Do you feel like a psychopath/sociopath sometimes? | INFJ Forum

Do you feel like a psychopath/sociopath sometimes?

Hoodie

Community Member
May 11, 2016
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Err
Sometimes I get this odd notion that I'm a sociopath or psychopath, or that I'm just super manipulative or something. But then I remember that that's almost impossible since hurting people kills me. And lately I've been thinking that maybe this comes from the fact that I'm literally keeping people happy so I can be happy- and that seems selfish when I'm in my own thoughts.

Anyone else feel similar sometimes?

Also, I hope this is in the right forum. I wasn't sure where to put it.

I score high on psychopathy tests. I don't think of myself as psychopathic or sociopathic. Emotionally I am very hands off so I think that is where it comes from.

Also, people tend to be very pattern driven so they are easy to manipulate. Not that I really abuse that but sometimes I do use a few tools to get an outcome that I want.

Reactions: TinyBubbles
Sometimes I get this odd notion that I'm a sociopath or psychopath, or that I'm just super manipulative or something. But then I remember that that's almost impossible since hurting people kills me. And lately I've been thinking that maybe this comes from the fact that I'm literally keeping people happy so I can be happy- and that seems selfish when I'm in my own thoughts.

Anyone else feel similar sometimes?

You can be manipulative and self-serving without being a sociopath/psychopath. It's not uncommon for manipulative/disingenuous behavior to come from a place of low self esteem. For example, a person may feel that they need to control other people's thoughts and behaviors because other people's opinions are perceived to be more valuable than the opinion of the person themselves. See: relationships and sociology.

As for whether I ever felt like a sociopath, yeah, I have had moments. Most notably when I haven't reacted the way other people around me have reacted to heart crushing or tragic events. Suddenly, a moment like that makes me immediately forget an entire lifetime of compassionate and helpful behavior and I don't stop to consider that maybe this is situation-specific. Upon reflection, however, I realize that this is a pattern with me. That when heightened emotions happen, it's actually normal for my psychology shut down until its safe for me to process the emotions because that's just how I've taught myself to deal with these kinds of scenarios. But in that moment? Yeah, my first instinct is to check if I've got everything all right upstairs.

In my experience from talking to people and my own brushes with it, I think it's rather human to do this. Sometimes you hear something--sociopaths are manipulative!-- and the next time you're manipulative, you think, holy crap, I'm a sociopath....just like most people think they have cancer when they look something up on WebMD.

But its good to do that, I think. It alerts you to things that you find incongruent with your idea of who you are or ways you can grow and heal yourself. Wenever you find some kind of behaviour worrisome, take the time to explore where to stems from and then do your best to correct it. These moments of worry can be valuable learning experiences.

I got into a minor conflict with a coworker yesterday. I stood up for myself against some derisive remarks. Then for the rest of the day I felt horrible, even though I didn't instigate or do anything wrong. When things like this happen I become terribly anxious and can't focus on anything except solving the problem.

I don't know if this qualifies as psychopathic behaviour, but it doesn't seem to be a social norm -- though I was raised primarily by my father and he was much like this.

People sometimes take me for some kind of novelty because I am a very kind person. Kindness makes me happy too, but I don't see it as a selfishness -- I see it as a virtue. I prize harmony in interactions. I am deeply supportive of people and this is very frequently taken advantage of -- that saddens and disappoints me. People see that I am seeking to be helpful to them and then they take it a step further and seek to make a doormat of me, try to manipulate and use, or even verbally abuse me because they think I will let them. Mistaking kindness for weakness -- story of my life. But I see right through them. When this happens I feel incredibly betrayed and I can become sharply indignant and will immediately put people in their place. I have never been able see why anyone would want do that to someone else, especially someone who has only good intentions. Even when I deconstruct their psyche and see the source for their actions. The thought of doing any harm to anyone, even slightly or unintentionally would destroy me. And I have never been able to see why others don't seek out harmony together. it just wrecks me.

