[INFJ] - Do you ever feel that nothing is really meaningful? | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] Do you ever feel that nothing is really meaningful?

HFrossard

Oct 16, 2018
MBTI
INFJ
Sometimes I just think about everything (jobs, hobbies, life, fun, philosophy, space and etc) and I find everything just senseless, like if nothing had meaning and our existence were empty.

Is it just me?

Sometimes I think that being too rational is a curse.

Sure, when I'm drunk (not kidding you).

People like us just have to do more in the world: skydiving, martial arts, achievement, etc.

So I am glad that I never got drunk. If I this feeling got worse, it would be devastating.

Not that I feel that way everytime, but once in a while.

Regarding doing more... I should try those things. I always said that I wanted to skydive, but never got the courage to do so. Have you done that?

Meaning is what you make of it. Rationality is what you break of it.
~Wyote 2018

Life, unfortunately, isn't all black and white. It can be cruel, insufferable, and merciless. But aside from all that, life can also bring one of the most amazing experiences; may it be love, traveling, eating a new dish, watching a new exciting movie, anything. It is very easy to be weighed down from all the stresses that life can bring, and we overlook the small things. However, as @Wyote mentioned, ultimately, perspective is what will bring you meaning to certain aspects of life.

The shirt you are wearing, it was handcrafted by a women who worked hard in a factory in either China, Thailand, Vietnam, or somewhere in the Asian region.

You have eyes to see the grand spectacle of life---the sun, birds, sky, people, plants, buildings, pets, etc---- hands to do simple but profoundly important tasks, such as writing, eating, buttoning your shirt or jeans. You can smell various scents, may it be oranges, the fresh pine that was naturally created by pine trees outside, gasoline, roses, vanilla, etc etc. Touch, you can touch when a person holds your hand, kisses your cheek, or you petting the soft fur of your beloved pet.

The small little things. I probably mentioned enjoying the small things quite a few times on this forum, but it's incredibly important. The moment you start being grateful on these certain minuscule aspects--- your views on life starts to change.

It really is all about perspective.

Last edited:
So I am glad that I never got drunk. If I this feeling got worse, it would be devastating.

Not that I feel that way everytime, but once in a while.

Regarding doing more... I should try those things. I always said that I wanted to skydive, but never got the courage to do so. Have you done that?
No, but I went bungee-jumping though. That was fun as hell.

"There is life outside your apartment and you're only gonna see it if you leave."

Seriously, there's really cool shit to do out there.

If you believe nothing has meaning, does it make sense to make meaning everything?

I echo the sentiments of the posters who are saying go out and do something outside your usual or your comfort zone just because it's outside your comfort zone. I think idealistic people sometimes run into this glitch where everything they're doing needs to be somehow connected or profound, when really the problem is that they're thinking too hard about the thing rather than experiencing the thing. And usually, when we get into this kind of rut, it's because we're not doing anything that challenges us or stretches our perspective.

At that stage, it's good to get out of our heads and get back in our bodies. I recommend getting laid.

(And I'm not being disparaging in that sentiment either. I mean it. Go get some).

Meaning is what you make of it. Rationality is what you break of it.
~Wyote 2018
Life, unfortunately, isn't all black and white. It can be cruel, insufferable, and merciless. But aside from all that, life can also bring one of the most amazing experiences; may it be love, traveling, eating a new dish, watching a new exciting movie, anything. It is very easy to be weighed down from all the stresses that life can bring, and we overlook the small things. However, as @Wyote mentioned, ultimately, perspective is what will bring you meaning to certain aspects of life.

The shirt you are wearing, it was handcrafted by a women who worked hard in a factory in either China, Thailand, Vietnam, or somewhere in the Asian region.

You have eyes to see the grand spectacle of life---the sun, birds, sky, people, plants, buildings, pets, etc---- hands to do simple but profoundly important tasks, such as writing, eating, buttoning your shirt or jeans. You can smell various scents, may it be oranges, the fresh pine that was naturally created by pine trees outside, gasoline, roses, vanilla, etc etc. Touch, you can touch when a person holds your hand, kisses your cheek, or you petting the soft fur of your beloved pet.

The small little things. I probably mentioned enjoying the small things quite a few times on this forum, but it's incredibly important. The moment you start being grateful on these certain minuscule aspects--- your views on life starts to change.

I am with you in all of these and I am mostly thankfull.
As a christian, I practice real thankfulness everytime I can.

