Do You Dislike Being Challenged? | INFJ Forum

Do You Dislike Being Challenged?

Do You Welcome Your Statements Being Challenged?

• Yes

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • This Question is not Challenging Enough.

Votes: 11 39.3%

• Total voters

NeverAmI

Satisclassifaction
Retired Staff
Sep 22, 2009
MBTI
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
First, let me say that I understand a challenge as simply asking for elaboration and potentially providing a different perspective to better understand you.

I am curious to know the thoughts of the members of this board. Do you dislike being challenged by other people?

Are you more willing to be challenged by someone that has no intent other than to understand?

How often do you respond defensively to an unbiased challenge?

How often do you respond defensively to a seemingly biased challenge?

Last edited:
First, let me say that I understand a challenge as simply asking for elaboration and potentially providing a different perspective to better understand you. In this context, then, No

I am curious to know the thoughts of the members of this board. Do you dislike being challenged by other people? Again, not in this context, but in a more aggressive stance, or if I know i am right, or if the person is just being a dick, trying to stir up trouble, then yes, and I squash them like teeny-tiny bug. Also, i am far less defensive in here than irl...

Are you more willing to be challenged by someone that has no intent other than to understand? Absolutally!!!! I rarley mind in this case.

How often do you respond defensively to an unbiased challenge? Almost never...almost.... but if I take it wrong or am having a bad day, I might respond with total F, and that is almost always nasty!

How often do you respond defensively to a seemingly biased challenge?Seeming biased...if I take it as biased, nothing more than manipulative poking, then I tend to react pretty quickly. I am not so sure I would call it defensively. I know I can get pretty defensive, but if the challenge pisses me off, then it is more likely I am going to try to rip you apart. But again, this reaction is pretty rare in here for me... piss me off via email tho, and watch out! LOL

I do not like to be challenged by someone else in a compatition. If someone say to me something like "I bet I can run faster then you to here", I will say that I don't care and I won't do it. 9 times out of 10 if someone challenges me to something I will refused.

On a personal individual level though, I challenge myself all the time. I don't feel like I am doing better as a person if I am not working hard enough to push the limits. Challenging situations are so useful for me. As much as I do not like admitting it, if I learn something the hard way, I will only have to learn it once.

The condition for me is I have to be the one who imposes the challenge on myself.

I am pretty sure he meant your point of view being challenged...

Do you dislike being challenged by other people?
i generally welcome and encourage people to ask questions and think about motives, but it has to be sincere.

Are you more willing to be challenged by someone that has no intent other than to understand?
yea, i don't mind. :)

is this like playing the devil's advocate?
if that was the case, i don't really do debates for fun, so i usually wouldn't play that game.

i wouldn't mind, but i wished that person was more direct with their biases (if they aren't) instead of just 'suggesting' that i might be wrong.

but no, again, i don't mind.

i only mind when someone is trying to be malicious or simply does not care what i have to say on the matter. not me personally, but simply willing to hear other people's opinions and points of view.

I challenge you to a game of chess!

I am pretty sure he meant your point of view being challenged...

Indeed, this is more catered around a challenge that asks you to elaborate on something in your life or offers a different perspective to what you are used to.

If someone asks you, why do you believe that way? What are the benefits or problems with it. Why does it or doesn't it make sense?

There are definitely different ways to word questions like this.

[o_q];220805 said:
I think people generally dislike challenges that require a skill they don't have nor want.

Can you elaborate on why you draw this conclusion?

Are we talking about, the world outside of this little screen that consumes vast amounts of time out of many peoples days. I take it from that point

I am curious to know the thoughts of the members of this board. Do you dislike being challenged by other people?

In a general sense, I don't really care.

Yes, if they want to understand then, by all mean I will try to answer, doesn't mean i can always answer thought

I try to reexplain what ever i was challenged in and then answer the question.

I don't, especially if they are just goading me. I don't take well to the manipulative and would rather not be involved with them.

Reactions: NeverAmI
I like being challenged. You cannot improve without overcoming challenges.

I do not like to be challenged by someone else in a competition. If someone say to me something like "I bet I can run faster then you to here", I will say that I don't care and I won't do it. 9 times out of 10 if someone challenges me to something I will refused.

On a personal individual level though, I challenge myself all the time. I don't feel like I am doing better as a person if I am not working hard enough to push the limits. Challenging situations are so useful for me. As much as I do not like admitting it, if I learn something the hard way, I will only have to learn it once.

The condition for me is I have to be the one who imposes the challenge on myself.

I pretty much agree with all of this. ^^

Usually I try to be very careful what it is I say anyway, and if there is a topic I don't know enough about I keep my mouth shut and my ears open. I tend to be a little less censored here for whatever reason, but I prefer to challenge myself (which I do a lot of by the way) as opposed to being challenged by someone else. Unless, I am really intrigued by the subject but I will still operate on my terms.. because I'm not very competitive. I know who I am and I don't feel I need to be better than somebody to prove that. (Even if I am better.. :wink: zing.. ) Example, when I was in high school I was in Academic Decathlon, that is something you are always competing in and I LOVED it, but not to beat anyone except myself. I have a lot of medals from back then, because I'm good at taking tests, but I was always competing against myself and trying to beat my own scores.. whereas my teammates were trying to beat each other and the other teams..

If it's : a) unneeded, b) unwanted, or c) trolling, then yes. BIG YES. If it's required, I don't mind being challenged or even having my PoV horribly beaten.

Yes. Because they don't have any...emotional intention. Y'know, like trolls. Or people on opposing ideals; I tend to draw the line very quick and say "Let's agree to disagree" because that won't make any good.

Not much, but I have respond defensively and it's not fun.
I generally step back and run >_>; screw it, winning an Internet argument won't change anything, and so is losing it.

I said yes but I meant no....oops.

I challenge you to a game of chess!

I challenge you to the most dangerous game.

20090416.gif

First, let me say that I understand a challenge as simply asking for elaboration and potentially providing a different perspective to better understand you.

No, I actually enjoy it, especially when I'm wrong.

I don't think it really matters why the other person is debating against me unless it gets to a point of where that person just does not want to be wrong and is arguing illogically.
I try not too
I try not too.

I think a tricky part of this is that often you don't know if the person is challenging you because they just want to understand better or if they are trying to compete with you and prove their point. It's a really fine line. Sometimes I don't know which side of it I'm on when I challenge someone, although I try pretty hard to be on the "understand better" side. I'm uncomfortable when it gets to feel like I'm winning or losing.

Where is the "This question is too challenging" answer on this poll????

I don't mind when someone is thinking to challenge me. but yes i dislike when they mix up things with anything.

For example, if challenge is for something else, and it is in different field. If they mix up with friendship or with any relationship i am having with them, then i get bit upset.

Challenge should be challenge, don't make it so personal, after sometime you feel dislike with anyone.