[MENTION=14189]ImaginaryBloke[/MENTION] I scored a seven on the test below -- you got me worried lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Kgal
Yeah, I never think I'm one for long. And there's no way I could do something to hurt people, because it just hurts too much- and it's also morally wrong. But also sometimes think that if I wasn't so empathetic I could do some horrible things-- I mean that's kind of the definition of a psychopath... but I almost feel like I have all the capabilities to hurt people really easily, and without empathy or integrity I wouldn't be a fun person or something. But still, I think that's basically everyone. I don't know.

As for whether I ever felt like a sociopath, yeah, I have had moments. Most notably when I haven't reacted the way other people around me have reacted to heart crushing or tragic events. Suddenly, a moment like that makes me immediately forget an entire lifetime of compassionate and helpful behavior and I don't stop to consider that maybe this is situation-specific. Upon reflection, however, I realize that this is a pattern with me. That when heightened emotions happen, it's actually normal for my psychology shut down until its safe for me to process the emotions because that's just how I've taught myself to deal with these kinds of scenarios. But in that moment? Yeah, my first instinct is to check if I've got everything all right upstairs.

I do this too... if it's something terribly heartbreaking or tragic, I go numb until it really hits me and then it takes some time to process and respond accordingly. It's a coping mechanism when you are highly sensitive to the feelings of others. Combined with your own feelings, it's exponentially overwhelming. Not all people operate this way, and so I suppose it's natural for us to assume that we've got something wrong.

Yeah, the fact that I am intuitive, remember lots of shit about people and can appeal to them at an emotional level based on my intuition of their character, psychological needs and insecurities, makes me feel I have this potential. However, I have no desire to harm or take advantage of people, so while I might have the ability, I don't have the desire to be a sociopath.

Ask [MENTION=4598]hush[/MENTION] to change the forum in case of doubt. The Psychology forum is right otherwise.

There are already two threads where you can test for psychopathy. http://www.infjs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28281, http://www.infjs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28276

Tell us if you score high but doubt it. :m130:

You sound like a false positive. Console yourself unless you are a clinical psychopath. :mf:

[MENTION=14754]Hoodie[/MENTION]

Just let me know if you'd like me to make this move. :]

It fits in this subforum anyway, if you're pondering psychopathy/sociopathy in relationship to being an INFJ, for instance.

No. Sociopaths and psychopaths do not experience guilt or empathy.

The good news is you don't have to be either to be a complete jerk! I know from experience!

Last edited:
Reactions: Peppermint
Ridiculous isn't it.

I mean I don't feel like a psychopath or a sociopath, but the judge thought and still thinks otherwise.

I'm glad they've given Block C an internet allowance.

Reactions: PintoBean
I have had times where everyone around me was crying and I just felt numb but I have not thought I was sociopathic. I care too much and would never hurt anyone. Even now, I am going through a horrible breakup and all I want to do is get away from him, not hurt him even though he is trying to destroy me.

Yeah, I never think I'm one for long. And there's no way I could do something to hurt people, because it just hurts too much- and it's also morally wrong. But also sometimes think that if I wasn't so empathetic I could do some horrible things-- I mean that's kind of the definition of a psychopath... but I almost feel like I have all the capabilities to hurt people really easily, and without empathy or integrity I wouldn't be a fun person or something. But still, I think that's basically everyone. I don't know.

Okay... posting a serious note now, you allude to something very important. Most people, and society itself, likes to get all high and mighty in sitting in the moral high chair under the following belief: "I could never do that." This belief in one's inability to do something morally wrong and twisted leads to an 'us and them' mentality built on a personal moral sense of superiority. Now the things some people do, be they religious or non-religious, are disgusting, absolutely sick, and such actions are in no way justifiable or excusable. The perpetrators themselves however, even if there is no excuse for what they have done, one can usually understand how it is how they arrived at such a twisted act, or at such a state of being seemingly so twisted. This is possible through observing certain contributing factors that influenced them and perverted them - be it a genetic predisposition, coupled with a history of child abuse, exposure to certain traumatic or unhealthy content at a very young age, mental illness, drug use, brain washing from a group or peer etc. These aren't excuses for twisted behaviour, but partial explanations.

