor in German), is the type of humor that still manages to be funny in the face of, and in response to, a perfectly hopeless situation.[1] It arises from stressful, traumatic, or life-threatening situations; often in circumstances such that death is perceived as impending and unavoidable.
Gallows humor is a kind of humor which developed in middle Europe, from where it was imported to the United States as part of Jewish humour.[1] Gallows humor is made by the person affected by the dramatic situation,[2] an aspect that is missing in the later derivative called "black comedy....Sigmund Freud in his 1927 essay Humour (Der Humor) puts forth the following theory of the gallows humor: "The ego refuses to be distressed by the provocations of reality, to let itself be compelled to suffer. It insists that it cannot be affected by the traumas of the external world; it shows, in fact, that such traumas are no more than occasions for it to gain pleasure". Some other sociologists elaborated this concept further. At the same time, Paul Lewis warns that this "liberating" aspect of gallows jokes depends on the context of the joke: whether the joke is being told by the threatened person themselves or by someone else.[3]
Gallows humor as the social effect of strengthening the morale of the oppressed and undermines the morale of the oppressors.[4][5] According to Wylie Sypher, "to be able to laugh at evil and error means we have surmonted them."[6]
Gallows humor is a kind of humor which developed in middle Europe, from where it was imported to the United States as part of Jewish humour.[1] It is rendered with the German expression Galgenhumor. The concept of gallows humor is comparable to the French expression rire jaune,[7][8][9] which has also a Germanic equivalent in the Belgian Dutch expression groen lachen.[10][11][12][13]
Italian comedian Daniele Luttazzi discussed gallows humor focusing on the particular type of laughter that it arouses (risata verde or groen lachen), and said that grotesque satire, as opposed to ironic satire, is the one that most often arouses this kind of laughter.[14][15][16] In the Weimar era Kabaretts, this genre was particularly common, and according to Luttazzi Karl Valentin and Karl Kraus were the major masters of it.[16]

Any other discussion about this topic is welcome.

I find it humorous in that it reveals the senselessness and brutality of reality. Perhaps given other circumstances they could be sitting around a fire drinking coffee and talking about life, maybe they would actually get along and be chums. Nonetheless it seems that due to powers outside themselves (or inner compulsion that has little to do with the facts) they are forced to play out this cosmic humor/tragedy. Depending on when and how people meet, they could find themselves as great friends, mortal enemies, or in this case- pawns in game that is bigger than themselves.
I laughed all the way through Inglourious Basterds...most of the dark humor aspects. Upon finishing the movie I realized that I fell prey to what Tarrantino was trying to convey: the circle of violence continues when one finds moral certitude in his or her position and thereby condones what he or she condemned in others.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
I find it sad, Period.
Even though I began to smile half way through the video, that smile was completely gone by the end of it.

I found it extremely humorous and laughed out loud. The definition of gallows humor states that it is done by the person affected by the trauma as a way to show that what is transpiring hasn't robbed them of their ability to move beyond such events and remain unaffected. The man is choosing the way he wishes to die--rather than giving the bastard the satisfaction of remembering him on his knees crying before his own grave. Natives in general have a fatalistic approach to life and death. In a certain way, the concept of "today is a good day to die" is embodied in this clip. The concept recognizes that there is little control in the events of one's death and that one must accept the eventuality of that death--better to die on your own terms than someone else's. Edit: Or as much on your own terms as the situation allows.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gerard91
I find it humorous, but it's over done. The story should have ended with a shot immediately after the victim started singing. When the criminal responds, it becomes slapstick or so.

And it's not German. It's probably Scandinavian.

Neither. I find it twisted and sickening. But again, I was never a fan of dark humor.

Overall - sad. I responded to each part accordingly: first worried and sad, then for a while I had a huge smile (didn't laugh, but rather was touched to tears by the situation), and finally was sad again.

Some very tough situations manage to make me happy, again not to make me laugh, but that sentimental kind of... love? Empathy? Like Monty Python's "Always look on the bright side of life"; it does manage to create a good feeling. But laughing? Certainly not. I need a purely light situation to laugh.

After re-watching this, it's hilarious and heart wrenching at the same time. Once again I couldn't help but laugh, but this time I teared up while I was laughing. On one level it's hilarious because it's so absurd; on another level you realize that he's lost all hope, but instead of despairing he reverts back to a childlike state of mind, focusing on whatever will make him feel carefree in that moment, in an attempt to forget his fear.

Interesting take.
To me he is trying to invoke a sense of empathy into his kidnapper. He begins to wonder if it is actually working ..... and just when he thinks that it may have done the trick, the kidnapper pulls the trigger.

BOR-ing!