Do SSRIs make us more confident? | INFJ Forum

Do SSRIs make us more confident?

Artemisia

Community Member
May 20, 2014
MBTI
INFJ
I have been on an SSRI for a couple of months and for the first time I feel very confident. Does an increase in serotonin make one more confident? Nothing else has changed in my life in these two months. Anyone has experience with this?

An elevation in mood would likely help one to feel more confident. It's difficult to feel confident and sure of oneself when one is, for instance, crushed under the weight of depression.

I stopped taking pills long ago. I feel no different.

It is really good that this is working for you and you are seeing results, congratulations. I think it's so important to notice changes. At times in future things may change and adjustments may need to be made, but it's all about the progress. When you observe yourself being and feeling and acting a certain way in the world, you can repeat the "performance" or deliberately implement those ways in future.

I was not able to tolerate that medication class and furthermore it had no effect on alleviating my symptoms. I had no success with it. However, a different class of psychoactive medication more or less saved my life. So I think it depends a bit on the person, whether the particular medication is useful for them, and in what ways.

They certainly can do that. Serotonin affects social perception and behavior, and having more of it can certainly make you more confident. If you want a really good explanation, read Listening to Prozac.

It didn't work for me, but it is a common effect from what I've read.