On the other hand, what I tried to mean is that, sometimes, all seems like... what is it for?

Not that I get upsad or things like that. I simply don't see a point.

If you believe nothing has meaning, does it make sense to make meaning everything?

I echo the sentiments of the posters who are saying go out and do something outside your usual or your comfort zone just because it's outside your comfort zone. I think idealistic people sometimes run into this glitch where everything they're doing needs to be somehow connected or profound, when really the problem is that they're thinking too hard about the thing rather than experiencing the thing. And usually, when we get into this kind of rut, it's because we're not doing anything that challenges us or stretches our perspective.

At that stage, it's good to get out of our heads and get back in our bodies. I recommend getting laid.

(And I'm not being disparaging in that sentiment either. I mean it. Go get some).

About getting laid, I am married, so it is not an issue.

About "thinking too much", yes, that is really true.

While our other friend is into more radical things, what do you usually do to "strech-out"?

Beautifully said, Jenny.

@HFrossard It sounds to me as if you're on the brink of an existential crisis.

Right now, the void/abyss/nothingness is tugging at you gently, and you're ignoring it because you know to where it might lead.

These are minor symptoms you're experiencing.

So, practical advice. Either get out in the sun or start supplimenting with vitamin D. It may be incongrous to hear of a physiological cure to a spiritual crisis, but I assure you, these feelings will literally stop if you have enough Vitamin D (and no @sassafras, that ain't a euphemism, lol), allowing you to consider the actual spiritual problem without being freaked out by it.

Spiritually, you just need more purpose... Or rather, a refreshing purpose. It's time to develop those life stages.

About getting laid, I am married, so it is not an issue.

About "thinking too much", yes, that is really true.

While our other friend is into more radical things, what do you usually do to "strech-out"?

I do recommend experimenting with tantric sex, actually. And anything physical that gets your heart rate up and you back in your body. Runs, swims, biking up hill.

Personally, I just go poking around in my environment. I kind of do it for a living, so maybe it doesn't really count, but when I go for walks, I do deliberately take a side street I've never tried before, I look for new reading/writing spots, walk into interesting looking buildings, etc. I visit the animal shelter to play with the animals. Usually, I'll find something that stimulates a thought process I've never considered before. And I use this as inspiration for when I write -- which is another way I stretch my senses. It's fascinating when you can sit down and not know where the heck the story you're writing is going to take you. What's even more satisfying is that, at the end of it, you realize that it came from within you.

There's so many different facets to who we are. They just require the right stimulation.

Sometimes I just think about everything (jobs, hobbies, life, fun, philosophy, space and etc) and I find everything just senseless, like if nothing had meaning and our existence were empty.

Is it just me?

What you are feeling and have taken notice is what modern life really is that being it is nothing more than an endless grind and empty entertainments along with dull delusions for which the vast majority of the population the world over has sadly bought into. Pretty sad when the best advice is just have sex.... No wonder why the elites look at us as being nothing more than farmyard livestock.

What you are feeling and have taken notice is what modern life really is that being it is nothing more than an endless grind and empty entertainments along with dull delusions for which the vast majority of the population the world over has sadly bought into. Pretty sad when the best advice is just have sex.... No wonder why the elites look at us as being nothing more than farmyard livestock.

You may appreciate this...

Is it just me?

No, it's not just you. It's probably the lot of people who think and for whom entertainment/consumption is not a fix. (I don't think it is for anyone, ultimately).

I think @Deleted member 16771 is right - you seem to have experienced at least an "existential moment". Outside of the advice that's already been given, do you find that you lack a sense of purpose? I think having a purpose, something to project oneself towards, gives color and taste to everything, whereas it leaves everything feeling dull and tasteless without it.

Last edited:

have another INFJ love wave, Jenny u_u <3 <3

the only thing I might add is: it's probably not the right moment now to stress yourself out any further... this is the hard part.. be nice with yourself..as you would if you were talking to your best friend.
You can trust in your Ni. It will lead you out. breathe..center yourself...cut down a bit of people-pleasing.. all the things everyone listed here then will come naturally. :relaxed:

When I feel like that, I consult my plants... (I know how this sounds)... but I cannot think of anything more symbolic as a plant.. that shows the process of growing in a subtle, silent, natural and gentle way.
We all are in need of some kind of life ..purpose.. and vision.. the process of growing, learning, perfectioning and..a drive to change for the better.. can be that.. you will see the big picture.. you know that feeling, don't you? remember that. you always do so at some point (usually after breathing..)