I do not believe in a hard-determinism, that external factors will 100% shape a person, since I believe, at least for a sane person who has reached the age of reason, the realm of human choice is always apparent on some level - except perhaps in extreme cases (i.e. hard core mind control or something). Either way, external factors certainly influence behaviour and can strongly incline one towards and can normalise sociopathic and outright immoral behaviour. With this in mind, it is only logical to conclude that the worst of evils could plausibly be committed by ones own-self, and it would be fantastical to put one's head in the sand on such a matter as being an outright impossibility. The foundation of a healthy self-awareness, and humility even, is the awareness you stated - an awareness of our capacity for evil. On this basis we can be set free from judging others, and thinking we are better than them, because who knows, we could have ended up like some of those twisted people if it weren't for X, Y and Z.

BUT what we must cling to along with such bold self-awareness, and what distinguishes one from doing outrageously evil things - I won't say sociopathic or a psychopathic since to be these things without acting evily wouldn't be wrong per say - is that 1) one is aware that certain things are wrong, and that 2) such things are therefore not a possibility to act upon, and that 3) despite being aware of one's capacity for evil, one is aware of one's capacity for good whilst intending and desiring anything but such blatantly 'unacceptable' and 'evil things'. Still, what distinguishes one from being an actual sociopath is that 1) one knows what is truly wrong and unacceptable, and 2) one feels a sense of moral responsibility and therefore guilt in either so doing, or even thinking of so doing - such a sense of moral responsibility and guilt lacks in those who are sociopaths (psychopaths falling under this umbrella).

Still, what distinguishes one from being an actual sociopath is that 1) one knows what is truly wrong and unacceptable, and 2) one feels a sense of moral responsibility and therefore guilt in either so doing, or even thinking of so doing - such a sense of moral responsibility and guilt lacks in those who are sociopaths (psychopaths falling under this umbrella).

As someone who was in a long-term relationship with someone who could be classified as a sociopath (and is proud of that fact), I wanted to clarify that they know the difference between right and wrong, they just don't care. They can choose to do the right thing or to treat people well and they know why and how to do it but they won't do it unless they feel they have something to gain from it. Sometimes they will do nice things but it will be to appear nice or because it's part of some sort of game or strategy. People are pawns to them. They will use them for their advantage or entertainment. If anything they do hurts people's feelings they really don't care. They can still overall be somewhat decent individuals if they decide to. They make great emergency personnel and emergency room doctors, because in situations where most of us would be overwhelmed because we feel empathy towards the people suffering, they stay very calm and level-headed because they don't have feelings like most of us do.

There's a lot of confusing information on sociopathy and narcissism on the internet. These two links have information that I personally find fairly accurate from my experience, although no two individuals are alike so they will not necessarily fit all parts of the description.

https://relationshipedia.me/2015/07...hs-11-key-similarities-differences/#more-1572

http://themindsjournal.com/6-signs-youre-arguing-with-a-psychopath/

On another note, if you actually are a sociopath I think that you are aware that you don't have feelings like 'normal' people do. If you have any moments where you feel guilt, remorse or feel bad for someone you are not a sociopath. I can be very stoic in overwhelmingly emotional situations but it is because I don't want to burden others with my feelings so I keep them to myself. Some people have thought that meant that I didn't have as strong of feelings as they did, but that couldn't be further from the truth, I just have more self-control.

Reactions: Night Owl
Good topic here. I'd like to slam some bacon on the table as well.

Like others have mentioned, I too appear stoic or totally disconnected for incredibly emotional events whether they be frightening, heartbreaking, or a crowd of people I'm standing in is going nuts with joy and ecstasy (not the drug) it seems I'm unaffected but these things. I used to wonder what was wrong with me, then I realized I do feel things in these situations, but for whatever reason my emotions don't manifest outwardly. In my mind, I am usually thinking about the right course of action, what exactly has triggered these people to act in such a way, and what I will do if called into action.

Emotions without self awareness leads to impulsive actions and potential pain for self or others. This is case with my kids' mother. She has borderline personality disorder. She knows right from wrong, but is emotionally immature and can't pinpoint the cause of the emotions so she often acts impulsively, and can be manipulative with her attitudes, sometimes with devastating results. She is not a sociopath though. She feels things, sometimes too much, she just does not have the tools to navigate her inner world successfully.

