Do you feel like an impostor? | INFJ Forum

Do you feel like an impostor?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
9 Things People With Impostor Syndrome Do
http://www.forbes.com/sites/amymori...eople-with-impostor-syndrome-do/#5b78cea2928a

Amy Morin ,

CONTRIBUTOR

I write about the psychological aspects of business.

Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.

While impostor syndrome isn’t an official diagnosis, most mental health professionals have likely treated someone with it one time or another. In fact, many mental health professionals likely have first-hand experience with impostor syndrome.

Some studies estimate that as many as 70% of the population experiences impostor syndrome at one time or another. That means the vast majority of people walk around feeling like they aren’t good enough to be doing their jobs.

People with impostor syndrome experience specific thoughts and habits that reinforce the belief that they’re not good enough. Here are nine things people with impostor syndrome do:

1. They think their colleagues and supervisors overestimate them.

Studies consistently show people with impostor syndrome worry they won’t be able to meet other people’s expectations. People who feel like impostors likely exaggerate how much is expected from them and underestimate their ability to perform. They think things like, “My boss has no idea I’m not qualified to do that project.”

2. They create a perpetuating cycle of self-doubt.

Although achievement helps most people feel better about themselves, success leads to increased self-doubt in people with impostor syndrome. With each new accomplishment, their fear of being ‘found out’ actually increases. New levels of achievement cause them to feel as though they’re going to have put in more effort to keep up the ‘charade.’

5 Things You Shouldn't Brag About Because You'll Make Yourself Look Worse, Not...

7 Things Mentally Strong Leaders Know

5 Signs You're Giving Negative People Too Much Power In Your Life

There Is A Clear Line Between Oversharing And Being Authentic -- Here's How...

3. They sabotage themselves.

People with impostor syndrome have an immense fear of failure. But, at the same time, they’re terrified of success. They want to prove their worth but they worry they don’t deserve high levels of success. Studies have found this constant internal struggle leads to self-handicapping, which prevents them from reaching their full potential.

4. They remain dissatisfied with their jobs.

People with impostor syndrome don’t gain satisfaction from their work. Yet, they aren’t likely to strive for upward mobility. Instead, researchers have found they remain where they are because they don’t believe they can do any better.

5. They avoid asking for higher salaries.

People with impostor syndrome aren’t likely to ask for a raise. Since they don’t see themselves as competent, they don’t think they’re worth more money. They continuously minimize their contributions.

6. They work really hard.

In an effort to relieve their anxiety over their inadequacies, people with impostor syndrome tend to work really hard. They set high standards for themselves and try their best to reach them. But, no matter how much validation they receive for their performance, they never feel competent.

7. They decline opportunities outside their role.

People with impostor syndrome put all their effort into performing well within their roles. An individual with impostor syndrome would likely decline an invitation to join the party planning committee or an opportunity to show a new employee around the office. Studies show they view those extra duties as distractions that could derail them from getting their work done well.

8. They refuse to celebrate their successes.

Studies show success leads to increased anxiety for people with impostor syndrome. They fear they won’t be able to replicate their results again as they think any achievement must be due to good luck. Despite honors, awards, promotions, or special recognition, they are never able to fully internalize their success.

9. They remain stagnant in their careers.

People with impostor syndrome doubt their ability to get hired by other companies. Researchers suspect this is why they are less likely to explore the career market. They don’t recognize what skills they have and how other organizations may value their experience.

Getting Help for Impostor Syndrome

If you experience impostor syndrome, there are several things you can do to start feeling more competent. Getting a mentor—and mentoring someone else—can be a start. Using your skills in another way, such as by teaching a class or starting a blog, can remind you of the knowledge and skills you possess.

If your fear of being a fraud is debilitating, don’t hesitate to seek professional treatment. A mental health professional can help you identify strategies that can help you start seeing yourself in the same light that others see you.

Amy Morin is a psychotherapist and the author of the bestselling book 13 Things Mentally Strong People Don’t Do.

I think the imposter syndrome is really common in people with low self esteem. Possibly also with people who will feel some degree of the effects of being marginalised already, e.g. anyone who isn't a white, middle/upper class 'successful' male.

Reactions: Free and CosmicINFJ
I have mentioned this before but I have a raging case of imposter syndrome. It is very common among women in a professional fields, and ENTJ women in particular.

Friends tell me I have Imposter Syndrome.

(- Wiki: A term coined by psychologists Dr. Pauline R. Clance and Suzanne A. Imes referring to high-achieving individuals marked by an inability to internalize their accomplishments and a persistent fear of being exposed as a "fraud".)

I argue that it may be the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Friends tell me I have Imposter Syndrome.

(- Wiki: A term coined by psychologists Dr. Pauline R. Clance and Suzanne A. Imes referring to high-achieving individuals marked by an inability to internalize their accomplishments and a persistent fear of being exposed as a "fraud".)

I argue that it may be the Dunning-Kruger effect.
I think your right in your definition Asa, e.g. those who should feel least like imposters e.g. 'true' high achieving individuals.

Reactions: James, Free and Asa
I'm INFP so by default I am not, and may never, feel like an imposter.

In my career/craft, nope. I think that may be the one arena in life where I'm confident in my abilities. My personal life? Oh, heck yes. Hmm, just the fact that I splinter myself into different shards or aspects of my entire being: career me, wife me, mother me, friend me, never just me... maybe I am.

I have the opposite of imposter syndrome. It's where I think I am everyone's lord and savior but they are too stupid to see it in most cases. I should probably be president of Earth. My government agendas would be yuuuge. Really great. My greatness is rarely recognized or appreciated. It's quite unfortunate.

1. They think their colleagues and supervisors overestimate them.
I think they underestimate me
2. They create a perpetuating cycle of self-doubt.
I create a cycle of confidence
3. They sabotage themselves.
I work to avoid being sabotaged
4. They remain dissatisfied with their jobs.
I'm pretty chill everywhere
5. They avoid asking for higher salaries.
I've always asked at least once a year when in position to do so, sometimes more
6. They work really hard.
I could probably work harder, I should work on that
7. They decline opportunities outside their role.
No way, new shit is the best
8. They refuse to celebrate their successes.
If I don't, nobody else will
9. They remain stagnant in their careers.
Sometimes that's not my choice but I try to avoid stagnation

Last edited:
Having read through this it strikes me that it's very aligned to a particular view of success. ie that we ascend a career path, make more money, gain recognition etc. For me real success is to be happy, and to hopefully have made a positive difference in life, for yourself and others.

In the organization I worked in I had numerous interactions with those in more senior positions to me. They seemed mostly unhappy, highly stressed, and very anxious unable to trust colleagues etc. Highly competitive. This had really no attraction for me. Nor did getting "a big house" or more possessions really.

Financial security would have been nice, but I think there is a "sword of Damocles" aspect to all of that. It probably explained what I saw with those senior staff, the anxiety of "losing it all".

I think the only part that really connects to me, is when people would describe me as being "nice". That always troubled me, as I knew if we ever clashed, or they saw me clash with others they'd probably be shocked. One time on holiday in Italy with some friends, we were on a crowded train, some people got off, and some spaces to sit opened up.

I didn't shove anyone aside but I quickly got a seat. It was hot, and my back was really aching. What I remember (apart from some annoyed passengers who missed out) were the surprised expressions on my friends faces. It was a minor thing really, but I think it's the downside of being infj. People can be shocked to find we're just as human as any other type.

Yes, but then it's only to balance out my sense of self-importance and arrogance. If I didn't doubt my ability and competence, I'd probably turn into an insufferable narcissist.

Reactions: Gaze