Do you feel more or less powerful/influential than others think you are? | INFJ Forum

Do you feel more or less powerful/influential than others think you are?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy

why or why not?

powerful/influential in what way?

Anita I love your threads, I think I have responded to every one of them this week. April I love yours too but haven't seen any in awhile : )

I think power is the authority to influence, and I certainly don't have that.

The ability to influence...hmm. I don't think I usually go out of my way to unless its for a good cause, and that's not as often as it should be. But I can influence moods, good or bad, with those around me at home or work (At least with the people who have been around me long enough). I really hate that cause if I'm po'd, everyone can see it. Then I feel guilty and have to apologize once I've chilled out.

Reactions: Gaze
In whatever way you are powerful or influential . . .

..what? that doesn't make it any easier to answer :/

ok let's see: physically, i'm not about to win any boxing matches, let's just say that lol.

in terms of verbally affecting the desires of others (ie. political influence): more influential than i use to my advantage. largely, i don't have much preference about which way to go, so i let others decide. others i feel perceive me to be less influential than i am, particularly males.

I feel less powerful from an influential standpoint. I think people overestimate my influential capacity.

I seem to intimidate people until they know me, especially if I'm not in a social mood and have something to say. The combination of my stature, my voice, and my demeanor really captures people when I've already got something planned out. The last time I gave a presentation, people seemed eager to 'challenge' me with questions. I overstated my case a bit, mostly unintentionally, so I think most people were surprised when I gave them ground on their challenges.

But, once people get to know me, the opposite happens. I actually had to chide my friend tonight for asking women to dance with me. I mean, seriously, I'm not a child. I'm just not interested.

Wait, I just realized something. I may not have a difference between my social and private persona, but I do have a difference between those and my 'public' persona. When business happens, I give off a completely different vibe, which attracts all the wrong people for my private life. Where's that other thread...

why or why not?

When an important (to my inner spirit) need arises, I feel my inner spirit meets others' expectations in certain circles. However, I do not indulge those people with details unless asked specifically, as they do not feel a need why I feel as such or where my feelings come from much anymore due to past experiences. Those feelings may be more powerful or influencial than I am, though. I sometimes feel like a messenger of sorts for some reason. I claim to be humble and open rather than being strong or influencial. I speak of specific situations I would rather not get into. Our words when serious about serious things are often taken more seriously than we think.

In most circles, I feel less powerful and influencial due to my not being known well enough or understood. Why?
I would guess that to be my humility and quite possibly reality.

edit to say it a wee bit differently

I feel words from my inner spirit to be taken quite seriously most of the time in specific inner circles possibly due to past experiences. The results when not taken so are sometimes quite costly, at least to my inner spirit. The ensuing results cause me a bit of grief when the costs (not necessarily financial costs) become more than they could have been.

In most situations I feel they are not taken as seriously as I would wish, possibly due to not being known well enough from past experiences. Why? I would guess my humility and quite possibly reality to be most of the reasons, but less people seem to see eye to eye with reality and wish to subject their positions to extreme measures sometimes. I can understand this so take it as best as I can.

Maybe they both say the same thing. Oh, well.

Last edited:
I do have presence that much I know. Whether this presence is powerful/influential hardly matters. I've know that deep down I am who I am. And while my shine has been dimmed over the years it is perhaps in this moment in time that I start to become more than less and start being. Its when you come into your own and suddenly realise perhaps the negatives were leading up to this moment where your whole point of reference shifts, and in doing so a your being reasserts itself anew. As it was meant to in the best possible way. I've always wondered how come my presence has been dampened so especially when I look like someone of things to come. People can quite literally see and yet after awhile that changes to one of huh, I saw something there, a glimmer of something just for a second before it went away.

In that respect I am but a humble person learning to experience life once more. Now feeling powerful and influential are interesting terms. You can feel that way with enough self belief and self respect. To feel that your own path is entirely within your own making and choosing, it is but a matter of time when, where and how you choose to express your radiance. For the energy is such that wherever, whoever we are, we do indeed follow a certain shift in our focus that creates the experiences that are meant to shape us towards the kind of esteemed influence we aspire towards.

As much as this can be attuned towards energy manifestations of ill design. For feeling powerful means you are feeling invulnerable to the agents of time corrosive, and that is hardly a good way to be when manifested as negative energy. Feeling powerful in your self belief that you matter as beings of existence then is a more powerful experience that helps shape the kind of confidence that can then resonate and create positive attributes more often.

And so I say less, hardly a ripple. So much so I've been told it looks like lights out inside of me though of late this has changed which is very nice. And yes in some ways I do have presence and influence just like any other. As to being powerful and knowing myself to achieve what I want out of life that is yet to come. I hope. I could be wrong and I might stay dimmed a whole life time, who knows with these things. Events unfold as they are meant to, we are able to experience those influences and energies that most create the vibrational shift in our consciousness. Whether we see it or not. And then we do indeed follow certain streams of consciousness more than others in our undertakings. That's hardly new I suppose. Even so there is something odd with the conversion and this does confuse me ever so much I have to say. haha but its just my musing I suppose.