From my experience with a narcissist, he is incredibly anxious and worries about being judged negatively. As a result, he has taken manipulating the people around him so that he can feel like he is in control. He knows right from wrong, but his low self esteem and fear of being rejected by others supersedes his moral compass. He is not a sociopath though I believe he has more of a chance of being one than the one with borderline personality disorder. A narcissist can get so deep in their self created delusion that any sense of morality can get buried only to make an appearance when it will improve their position, not to benefit others.

The reason for all of that rambling is because recently, I felt that I could've turn a corner to the sociopathic darkness. I was going make a new thread about my experience and still may, but here is this tidbit.

The above mentioned narcissist manipulate me and my girlfriend (the borderline personality disorder) when we were having relationship problems. Anyway, the short story is she got drunk and he had sex with her while I wasn't around. That was 10 years ago and I just found out in November. After finding out, I slipped into darkness and planned a plan the end all plans. For months I thought about it and wondered if I was truly evil after all. All while manipulating him, being friendly as we always were. Anyway, I finally got him to come over to hang out and right before he left for home I punched him right in his nose, breaking it and spilling his blood on my kitchen floor. I did feel evil. My normal sense of morality did not exist for that period of time. I do not feel guilt for it though and would do it again if I saw him. Does that make me a sociopath? I sure as hell hope not. I don't believe so.

I think having negative or evil thoughts can be normal. Maybe even healthy. Most of us here experience stuff like that from time to time, but out over moral code prevents us from putting those ideas into action. The fact that you Hoodi, have feelings for people and couldn't hurt them means your not a sociopath even if making other people happy so you can be happy seems that way to you. Don't feel guilty because you're making people happy go feel good. Maybe it just means you're a giver. Give to be fulfilled. I say keep making people happy, that way everyone wins. Unless they start taking you for granted.

I was interrupted several times while writing this. I may have derailed myself many times and now forget the reason for my reply. I have to leave now so that's that. If this has nothing to do with the original topic. Oops. I'm hitting send away.

Reactions: Scientia
Good topic here. I'd like to slam some bacon on the table as well.

American.gif

Normal people feel darkness when they are in it, psychopaths don't. It's how we know it isn't right. Psychopaths don't feel what's right and wrong, but they learned the difference (not perfectly), and pretend to have these qualities. In fact, normal people are more likely to seem like psychopaths than the psychopaths (at first)

Reactions: acd
Yeah, the fact that I am intuitive, remember lots of shit about people and can appeal to them at an emotional level based on my intuition of their character, psychological needs and insecurities, makes me feel I have this potential. However, I have no desire to harm or take advantage of people, so while I might have the ability, I don't have the desire to be a sociopath.

I can totally relate. Sometimes I feel tempted to act like a sociopath (for example in order to seduce a girl) but I know it is inauthentic and I wouldn't be able to forgive myself. I do think everyone has some sociopathic tendencies and potential. If someone were to murder my mother for example, I could see myself entering into a very dark sociopathic mentality for the sake of vengeance. I have a lot of empathy for certain people, whereas there are people in the world who I feel do not deserve my sympathy. When I am being very analytical I can in the moment be unemotional and cold. I honestly think that if I were in a jail cell alone with Jerry Sandusky I could justify harming him due to his past behavior. In a zombie apocalypse scenario all of us could become sociopathic out of the necessity to survive and to protect people we care about. I know this is all gray area when it comes to sociopathy, but it can be a slippery slope. Where to you draw the line between a sociopath and a warrior? There is a lot of overlap between the two as well.

Okay [MENTION=4598]hush[/MENTION]! I was mostly just saying so because I wasn't sure if you all thought it was good here. If you're fine with it in this forum that's fine for me. c:

I like how this convo is going, it feels like what I do in my own mind a lot, only I don't have to do all that thinking... :p

Ridiculous isn't it.

I mean I don't feel like a psychopath or a sociopath, but the judge thought and still thinks otherwise.

I'm glad they've given Block C an internet allowance.

Haha! Yer in jail! Jerk! Glad you have internet. I had orange slippers to use as a toilet seat...