Do opposites really attract? | INFJ Forum

Do opposites really attract?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy

Why or why not? Or does it depend . . . and on what?

Maybe for awhile. Perhaps it would be a fascination. At some point, though, I think real relationships are based on some degree of harmony....not necessarily alikeness, but harmony.

It has to be the sort of opposite that is constructive. Where the two individuals mutually see how different they are, but those differences are the ideals that both of them hold that they both seek. Thus a sort of magnatism forms from it.

Maybe at the beginning or for a little while, but the differences will resurface and cause conflict unless there's understanding or compromise. Best case scenario, opposites can learn from each other and grow together. Otherwise, it doesn't usually last and they end up repelling each other.

We all want what we don't have and so opposites will find what's missing in the other person. Thus, feeling an inexplicable attraction sometimes and in some cases it could be simply curiosity that we aren't aware of.

Reactions: Gaze
Maybe for awhile. Perhaps it would be a fascination. At some point, though, I think real relationships are based on some degree of harmony....not necessarily alikeness, but harmony.
Yes and no.

If you don't have the same values, there isn't much of a foundation.

Well, I've been attracted to extroverts and have dated them before, but at this point im interested in meeting a low-key, reserved introvert,that treats me with respect, who I can trust . I dont like too much attention or too much socializing can be really annoying, even though I love to go out and have fun, but it depends on my mood at that time

it's debatable. (clearly.)

yay me. so insightful.

okay - might as well contribute something. yes and no. first off, depends on the person. different tolerance levels and preferences. to a certain extent, yes, i think opposites attract for everyone. they like to see people different from them, see qualities they don't have. however, some people can only take so much of an opposite, others more. opposite doesn't necessarily mean compatible. and opposite in what dimension? basically, to a certain extent, yes.
to what extent is a different issue. some people marry people who are very different from them, other's marry very similar people. it depends on the person's personality, tolerance, flexibility, etc.

make any sense?

Last edited:
Otherwise, it doesn't usually last and they end up repelling each other.

That "repelling" can often be onesided.

difference can be very appealing but sometimes it's not practical for the long term. It can make a relationship interesting. But it's probably the type of difference and the ability of both to handle it which determines whether it works.

My opposite would be an ignorant, retarded, psychopathic philistine. So no.

There are many opposites and many things merely considered to be opposite, yet only a few opposites that we actually focus on. In other words, this question will never be answered accurately by anyone. There could perhaps be slightly useful answers, although there would be just as many counter productive answers (if not more).

I think the best way to answer is to define what an opposite actually is. This isn't something you can leave to "common sense", otherwise this question wouldn't be so subjective.

Why or why not? Or does it depend . . . and on what?

Opposites attract up until the point you know MBTI.
After that, they repel.

The opposite of me doesn't exist, I made sure of that. :m082:

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
I think if people who are opposite to each other, complement and relish this compatibility, are also able to accept and nourish this yin-yang relationship.. Then, this relationship of opposites can be sustained.

I'm going to give a solid maybe.

Yes, especially if the attraction is taboo.

I have an inkling of an intuition telling me that...it all depends really on how balanced your type is. If you're an INFJ but quite balanced on the F/T J/P scale, etc (like myself) you tend to look for those like you because you already have a good mixture inside. The "N" business though, I think is a bit different. If you're a pretty heavy "N" I think it's very difficult to be attracted to a hard core "S" because you just can't relate. Those a bit tipsy turvy on their letters I think are more likely to be attracted to what they lack found in others.