Do You Dislike Being Challenged? | INFJ Forum

Do You Dislike Being Challenged?

Discussion in 'Relationships and Sociology' started by NeverAmI, Jan 29, 2010.

Share This Page

?
  1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. This Question is not Challenging Enough.

11 vote(s)
    39.3%
Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 4 users.
More threads by NeverAmI
  1. NeverAmI

NeverAmI Satisclassifaction
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    5w4
    First, let me say that I understand a challenge as simply asking for elaboration and potentially providing a different perspective to better understand you.

I am curious to know the thoughts of the members of this board. Do you dislike being challenged by other people?

Are you more willing to be challenged by someone that has no intent other than to understand?

How often do you respond defensively to an unbiased challenge?

How often do you respond defensively to a seemingly biased challenge?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 NeverAmI, Jan 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  2. enigma

enigma Armed and Fabulous!

Threads:
    MBTI:
    infj
    Enneagram:
    1w9
    First, let me say that I understand a challenge as simply asking for elaboration and potentially providing a different perspective to better understand you. In this context, then, No

I am curious to know the thoughts of the members of this board. Do you dislike being challenged by other people? Again, not in this context, but in a more aggressive stance, or if I know i am right, or if the person is just being a dick, trying to stir up trouble, then yes, and I squash them like teeny-tiny bug. Also, i am far less defensive in here than irl...

Are you more willing to be challenged by someone that has no intent other than to understand? Absolutally!!!! I rarley mind in this case.

How often do you respond defensively to an unbiased challenge? Almost never...almost.... but if I take it wrong or am having a bad day, I might respond with total F, and that is almost always nasty!

How often do you respond defensively to a seemingly biased challenge?Seeming biased...if I take it as biased, nothing more than manipulative poking, then I tend to react pretty quickly. I am not so sure I would call it defensively. I know I can get pretty defensive, but if the challenge pisses me off, then it is more likely I am going to try to rip you apart. But again, this reaction is pretty rare in here for me... piss me off via email tho, and watch out! LOL

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. IndigoSensor

IndigoSensor Product Obtained
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1w2 sx/so/sp
    I do not like to be challenged by someone else in a compatition. If someone say to me something like "I bet I can run faster then you to here", I will say that I don't care and I won't do it. 9 times out of 10 if someone challenges me to something I will refused.

On a personal individual level though, I challenge myself all the time. I don't feel like I am doing better as a person if I am not working hard enough to push the limits. Challenging situations are so useful for me. As much as I do not like admitting it, if I learn something the hard way, I will only have to learn it once.

The condition for me is I have to be the one who imposes the challenge on myself.

4. ruji

ruji Well-known member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    I think people generally dislike challenges that require a skill they don't have nor want.

5. enigma

enigma Armed and Fabulous!

Threads:
    MBTI:
    infj
    Enneagram:
    1w9
    I am pretty sure he meant your point of view being challenged...

6. xizzax

xizzax Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Do you dislike being challenged by other people?
    i generally welcome and encourage people to ask questions and think about motives, but it has to be sincere.

Are you more willing to be challenged by someone that has no intent other than to understand?
    yea, i don't mind. :)

How often do you respond defensively to an unbiased challenge?
    is this like playing the devil's advocate?
    if that was the case, i don't really do debates for fun, so i usually wouldn't play that game.

How often do you respond defensively to a seemingly biased challenge?
    i wouldn't mind, but i wished that person was more direct with their biases (if they aren't) instead of just 'suggesting' that i might be wrong.

but no, again, i don't mind.

i only mind when someone is trying to be malicious or simply does not care what i have to say on the matter. not me personally, but simply willing to hear other people's opinions and points of view.

7. Sithious

Sithious Well-known member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I challenge you to a game of chess!

8. OP
    NeverAmI

Retired Staff

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    5w4
    Indeed, this is more catered around a challenge that asks you to elaborate on something in your life or offers a different perspective to what you are used to.

