Do INFJs get too into movies/TV/books?

Stella

Community Member
Sep 19, 2010
MBTI
ENTJ
Enneagram
8W9
I was just watching a TV show about zombies. While I know everyone talks back to the TV and gets nervous about situations, I was literately freaking out a little, my heart was pounding, and I was almost yelling at the characters. Does this happen to anyone else?

I know my mom (ENFJ, but I personally think she's more I, because while she somewhat enjoys talking to people and being social, she doesn't actively pursue it and often complains about having to go be social) was never able to watch TV shows or movies where kids were in trouble and had to put down a Harry Potter book a few times because she was so into the story.

EDIT: 100th post!!! :D

Yup this happens to me all the time. This is why I avoid movies and many tv shows. And congrats on 100 :D

I was just watching a TV show about zombies. While I know everyone talks back to the TV and gets nervous about situations, I was literately freaking out a little, my heart was pounding, and I was almost yelling at the characters. Does this happen to anyone else?

Oh, yeah. I have actually turned off a movie or show because it got "too stressful". It's very dependent on my mood though. If I'm in a very good mood I can watch just about anything and I don't have a reaction. But if I'm stressed out, then I'm very fickle about what I can watch.

Yup this happens to me all the time. This is why I avoid movies and many tv shows. And congrats on 100 :D
Thought so. All of the INFJ descriptions made me think this would be the case. If INFJs are so receptive to other people's feelings in real life, I imagine this would apply to people in stories as well.

And thanks! :D

Oh, yeah. I have actually turned off a movie or show because it got "too stressful". It's very dependent on my mood though. If I'm in a very good mood I can watch just about anything and I don't have a reaction. But if I'm stressed out, then I'm very fickle about what I can watch.
I've had to turn off shows too because of the same reason. It's been an hour since I watched the zombie show and I still feel stressed from it.

Last edited:
Oh yes this is also true for me as an INFP.

This is an unhealthy obsession. Harry potter for one has completely sucked me into the fandom. I would be desperate each new book and movie came out. Now I find myself sort of anxious for the last movie yet sad its going to be finally over. Anime and manage even more! I would spend my entire summer watching episodes, not to mention the idea of cross-dressing as an anime character is highly appealing. Manga..various fiction books..you name it..I have an obsessive personality when it comes to movies, tv shows and books xD

I've had to turn off shows too because of the same reason. It's been an hour since I watched the zombie show and I still feel stressed from it.

It's funny you should bring up zombies. I have this huge zombie phobia ( I guess you could call it). I can't watch any movie or play any video game (no resident evil for me, though I've tried) or stand anything that involves zombies. They just creep me out so bad I have the willies just writing this post.

I was literately freaking out a little, my heart was pounding, and I was almost yelling at the characters.
Yes. I also avoid watching certain things sometimes. I can numb myself and block it if I wish to, but it's not always worth doing. So sometimes the avoidance route is preferable.

Oh yes this is also true for me as an INFP.

This is an unhealthy obsession. Harry potter for one has completely sucked me into the fandom. I would be desperate each new book and movie came out. Now I find myself sort of anxious for the last movie yet sad its going to be finally over. Anime and manage even more! I would spend my entire summer watching episodes, not to mention the idea of cross-dressing as an anime character is highly appealing. Manga..various fiction books..you name it..I have an obsessive personality when it comes to movies, tv shows and books xD

Me too!

i love the feeling of getting involved in books. it feels as though the ideas and plots are a labyrinth that i'm exploring in my mind. i often feel very emotionally connected with the authorial voice of a novel while i read, as though i'm hearing a personal anecdote over coffee.

It depends for me. It's really tough for me to see anything that deals with injury to a child. Just recently I was flipping through some channels and I saw the opening scene to Grudge 3. I don't like horror movies anyway, but that just about did me in. "Grave of the Fireflies" was a anime movie that about tore my heart out (I was bawling for hours).

But I am sensitive, and I know it. In fact, any excessive scene with severe negative consequences towards innocent (or seemely innocent or newly redeemed) characters will do me in: "Deliverance"; "Bonnie & Clyde"; "Neon Genesis: Evangelion"; "Seven Pounds" (Will Smith's movie); etc.

Those types of movies will either haunt me for days or cause a cathartic release of emotions depending on my mood.

It depends for me. It's really tough for me to see anything that deals with injury to a child. Just recently I was flipping through some channels and I saw the opening scene to Grudge 3. I don't like horror movies anyway, but that just about did me in. "Grave of the Fireflies" was a anime movie that about tore my heart out (I was bawling for hours).

grave of the fireflies plunged me into this sort of torpid horror for months. i wished i hadn't watched it.

Yes, very much so. It depends on my mood—in the right mood I can block off the impressions, when emotional and alone I might find myself bawling over wife-swap, of all things—but still. If I let myself get even slightly invested in the characters, it's over. When I get obsessed with something, boy, do I get obsessed with it. Harry Potter, Burn Notice, NCIS...I could go on and on.

I've very sensitive to disturbing/depressing plot lines, too. The Prestige had me in a cloud of depression for hours.

Yes I get effected too a lot. A few years ago I found this Jack the Ripper page on the internet and read it for hours. After that I was freaked out for days and bolted my bedroom door at night. But nothing makes me feel as bad as the news. *shudders*

Last edited:
It depends... but.... >_>;; ...for ex:

1) Voices of a Distant Star (Hoshi no Koe)
My first love. ;_; It was so wonderful. (Yeah, a boy crying over a movie, but.... ;_; I should watch Grave of the Fireflies too finally ^^;; )
2) Snakes and Earrings (Kanehara Hitomi)
I was able to read it once, not again... Feeling pain from reading is quite troublesome. >_>;; (But it has a good story. :( )

I typically don't yell at the characters (except in romantic movies, because ppl can be there so stupid D: ) , but because I watch the episodes on my PC I mostly watch a 20min episode under 30+ min. >_< I just can't stay there sitting and watch. (Be it humorous or a tragic situation)

It depends on the type of situation. In an action movie, I can keep a relative distance from characters and situations, but in a sad moment it can really get me deep down, though I feel like that only enhances the experience.
It also depends on whether or not I'm with other people. I'm much more prone to let an emotional situation get to me if I'm by myself instead of with others.

Yeah, but it's a good thing, right? D: I mean, isn't it more enjoyable that way? Right?

It also depends on whether or not I'm with other people. I'm much more prone to let an emotional situation get to me if I'm by myself instead of with others.

+1, and because of this I watch movies alone. (Well. Because of this and the fact that I have quite a different taste in movies than my friends.)

Reactions: NuthatchXi
fantasy movies wrap me right up, avatar was almost too much but in a good way. never expected myself to get so involved in a movie that had alot of hype associated with it to begin with but it def took me for a ride. on the flip side i like it though, plan on buying it. pixar movies (not dreamworks people but pixar) almost always get me too, they just know how to speak to me on a level most other stuff doesnt.