If someone asks you, why do you believe that way? What are the benefits or problems with it. Why does it or doesn't it make sense?

There are definitely different ways to word questions like this.

9. OP
    NeverAmI

Retired Staff

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    5w4
    Can you elaborate on why you draw this conclusion?

10. patricky

Banned

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENTP
    I'm game

11. ruji

ruji Well-known member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
  12. Barnabas

Barnabas Time Lord

Threads:
    MBTI:
    wiblywobly
    Enneagram:
    timeywimey
    Are we talking about, the world outside of this little screen that consumes vast amounts of time out of many peoples days. I take it from that point

In a general sense, I don't really care.

Yes, if they want to understand then, by all mean I will try to answer, doesn't mean i can always answer thought

I try to reexplain what ever i was challenged in and then answer the question.

I don't, especially if they are just goading me. I don't take well to the manipulative and would rather not be involved with them.

NeverAmI likes this.
  13. Billy

Billy Contents Under Pressure
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infj
    Enneagram:
    I like being challenged. You cannot improve without overcoming challenges.

14. dneecey

dneecey I am who I am.

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1

I pretty much agree with all of this. ^^

Usually I try to be very careful what it is I say anyway, and if there is a topic I don't know enough about I keep my mouth shut and my ears open. I tend to be a little less censored here for whatever reason, but I prefer to challenge myself (which I do a lot of by the way) as opposed to being challenged by someone else. Unless, I am really intrigued by the subject but I will still operate on my terms.. because I'm not very competitive. I know who I am and I don't feel I need to be better than somebody to prove that. (Even if I am better.. :wink: zing.. ) Example, when I was in high school I was in Academic Decathlon, that is something you are always competing in and I LOVED it, but not to beat anyone except myself. I have a lot of medals from back then, because I'm good at taking tests, but I was always competing against myself and trying to beat my own scores.. whereas my teammates were trying to beat each other and the other teams..

NeverAmI likes this.
  15. Trifoilum

Trifoilum find wisdom, build hope.

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    6w5
    If it's : a) unneeded, b) unwanted, or c) trolling, then yes. BIG YES. If it's required, I don't mind being challenged or even having my PoV horribly beaten.

Yes. Because they don't have any...emotional intention. Y'know, like trolls. Or people on opposing ideals; I tend to draw the line very quick and say "Let's agree to disagree" because that won't make any good.

Not much, but I have respond defensively and it's not fun.
    I generally step back and run >_>; screw it, winning an Internet argument won't change anything, and so is losing it.

NeverAmI likes this.
  16. GaiaGraha

GaiaGraha Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    I said yes but I meant no....oops.

17. poshlost

poshlost Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    YHWH
    Enneagram:
    I challenge you to the most dangerous game.

[​IMG]

18. Reon

Reon Midnight's Garden

Threads:
    MBTI:
    Questioning?
    Enneagram:
    5w6
    No, I actually enjoy it, especially when I'm wrong.

I don't think it really matters why the other person is debating against me unless it gets to a point of where that person just does not want to be wrong and is arguing illogically.
    I try not too
    I try not too.

19. myst

myst Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    infj
    I think a tricky part of this is that often you don't know if the person is challenging you because they just want to understand better or if they are trying to compete with you and prove their point. It's a really fine line. Sometimes I don't know which side of it I'm on when I challenge someone, although I try pretty hard to be on the "understand better" side. I'm uncomfortable when it gets to feel like I'm winning or losing.

Where is the "This question is too challenging" answer on this poll????

20. Roger

Roger ...

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENFP
    Enneagram:
    -
    I don't mind when someone is thinking to challenge me. but yes i dislike when they mix up things with anything.

For example, if challenge is for something else, and it is in different field. If they mix up with friendship or with any relationship i am having with them, then i get bit upset.

Challenge should be challenge, don't make it so personal, after sometime you feel dislike with anyone.